Prime Minister Narendra Modi today offered prayers at the 11th century Lingaraj Temple in Bhubaneswar in Odisha.
The Prime Minister spent around half-an-hour in the temple premises. PM Modi offered flowers, bel leaves, milk, coconut water and water to the deity.
Prime Minister Modi also visited the temple of Goddess Bhubaneswari and Parbati, said Manoranjan Panigrahy, CEO of the Lingaraj Temple Administration. The 'seveyats' or temple priests did not miss a chance to take selfies with the Prime Minister. The 54-metre high temple is spread over a 25,000 sq.ft area and has over 150 small and big subsidiary temples in its premises.
Before his visit to the temple, Modi met the families of freedom fighters who were part of the Paika rebellion against the British East India Company in 1817. He felicitated them at the Raj Bhawan.
Modi arrived here on Saturday to attend the two-day BJP National Executive meeting that began later in the day. He also held a roadshow ahead of the meet. The Prime Minister will address the concluding session on Sunday.
Here are the latest updates:
- BJP National Executive meet: Narendra Modi offers prayers at Lingaraj temple in Bhubaneswar
- Virtual museums would be set up at 50 places in the country to highlight the 'significant' role of the tribals in the freedom struggle: PM Modi
- Unfortunately, the history of freedom struggle was restricted to a few families, years and a few incidents.
- It was a massive people's movement for many years and the present generation must know about it.
- As several events took place for many years of the freedom struggle, it is important to remember all such events, he said.
- The glorious chapters of history serve as inspiration and people should link themselves with the past.
- History plays an important role in fulfilment of dreams in the journey of human life: PM Modi
- Unfortunately the massive struggle of independence in our country was restricted to few families and incidents: PM Modi in Odisha.
- PM meets families of freedom fighters who took part in Paika Rebellion against British East India Company.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi to visit Lingaraj Temple in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.