Alonso hints at leaving McLaren in 2018

Johannesburg [South Africa], May 2 (ANI): McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has hinted that he could leave the team at the end of the season.

During the Russian Grand Prix on Sunday, Alonso had his car ground to a halt even before the race started in Sochi.

It was but obvious for the Spaniard to be angry, but he tried to be philosophical as he said that such things happen in sport.

"As for me, I tried this weekend to drive as fast as I can, helped the team in the way I could and now I'm going home. Next is Barcelona, but if I get there and I cannot run, what am I going to do?" Sport24 quoted him as saying.

"I do my job, but there is someone who doesn't do theirs."

Last month, McLaren had announced that they would return to the Indianapolis 500, using Honda engines after an absence of nearly 38 years.

McLaren had further said that Alonso, who has won 32 of the 275 Grand Prix he started, would run in the 101st Indianapolis 500, featuring a joint entry with Honda and Andretti Autosport.

The 35-year-old also insisted that he will not quit Formula 1 in frustration of his situation.

"F1 is my life, I hope we can improve the situation soon," he said.

But with his contract expiring in 2017, it could mean that he could at least quit McLaren-Honda.

"I think in 2018 we will see what will happen with each of us," he told the reporters in Spain. (ANI)