Tennis legend Boris Becker is facing a string of criminal charges over claims he failed to cooperate with his bankruptcy proceedings.
The 52-year-old Grand Slam champion was declared bankrupt in June 2017, and last year faced claims that he had failed to fully declare his estate to the Official Receiver.
The High Court imposed restrictions on Becker's finances until 2031, after the Insolvency Service revealed it has investigated “undisclosed” transactions totalling more than £4.5 million.
In the latest twist in the saga, Becker now faces a string of criminal charges and is due to appear before magistrates later this month.
An Insolvency Service spokesperson said today: “We can confirm that a prosecution has been brought against Boris Becker. The first hearing is on 24 September at Westminster Magistrates Court."
Restrictions on Becker's bankruptcy were initially imposed for just a year in 2017, but the retired tennis ace agreed to a 12-year Bankruptcy Restrictions Undertaking when accused last year of failing to be upfront about his finances.
The measures mean he currently cannot borrow more than £500 without informing the lender that he is bankrupt, is not allowed to act as a company director, and requires court permission to be involved in the running of a company.
Becker, who lives in Wimbledon, was a teenage tennis sensation from the mid-1980, securing millions in prize money during a trophy laden career.
But in recent years he has repeatedly been in the headlines for his financial woes.
Last year he auctioned off a collection of memorabilia including a watch given to him by fellow tennis ace Novak Djokovic.
Becker has been told to attend court to face the charges for the first time on September 24. He had not yet entered any pleas.
The prosecution is being brought by the Insolvency Service, on behalf of the Department for business energy and industrial strategy.
Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK