Lakshmi, a 33-year-old daily wage earner, was beaten multiple times by a railway police officer while she was resting at a platform of the Coimbatore Central Railway Station.
She was waiting near the lobby of the platform to board a train to Palakkad in Kerala and was accompanied by her husband and kin.
HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
- Witnesses claim that around 3am the government railway police officer Pandian poured a bucket of water at the woman and her family asking them to leave.
- When Lakshmi protested against his rude behaviour, Pandian reportedly hit her multiple times on her hip and stomach.
- Lakshmi, who was pregnant, screamed in pain on being hit following which a large crowd gathered and Pandian was removed from the site by fellow policemen.
- An ambulance was called in and Lakshmi was rushed to a hospital but the doctors were unable to save the 4-month-old foetus.
- "I asked him why he poured water on us because we were only sleeping there. He thrashed me several times. My stomach and back hurt. We conceived this baby after 8 long years," Lakshmi said.
- The witnesses also claimed that Pandian was drunk when the incident took place.
- No complaint has been filed against the cop as yet.