American Airlines Leaves Children Travelling Alone With Disabilities Stranded at Charlotte Airport, Apologises After Backlash

Team Latestly

American Airlines have come under the fire for leaving minor disabled children stranded at an airport for hours together after their flight was delayed on Friday. Nine children had to go through the ordeal after their layover from Charlotte, NC, to Portland, Oreland was delayed for 13 hours. The children were returning to Portland from a summer camp in Virginia to Portland when the incident happened. According to the differently-abled kids, they were not given proper meals, medication or even proper adult supervision. Parents of the children in Portland were enraged after knowing how their children were treated by the airlines and demanded an explanation. They eventually had to shell out hundreds of dollars to get their children back home safely. Man's Nose Bitten Off in a Mid-Air Brawl on Ryanair Flight, Passengers Horrified (Watch Video)

Also Read | Indian Team Defeat England by 36 Runs in the Final of Physical Disability World Series 2019

The kids had spent a week at Camp New Friends, a specialist program for children with the genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, in which tumours develop in the brain, spinal cord, nerves and skin. Kristie Hoyt, a mother of one of the claimed she had to contact the airline crew to find out what was happening to her kid as the airline did not update her. She also took to Facebook addressing the issue.

Check Out Her Facebook Post Here:

Also Read | India Defeat Pakistan by 8 Wickets in Physical Disability World Cricket Series 2019, Book Place in Final

American spokesman Ross Feinstein in a statement told USA Today, "Unfortunately, after boarding Flight 1736 from Charlotte to Portland on Friday, the flight experienced a mechanical delay that caused it to remain in Charlotte overnight. The children were kept in our dedicated unaccompanied minor room where they were kept safe and comfortable in the care of American Airlines personnel at all times. They departed to Portland on Saturday morning."