Washington, Dec. 18 (ANI): Not even a national tragedy is safe from social media 'tomfoolery and hoaxes'.
After the mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday, which left 20 children and six adults dead, most of the people who took to Twitter and Facebook were there to share their sympathies and discuss political action.
According to ABC News, but some created fake Twitter, YouTube and Facebook profiles appearing to be Adam Lanza, the shooter, and his brother Ryan.
Many of the accounts have been disabled by Twitter and other services, but some still exist.
For instance, as of Monday afternoon, there were a few Adam Lanza accounts on Twitter.
One's description said "Murder for Hire" while another said, "My Name is Adam Lanza and I'm from Newtown, CT. I hate Kids."
At a press conference on Sunday, Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance addressed the issue, the report said.
"Misinformation is being posted on social media sites," Vance said.
"There has been misinformation coming from people posing as the shooter in this case, using other IDs, mimicking this crime, crime scene and criminal activity that took place in this community," he said.
"It is important to note that we have discussed with federal authorities that these issues are crimes, they will be investigated statewide and federally, and prosecution will take place when people perpetrating this information are identified," he added.
According to the report, Vance, however, did not specify which accounts were in question and what messages specifically had been shared.
Twitter too did not comment on which accounts had been taken down, the report added. (ANI)