With the crucial Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) election now days away, two surveys conducted today showed contrasting results: while the ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) claimed it is winning 218 of the 272 municipal wards, the ABP News-C Voter survey predicted an easy victory for the BJP.
In a press conference in Delhi, AAP leader Ashish Khetan said the BJP, which has controlled the Delhi civic body for 10 years, would be left with 39 wards and the Congress eight. Independent candidates and smaller parties would corner a huge 11.5 per cent of all votes but win just seven seats, he said.
On the other hand, the ABP News survey said the BJP will command an impressive 36 per cent of the votes, while the AAP will manage 26 per cent, and the Congress 17 per cent.
Here's all you need to know:
- The AAP survey said it would grab 51.2 per cent of all votes, 3.1 per cent less than what it got when it swept 67 of the 70 Assembly seats in 2015. The BJP would get 28.1 per cent of the votes, and the Congress 9.2 per cent.
- Khetan said these figures had emerged after a professional agency interviewed around 31,000 voters in Delhi on who they planned to vote for in the civic polls.
- The ABP News survey says the BJP will get the popular mandate in all the three wings of the MCD - North MCD, South MCD and the East MCD.
- The BJP has been ruling MCD for the past 10 years and is keen to maintain control over the civic body.
- Earlier this week, BJP spokesperson Tajinder Pal S Bagga had claimed the AAP survey had left Delhi Chief Minister and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal "scared".
- Releasing its manifesto on Wednesday, the AAP pledged to make Delhi sparkling, end house tax and banish corruption if it took control of the city's civic body.
- The AAP is fighting in all the 272 wards. They won five wards last year.
- While both the North Delhi Municipal Corporation and South Delhi Municipal Corporation have 104 municipal wards each, the East Delhi Municipal Corporation has 64 wards. All three were earlier one single body: Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
- The total number of voters in Delhi stands at 1,32,10,206, which include 73,15,915 men, 58,93,418 women, and 793 voters in the other category. Among them, over 1.10 lakh people will be exercising their franchise for the first time.
- The MCD election in Delhi's 272 municipal wards will be held on Sunday while the results will be declared on April 26.