Congress president Sonia Gandhi convened meet of Congress Working Committee that was expected to lay foundation for Rahul Gandhi's coronation as the next party frontman has announced the poll schedule.
It is now almost certain that Rahul Gandhi will be elevated as Congress president before votes are cast for Gujarat Assembly election.
The notification for Congress President poll will be issued on December 1, candidates will file nominations on December 4, voting for the coveted post will take place on December 16, and the counting will be held on December 19.
Rahul Gandhi is one confirmed candidate, who will be filing nomination for the post. If no other party leader files nomination till the last date of doing so, Rahul Gandhi will be elected as Congress president unopposed.
Pradesh Congress Committees and frontal organisations have also unanimously passed resolutions announcing that Rahul should be made the party president.
Rahul Gandhi's elevation has been deferred several times in the past as he reportedly wished to take the mantle officially after November 19, the 100th birth anniversary of his grandmother and former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
The CWC meet was held at Sonia Gandhi's Janpath 10 residence.
HERE ARE THE UPDATES:
- Congress Working Committee passes resolution to make Rahul Gandhi party president.
- BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi comments on the CWC meet, "Congress is on ventilator while their heir-apparent is on accelerator. No surprise element in the coronation of another feudal mindset..."
Congress MP .@DeependerSHooda : Organisational poll schedule which will culminate into elevation of Rahul Gandhi ji as party president will be discussed. We all looking forward to this day and Rahulji as President will strengthen our party .@IndiaToday pic.twitter.com/Z3kcbCsehg- Supriya Bhardwaj (@Supriya23bh) November 20, 2017
- Congress leader Deepender Hooda said, "We all looking forward to this day. Rahulji as party president will strengthen our party."
- Delhi: Congress Working Committee(CWC) meeting to begin shortly, leaders arrive at 10 Janpath pic.twitter.com/pHKnqYdLDd
- ANI (@ANI) November 20, 2017
With inputs from Supriya Bhardwaj