Coronavirus: Gallen ready to make sensational NRL return to help wounded Warriors

Paul Gallen would consider coming out of retirement to help the depleted New Zealand Warriors when the NRL season resumes.

The former Australia prop retired at the end of last season after spending his entire NRL career with Cronulla Sharks, including captaining them to their first ever premiership in 2016.

However, the 38-year-old has declared his willingness to make a comeback for the Warriors, who face a shortage of forward options ahead of a return to action at the end of May after the coronavirus-enforced suspension to the 2020 campaign.

Due to the strict biosecurity measures put in place ahead of the competition's restart, the Warriors are to be based in Gosford and play their home games at Central Coast Stadium.

But injuries are already an issue for the team, with Leeson Ah Mau joining fellow props Bunty Afoa and Jackson Frei on the sidelines. Jazz Tevaga is also a long-term absentee.

"The sacrifices they've made, I would consider it," Gallen told radio 2GB's Wide World of Sports show on Tuesday.

"Look, I only retired last year. I was doing plenty of contact work in training with the [Cronulla] Sharkies up until two months ago.

"It's probably a long shot, but I would consider it."

The Warriors - who lost their opening two games prior to the break - plan discussions with the NRL over potential loan signings to bolster their squad, though a previous request was rejected.

"We've been declined already from the NRL for loan players, but we're going to have a second discussion with them," Warriors CEO Cameron George said, according to Fox Sports.