Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's sister Nailah Naushad Noorani was summoned by Enforcement Directorate officials for questioning in connection with the money laundering cases against Naik and his NGO Islamic Research Foundation (IRF).
Noorani reached the ED office at 11 am today with her two relatives. While Naik's sister has earlier been probed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA), this is the first she will be grilled by ED officials.
WHY IS NAIK's SISTER UNDER THE SCANNER:
- The ED had earlier established a money trail of Rs 200 crore to Zakir Naik and his NGO IRF. Of the Rs 200 crore, nearly Rs 50 crore was deposited in Nailah's bank accounts, said sources.
- Out of this, nearly Rs 25 crore was deposited in the account of Longlast Construction, a real estate company. Naik's sister is a director of this company. She is also an additional director at Right Property Solutions from March 12, 2013.
- According to the Registrar of Companies (RoC) records, Naik and his wife Farhat Zakir Naik were promoters-cum-directors of these two real estate companies until March 2013.
- On March 13, 2013, Nailah was appointed as a director in Harmony Media, a production company. Sources said Nailah is a director in at least five shell companies floated by Zakir Naik. She was appointed a director in Majestic Perfumes and Alpha Lubricants on May 22, 2015.
- ED believes that the money flow from abroad and financial transactions in the bank accounts were handled by Naik's sister Nailah and brother Abdul Naik at a personal level. Some 20-25 bank accounts are under scanner for the alleged transactions.
- Last week, the Delhi team of NIA interrogated Nailah for two days. Nailah told investigators that she was just a rubber stamp and the companies as well as the NGO were handled by her brother Zakir Naik.