Here are the top headlines of the hour:
1. India is currently facing one of the most troubling time periods, the month of April brought forward several key challenges in terms of the COVID virus. The total tally of COVID cases has reached to 4 lakh COVID cases in a day which is the highest number in any country across the globe.
2. Patchy start to phase 3 of vaccination drive, as 18+ face appointment issues in seven states, other states and Union Territories wait for their jab consignments.
3. Another hospital fire snuffs lives of 18 COVID patients, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah condole the loss of lives, Gujarat Chief Minister announces Rs. 4 lakh ex gratia.
4. Supreme Court refuses stay on counting for Panchayat polls in Uttar Pradesh. Asks the poll panel to ensure safety of staff on Election Duty.
5. Government advisor issues warning, says ‘Cases may peak between May 3-May 5’, adds ‘Virus is spreading faster than expected’.