'Yahoo brings Vikas @ Home' is a brand new 52-week video series from Yahoo Lifestyle Cuisine. Every week, Masterchef Vikas Khanna will bring you one dish that has made a difference in his life; as he shares the recipe, he will also share his experiences and stories behind that recipe. Stay tuned for an exciting 52-week journey with Chef Vikas.
EPISODE 26: ONION PAKODAS
Pakodas or fritters are synonymous with the monsoon season in India. In this episode, Chef Vikas shows you an incredibly easy onion pakoda recipe. Try it out at home.
3 large onions, finely sliced
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
A few sprigs fresh cilantro, finely chopped
½ cup gram flour (besan)
3 cups vegetable oil
1. In a mixing bowl, combine sliced onions with chilli powder, sugar, salt, lemon juice and cilantro and mix well. Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes to allow onions to sweat.
2. Mix gram flour into the onions.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai (or wok) over medium flame.
4. Divide onion mixture into lime-sized pieces and carefully drop in the hot oil. Deep fry till golden and crisp. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
5. Serve hot with mint chutney.
Make this dish at home and let us know how it turned out. Do keep in touch with us by sending in your comments/feedback in the comments space below. See you next week!