Buckingham Palace has said it will "confirm in due course" how Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's titles are styled, following suggestions that Meghan had been given the title of a divorced royal family member.
On Saturday, following days of discussions between Prince Harry and senior royals, a statement from the Queen confirmed she had given her grandson and his wife her blessing to step down from royal duties. But, it was caveated, the Sussexes would not use their HRH titles going forward, "as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family".
Instead, as of Spring 2020, Meghan and Harry would be known as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Harry, Duke of Sussex. But Sky News has been told that Buckingham Palace will be reviewing those titles, all because of a controversial comma.
Meghan and Harry aren't the first royals to lose their HRH status; following her divorce from Prince Charles, Diana became Diana, Princess of Wales. Similarly, after her split from Prince Andrew, Sarah Ferguson became formally known as Sarah, Duchess of York.
Meghan's new title follows this pattern exactly, and aAs Sky's events commentator, Alastair Bruce, pointed out, the Duchess' title in particular "inadvertently gives all the wrong messages because, in convention, the style suggested is the one adopted to express divorce."
While Meghan has been divorced - she split from former husband Trevor Engelson in 2013 - the format of the title she's been given mirrors that of a woman who has divorced from a royal family member, which is not the case.
As a result, the Palace has confirmed it will be confirm due course whether the titles will be changed, or not. Arguably, however, as Prince Harry has also received exactly the same style of title, there is no need to change it.
Harry has now joined Meghan Markle and baby Archie in Vancouver Island in Canada, after departing from the UK last night. The Duke was pictured boarding a domestic jet to the island following his international flight, as he prepared to start his new life in North America. It's not known when he'll next be back in the UK.
Before he joined his wife and son in Canada, Harry had to attend some pre-organised events in a royal capacity in London. On Sunday night, the Prince spoke at a formal private dinner for his charity Sentebale about his "great sadness" at the change ahead.
"Once Meghan and I were married, we were excited, we were hopeful, and we were here to serve," he said. "For those reasons, it brings me great sadness that it has come to this.
"The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly. It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges and I know I haven’t always got it right, but as far as this goes there really was no other option."
Here's hoping Harry and Meghan's new, more private life brings them all the peace and happiness they deserve.
Follow Cat on Instagram.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
You Might Also Like