New Delhi, Dec 29 (ANI): The six men accused of raping and assaulting the Delhi gang-rape victim, who died in a Singapore hospital on Saturday after fighting for life for 12 days, will now be charged with murder.
The victim whose assault in the national capital triggered nationwide protests, died in a Singapore hospital on Saturday of injuries suffered to her brain from the cardiac arrest she suffered at the Safdarjung Hospital on Tuesday night.
The victim underwent three surgeries at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, where she remained on ventilator support during most part of the treatment.
The 23-year-old victim was severely beaten, raped and thrown out of a moving bus in New Delhi, was flown to Singapore by the Indian government on Wednesday (December 26) for specialist treatment.
The Delhi Police has said they will file the chargesheet in the case on January 3, 2013 and had already invoked the stringent charges of attempt to murder and destruction of evidence against the accused.
Investigators had earlier pressed charges against them under sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC.
After the death of the victim, the police said it will charge the accused with murder too and tell the court to treat it as the rarest of rare case.
While one of the accused is a minor, the others are Ram Singh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, Mukesh and Akshay Singh alias Thakur. (ANI)