New Delhi, May 28: Former India cricketers Anil Kumble and VVS Laxman are hopeful of the Indian Premier League (IPL) happening this year and they are not averse to the idea of conducting the cash-rich event behind closed doors and at three or four venues due to the COVID-19 threat.
It is not official yet but there is speculation that the BCCI wants to hold the IPL in the October window after the tournament was postponed indefinitely earlier this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Speaking exclusively on Star Sports' show, Cricket Connected, ICC Cricket Committee Chairman, Kumble said, "Yes we are hopeful and optimistic that there's still a possibility if we can cram in the schedule. If we are going to have a stadium without spectators, then probably have 3 or 4 venues; there's still a possibility, we are all optimistic."
Former India batsman Laxman said the stakeholders can stage the league in cities which have multiple stadia to reduce travelling by players. "Absolutely, and also make sure that all the stakeholders have a say."
"Anil (Kumble) mentioned that you can have two or four venues, I still feel that you should identify one venue, which probably has 3 or 4 grounds; if at all you find that kind of a venue because travel is again going to be quite challenging. You don't know who's going to be where at the airports, so that I'm sure the franchises and the BCCI will be looking into," the Sunrisers Hyderabad mentor added further.