Bombay HC Orders Striking Doctors to Return to Work

Corporator blames BMC for 6-year-old’s death while riding horse at Cooperage garden.

The Bombay High Court has officially ordered doctors, who have been on strike for the past four days, to resume work immediately. The court has also requested them to give the government some time to provide them with proper security.

The HC ordered the government to provide security at government hospitals for doctors, so that they can do their jobs without fear of being attacked. The HC will address the matter after 15 days, according to ANI reports

They said that the issues and demands of the doctors can be amicably resolved with the state government.

Chief Justice Chellur said:

“The doctors will have to first go and resume their duty. All other issues can be amicably sorted out gradually.”

Also Read: Health Services Hit in Maharashtra As 4,000 Doctors Go On Strike

Court Assures Doctors of Protection and Open Dialogue

The bench said that the doctors can sit with the government and also the state-appointed committee and resolve their disputes.

State Advocate General Rohit Deo informed the HC that the government has decided to deploy an additional 1,100 armed police personnel from Maharashtra State Security Corporation in all the state and civic-run hospitals. Deo said:

The first lot of 500 police personnel will be deployed at hospitals in Mumbai on April 5. The remaining 600 will be deployed at hospitals across the state by April 30

The court accepted this statement and asked the doctors to resume work.

The Judges said“You (doctors) resume work and see if everything is done as assured by the government. We will hear the matter every fortnight and supervise the issue,” the judges said.

Also Read: As Strike Goes On, Another Doctor Alleges Attack at Sion Hospital

Devendra Fadnavis Appeals to Resident Doctors

On Wednesday, The Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors (MARD) had filed an affidavit in court, saying that they were ready for duty, but want surety of safety from both the government and the administration.

The Bombay HC has assured that no punitive action will be taken against protesting doctors once they resume their duties.

The CM had earlier sypathised with the plight of the government doctors, saying:

We will take strong legal action against those who attack doctors and will ensure doctors’ security. We understand that the doctors are working in strained and horrible conditions sometimes, but we request them to resume work immediately.

On Thursday afternoon, Devendra Fadnavis met with MARD at Mantralaya to discuss a probable course of action that would benefit both the doctors and the general public. Government officials said the association was satisfied with Fadnavis’ promise and will call off the four-day strike by Thursday evening. MARD is yet to make any announcement regarding the meeting.

Also Read: Over 40K Delhi Doctors Join Maha Protests, to Strike on Thursday

Nearly 4,000 resident doctors are staying away from work since Monday, demanding enhanced security in the wake of a string of attacks on doctors by patients' relatives at government hospitals across the state.

Maharashtra has witnessed four separate cases of doctors being attacked in the last week alone. Assault cases were lodged after doctors were attacked in Nashik, Dhule, Sion and Aurangabad.

Also Read: Here’s Why Doctors at AIIMS Are Wearing Helmets to Work