Delhi: Toddler sisters playing in father's car suffer burn injuries after it catches fire

It is suspected that the fire was due to a short-circuit in the wiring system below the steering wheel.

Two sisters, aged two and three, sustained serious burn injuries on Thursday when the car they were playing in burst into flames in west Delhi's Sultanpuri area.

According to police, Deepanshi and Lakshita were playing in the Swift, which was parked inside their house around 9:30am when it caught fire. The fire was accidental and no foul play is suspected. The incident happened when their grandmother, Hanuman Singh, was inside the house while their parents were away, said a senior police officer. It is suspected that the fire was due to a short-circuit in the wiring system below the steering wheel, said the officer, adding that forensic teams are examining the vehicle.

The grandmother ran to the car on hearing the cries of help. With the help of neighbours and other family members, they doused the flames. The girls were rushed to a private Hospital. Deepanshi suffered 50 per cent burns and is out of danger, but Lakshita suffered 70 per cent burn injuries and is critical, said doctors.

Also read: Rajasthan: Forest department files FIR after angry mob set leopard on fire in Sariska

Also read: MS Dhoni, Jharkhand teammates rescued from fire at Delhi's 5-star hotel