Bokajan, November 17: Another case of electrocution of elephants has come to the fore, this time, from Assam. A wild tusker was electrocuted in Nambar Nadi tea estate in Bokajan on Friday after it came in contact with a live high voltage electric wire. Residents in the vicinity spotted the lifeless body of the elephant and immediately intimated the forest officials and the police. Locals have alleged that negligence on the part of the power department led to the death of the elephant.
In the recent past, a number of cases of elephant deaths by electrocution have been reported in the country. An elephant was electrocuted to death on Thursday after coming in contact with an 11kv electric line in Mayurbhanj's Sansarasposi village in Odisha on Thursday, just over two weeks after seven elephants died after coming in contact with non-rectification of sagging lines and non-cabling of transmission lines in another district in the state. Man Dies of Electrocution in Kolkata, Touches a Partially Damaged Electrical Distribution Box.
Data from the environment ministry shows that 655 elephant deaths took place in India from 2009 to 2017. The reasons for the death of tuskers include electrocution, train accidents, poaching, and poisoning.
(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from Syndicated News feed, LatestLY Staff may not have modified or edited the content body)