January 15 is celebrated as Army Day every year in India. The date marks the day the first Indian Marshal General KM Cariappa took charge of the Indian Army in 1949. Cariappa took over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Chief.
Every year on Army Day, parades are organized in different cities. However, the Army Day parade at the Cariappa Parade Ground in Delhi is the most awaited for.
The Cariappa Parade, attended by noted Army officials, is also live-streamed on news channels for the citizens to watch.
Here are the most important things you ought to know about Army Day:
1. The Army Day parade at the Cariappa Parade Ground in Delhi’s Cantonment area is the highlight of the day. The parade is led by the General Officer Commanding at the Headquarter, Delhi Area. Army Chief Gen Naravane will be accompanied by the other two service chiefs at the parade.
2. The Cariappa Parade ground, the largest one in Delhi, is named after the first Field Marshal of India as a tribute.
3. The newly appointed Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Bipin Rawat will also take the salute today.
4. Today, the Army Chief will also distribute gallantry awards to soldiers and unit citations to different battalions for outstanding and sustained performance during operations.
5. Param Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra awardees also attend the Army Day parade every year.
6. The parade also includes a combat display and military hardware display.
7. For the first time ever, a woman officer will be the Parade Adjutant. Captain Taniya Shergil, who was commissioned into the Corps of Signals two years ago, has played an important role in directing the parade.