Tension grips Assam's Dhemaji district after clashes broke out between police and a mob during a mass rally in Silapathar on Monday.
According to reports, the rally which was organised by the Nikhil Bharat Bengali Udbastu Samanvay Samiti (NIBBUSS) turned violent after a scuffle between them and members of the All Assam Students Union (AASU) turned ugly.
- Several people including police personnel were injured in the clash.
- Police resorted to lathi-charge and fired teargas shells to disperse the crowd, following which a curfew was imposed in the area.
- As many as nine NIBBUSS members have been arrested for Monday's attack on AASU office in Silapathar.
- Army also staged a flag march in the area to prevent the situation from escalating further.
- According to reports, NIBBUSS carried out the rally demanding citizenship for Hindu migrants from Bangladesh.
- This demand has been long opposed by groups like the AASU, who feel such a step will affect the rights of the indigenous people of Assam.
- Condemning the attack, AASU has called for a state-wide protest on today.
- Several other indigenous organizations are also voicing concerns to safeguard the interests and rights of Assam people.
- Meanwhile, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has ordered a probe into Monday's clash.