A major fire broke out in at least two godowns in Shahdara district s Gandhi Nagar area early Tuesday morning. The Delhi Fire Service (DFS) received a call about the fire was received at 7.47 am, after which 21 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. However, no loss of life or injuries has been reported so far.
Fire Chief Atul Garg said, The fire took place in a cloth godown which was shut at the time as it was early morning. This is why there were no casualties. Prima facie, it appears the fire took place due to a short-circuit.
The fire started on the ground floor of the godown and spread to the two floors on top of the building. A garment godown next door too was gutted.
Firefighters managed to douse the fire by 11.30 am. If the market was open, it would have been worse. It would have been tough for the fire tenders to even reach the spot in that case, said Garg.