Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Kenley Jansen confirmed he tested positive for coronavirus but has since tested negative and arrived at the team's MLB camp.
The Dodgers are preparing to open their season against the San Francisco Giants on July 23 after the start of the 2020 MLB campaign was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic in March.
Jansen believes he contracted COVID-19 from son Kaden after the four-year-old had a fever and developed other symptoms.
The family were then tested and Jansen, as well as his wife and seven-year-old daughter Natalia also tested positive.
The three-time All-Star said he is "doing great and better now" and urges everyone to take the virus seriously.
"It is real," he said on a video conference call. "Everyone in the world, take it serious. Wear your mask at all times, if you can. Because, trust me, it happens so fast.
"Once my son got it, I've seen how fast it can spread. We tried to do everything, but we all got it in the house."
Despite his positive test and having previously being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat resulting in a heart ablation procedure in 2018, Jansen never considered opting out of the shortened season.
"I love this game," he said. "I want to do it for the fans. We're all going through a tough time right now in the world together.
"I think this is a good thing for not only the Dodgers' fans but all baseball fans around the world to have something to watch on TV. Glad that I'm back and can do what we do best, which is give the game to all the fans."
Although he has been away from the Dodgers since they opened camp on July 3, Jansen has resumed throwing and expects to be ready when they begin the season against the Giants.
The right-hander appeared in 62 games in 2019, striking out 80 over 63 innings while recording 33 saves with a career-worst 3.71 ERA, missing the All-Star Game for the first time since 2015.
The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career with the Dodgers and his 301 saves are the most in franchise history.