New Delhi: In a deadly ambush by Naxals, 25 CRPF personnel were killed in Chhattisgarhâs Sukhma district.
- Seven personnel are reported to be missing, and four others injured
- The Maoists ambushed the CRPFâs 74th Battalion at Kala Pathar near Chintagufa, the worst Maoist violence-affected area in South Bastar
- According to CRPF Deputy Inspector General M Dinakaran, the CRPF men were out for a road opening task, when they came under heavy fire from Naxalites
ALSO READ | They Were 300 in Number, We Also Killed Many of Them: CRPF Survivor
- The attack on the battalion started early in the afternoon around 1pm and went on for an hour
- Constable Sher Mohammed, a survivor, said there were close to 300 Maoists who ambushed the troops
- The Naxals looted all arms and ammunition of the CRPF jawans
ALSO READ | 25 CRPF Men Killed in Encounter With Maoists at Sukma; Sacrifice Will Not Go in Vain, Says PM
- âFirst, villagers traced our location and strength then almost 300 Naxals attacked us. In retaliatory firing, we also killed many of them. At least 3-4 Naxals were shot in the chest,â said Constable Mohammed
- The Maoists, he added, were carrying automatic weapons, AK47s and INSAS rifles
ALSO READ | Here's a Look at Recent Attacks on CRPF Personnel
- Reinforcement from the nearest CRPF camp was rushed to the spot and the injured were airlifted to Raipur for treatment.
- A major search operation is underway and CRPF Cobra teams are on the lookout for the attackers.