BJP pulls up Lalu for attacking PM Modi

Patna (Bihar) [India], Apr 19 (ANI): The government on Wednesday hit back at Lalu Prasad Yadav over his allegations that the Supreme Court's verdict in Babri Masjid demolition case was a conspiracy by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to remove Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) veteran Lal Krishna Advani from the Presidential race and said that it would be better if the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) supremo focuses on the corruption charges levelled against him.

"I want to give a suggestion to Lalu Prasad Yadav that on him and his family there are serious allegations related to corruption, so first focus on that and it will be better to answer those questions," Union Law and Justice Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad told ANI.

After the Supreme Court restored conspiracy charges against Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti besides others in connection with the Babri Masjid demolition case, Prasad said that they would thoroughly study the matter.

"After looking into the matter properly, because the order is by the honourable Supreme Court then we will comment according to that. I only want to say that Advani ji, Joshi ji are our respected leaders and we respect them," he added.

Lalu had earlier levelled a very serious allegation against Prime Minister Modi and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). He alleged that Prime Minister Modi and the RSS leadership have with the help of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) clipped the wings of Advani, whose name was in the running for the next President.

Earlier in the day, the apex court allowed the CBI's appeal in the Babri Masjid demolition case and restored criminal conspiracy charges against the above mentioned BJP veterans including Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh.

However, Kalyan Singh, who was the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh in 1992, enjoys constitutional immunity as the Rajasthan Governor and can be tried only after he leaves office.

The apex court ordered that two separate cases in Lucknow and Raebareli against Advani, Joshi and Bharti and unknown 'kar sevaks' shall be brought together in one trial.

The Supreme Court also directed the trial court in Lucknow to commence the proceedings in four weeks and hear the matter on a day-to-day basis so as to complete the hearing in two years. The apex court also said there will be no 'de novo' (fresh) trial.

The CBI has been ordered to ensure that at least one prosecution witness appears in the trial court for recording of testimony.

To ensure speedy trial, the top court has given two important directions - first, no party shall be granted adjournments without the sessions judge being satisfied of the reasons for it; second, the trial judge hearing the case shall not be transferred till the judgement is delivered.

The Supreme Court also said that its order should be followed in letter and spirit. If the parties involved feel that the top court's order is not being followed in letter and spirit then they will be having the liberty to approach the apex court. (ANI)