In a bid to encourage people to use public transport, the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) has revised its fares for both AC and non-AC buses.
Price of tickets for 2-4km and 6-8km distance onwards have been slashed.
WHAT ARE THE REVISED RATES?
- Now pay Rs 10 if you travelling less than 4km, rate slashed by Rs 2.
- Fare of travel distance more than 4km has been increased by Rs 1, i.e. Rs 15.
- The minimum charge of ordinary buses remains unchanged at Rs 5.
- Enjoy AC bus rides at Rs 10, Rs 30, Rs 40, and Rs 90 for a journey up to 26-28 km, reduced from Rs 15, Rs 35, Rs 45, and Rs 95 respectively.
- In the fourth and fifth stage, prices remain the same as Rs 17 and 19 respectively.
BMTC has also shortened certain routes due to overload and has passed the buck to the Government of Karnataka to provide more buses.
BMTC MD Ekroop Caur said, "We will incur a loss of Rs 4.5 lakh per day due to the reduced fares.
It is believed that increase in fares will discourage people from taking short haul buses.
But the Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy said that since several especially those working in far off places use the BMTC bus on a regular basis, the fare reduction will only benefit them.
BMTC is a private transport system which works under the transport department.