Arms bribery case: Businessman Abhishek Verma, wife discharged by court
A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on 26 April discharged businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife Anca Maria in connection with an arms deal bribery case.
Verma and his wife were arrested for allegedly bribing officials to get arms conglomerate Rheinmetall removed from blacklist of the defence ministry for arms deals. They had been behind bars since 2012.
A judge noted that the investigative agency did not bring enough evidence to frame charges against the accused in the case.
The German company has been accused by the CBI of paying Verma over USD 5,30,000 to get it off a defence ministry blacklist.
The CBI started its investigation into the bribery scandal in 2011.
- Bribery case: Dinakaran moves bail application
- Supreme Court suggests Centre to give statutory status to NGO registration
- Indian envoy files appeal with Pak Foreign Secy for early release of Kulbhushan Jadhav
- BJP will punish perpetrators of Sukma encounter: Amit Shah
- Tamil Nadu: Removal of VK Sasikala posters brings AIADMK rival factions closer