Christians across the globe observe Good Friday
Christians across the globe observe Good Friday today, marking the death of Jesus Christ and his crucifixion at Calvary mountain.
It is observed during the Holy Week on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday when Jesus rose from the dead. The death of Jesus is marked as 'good' as it is believed that the ultimate sacrifice of his very life resulted in the saving of mankind from God's wrath and the forgiveness of everyone's sins.
Devotees attend the Holy Mass on this day in which the way of the cross is also chanted, and the rest of the day is spent in reflection, prayers, and fasting. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to share a message on Good Friday.
Today, on Good Friday, we remember the service & sacrifice of Jesus Christ. His was a life devoted to mitigating human suffering.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 14, 2017
Easter will be celebrated on Sunday to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus after three days of his crucifixion, as Christians end their 40 days of Lent and indulge in merry-making and festivities.
- Pakistan must engage effectively with Donald Trump Administration, says Pervez Musharraf
- CRPF viral video: FIR registered against youth ill-treating jawans
- Hema Malini drinks daily, has she committed suicide: Maharashtra MLA on farmers' suicide
- Singapore Open: Sindhu, Marin to renew rivalry in quarters
- Ambedkar's contribution to making India a nation remains undisputed: Sonia Gandhi