Assembly bypolls: Prestige battles for AAP in Bawana, Manohar Parrikar in Panaji
The Aam Aadmi Party would like to win Bawana bypoll which would boost the morale of workers after setbacks in Rajouri Garden bypolls, civic polls and Punjab and Goa Assembly elections.
Polling for Assembly bypolls in Delhi, Goa and Andhra Pradesh is underway. While in Delhi, the ruling Aam Aadmi Party is battling a prestige battle in Bawana, in Goa, CM Manohar Parrikar would look to register a emphatic victory win to further cement his place as a stalwart politician.
Arvind Kejriwal's AAP is desperate for a win in Bawana in north-west Delhi after successive defeats in civic elections and Rajouri Garden Assembly by-election.
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- In Bawana, there is triangular contest between the AAP, BJP and Congress. Eight candidates are in the fray in the election that is being carried out through 379 polling stations. The counting will take place on August 28.
- Though the AAP enjoys an overwhelming majority in the Assembly with 65 MLAs, a victory in the bypoll would be a shot in the arm.
- The AAP has fielded Ram Chander from the constituency.
- The party would like to win Bawana bypoll which would boost the morale of workers after setbacks in Rajouri Garden bypoll, civic polls and Punjab and Goa Assembly elections.
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his cabinet colleagues and top AAP leaders campaigned hectically in the constituency.
- The BJP has fielded Ved Prakash, who won from Bawana in 2015 Assembly elections on an AAP ticket. He had resigned from the MLA post and quit the AAP to join the BJP in March this year.
- In the Panaji contest, Chief Minister and BJP stalwart Manohar Parrikar is in the fray against Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi's confidante Girish Chodankar. Panaji has been a bastion for BJP since 1994.
- In Valpoi, the BJP has fielded Congress rebel and Health Minister Vishwajeet Rane, whose main opponent is Roy Naik, the son of former state Home minister Ravi Naik, of the Congress.
- In Andgra Pradesh, voting is underway for by-election to Nandyal Assembly seat in Kurnool district.
- The bypoll was necessitated following the death of sitting MLA Bhuma Nagi Reddy, who won the seat in 2014 as YSR Congress candidate but later switched over to the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in 2016.
- The TDP has fielded Reddy's nephew Brahmananda Reddy while the YSRC put up former minister Silpa Chandra Mohan Reddy.