Caf Champions League - Petro de Luanda 2-2 Mamelodi Sundowns: Masandawana remain undefeated in Group C

Gaston Sirino and Motjeka Madisha netted for the Brazilians, while the hosts scored through Job and Jacques Tuyisenge

Mamelodi Sundowns fought back to hold Petro de Luanda to a 2-2 draw in the Caf Champions League Group C match played on Saturday afternoon.

Petro were looking to register their maiden victory in the group stage after drawing 2-2 draw with Moroccan giants Wydad Casablanca in their previous game.

Rwandan striker Jacques Tuyisenge started in attack for Toni Casano's side with Brazilian playmaker Toni a noticeable absentee from the starting line-up.

On the other hand, Sundowns were hoping to maintain their unbeaten record in the group stage after defeating Algerian champions USM Alger 2-1 in their previous match.

Pitso Mosimane named a strong team despite Masandawana having already booked their place in the quarter-finals with the influential duo of Themba Zwane and Gaston Sirino starting.

The hosts were the better side in the opening exchanges with Denis Onyango the busier of the two goalkeepers as he produced two great saves to deny Picas.

However, the visitors were awarded a penalty after a handball incident in the Petro box following a move involving Masandawana attacker Zwane.

Sirino then stepped up and beat Petro goalkeeper Gerson to make it 1-0 to Sundowns seven minutes before the half-hour mark.

The hosts then upped the tempo and they were given a penalty after Anele Ngcongca was adjudged to have handled the ball in the Sundowns box.

The resultant penalty was then converted by Job to make it 1-1 in the 41st minute and the score was level during the half-time break.

Sundowns struggled to create chances after the restart with the Petro defence looking solid and compact.

Onyango went down injured which was a big blow for the 2016 Champions League winners and he was replaced by Zambia international Kennedy Mweene.

Mosimane also introduced former Al Ahly attacker Phakamani Mahlambi, who injected some pace into the visitors' attack as they looked to restore their lead.

However, it was the hosts who grabbed a late goal when Picas set-up Tuyisenge and the striker made no mistake as he beat Mweene to make it 2-1 to Petro with 19 minutes left.

The visitors never lost hope and they managed to snatch an equalising goal when Motjeka Madisha headed home deep into stoppage time to ensure that the match ended in a 2-2 draw.

The draw saw Sundowns remain at the top of the Group C standings with one match left, while Petro, who have already been eliminated, moved up to the third place.