Have you been following news on the Assam riots and the North East exodus from the rest of the country to Guwahati? Something seems to be happening, and the disappearance of your Nepali guard was strangely linked with violence in Mumbai. Similarly, the reappearance of the Mizo students next door is linked with refugees returning home from relief camps.
Here's a snapshot view of events as they happened.
- Widespread riots between Bodos and Bengali speaking Muslims broke out around July 20.
- July 25. At least 36 people have been killed and 500 villages torched.
- By July 30, the death toll had risen and close to 2,00,000 riot victims were living in relief camps.
- Rumor regarding alleged attacks on North Eastern students in Pune and New Delhi spread in early August.
- On August 12, protesters gathered in Mumbai's Azad Maidan (apparently students from one Raza Academy) attacked the police force, torched vehicles and damaged the Amar Jawan memorial. Two people were killed and an estimated 54 wounded,