Sasikala’s hand-picked loyalist Edappadi K Palanisamy, who was elected All India anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) Legislative Party chief, will now stake claim to power. Following his meeting with Governor Vidyasagar Rao shortly, he was invited to form the government. Palaniswami will take oath as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister today ending the political drama in Tamil Nadu.
All you should know about the man who is set to become the next Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu:
- 68 year-old Palanisamy, a four-time MLA from the Edappadi constituency in 1989, 1991, 2011 and 2016, is the state minister for highways and minor ports. Later he contested on an AIADMK party ticket.
- After Panneerselvam was made the Chief Minister, post-Jayalalitha’s death, Palanisamy had publicly asked Sasikala to become the CM.
- He was considered a close confidant of Jayalalitha and is a powerful leader from the Gounder community in Tamil Nadu.
- Sooner after Jayalalithaa’s death, three names were proposed for the CM’s chair, which included VK Sasikala, O Panneerselvam and Edappadi Palanisamy.
- He is known for his authoritarian nature, similar to Jayalalithaa’s, in the party.
- In 2015, Palanisamy had filed a case against Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president Venkata Krishnasamy Sampath Elangovan who leveled corruption charges against him.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Vidyasagar Rao has invited Edappadi K Palanisamy to form the government. He will be sworn-in as the state’s new Chief Minister at 4 p.m. at the Raj Bhawan today.
(Sources – Wikipedia, photo credits – IANS)
For more stories, please visit – in.news.yahoo.com