Blast in Lahore Targets Census Team, 6 Dead, 14 Injured

Pakistan launched the national census last month, its first in 19 years. Two of those killed were census workers.

A suicide bomber killed at least six persons, including four soldiers, and injured several others in Pakistan's Lahore city when he blew himself up near an army vehicle on Wednesday.

The blast targeted a census team on Lahore's Bedian Road. Punjab government spokesman Malik Ahmed Khan said six people were killed, including four army personnel. Khan added that as many as 14 people were injured in the explosion, Geo TV reported.

Also Read: Pakistan Military Aids Terror Groups Against India: US Think Tank

TV footage and photographs from the scene of the attack showed two vans and a motorcycle damaged by the explosion.

The details about the attacker – whether he carried out the attack on foot or he was riding a motorcycle – were not immediately available.

Rescue teams have reached the site and a security cordon has been put in place around it.

According to Geo TV, no terrorist organisation has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, but Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said it appeared to be a terrorist attack. 

Lahore had been on a security high alert for a while. On 23 February, a blast in an upscale area in the city killed eight people and injured 30 people.

Also Read: What Durrani Denied About 26/11 is More Crucial Than His Admission

Join The Quint on WhatsApp. Type “JOIN” and send to 9910181818