Aizawl FC / Instagram
Mohun Bagan needed only a win in their match to lift the I-League 2017 title on Saturday April 22, but they couldn't get the job done, as Aizawl FC defeated them 1-0 at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium.
In a dense foggy match that made visibility little to none, Aizawl FC defender Zohmingliana Ralte scored the only goal of the match in the 83rd minute to record a 1-0 win for his side.
The home side needed to win by at least 2 goals to win the title, but the expectation has not been ticked off as yet.
While it was supposed to be a final of I-League 2017, things did not really turn out as we hoped. As of now, it all depends on the final round of the I-League to decide the winners. One thing's set: It's either Aizawl FC or Mohun Bagan who is taking home the title.
Current points table
- Aizawl FC: 36 points from 17 matches
- Mohun Bagan: 33 points from 17 matches
Mohun Bagan and Aizawl FC have a 1-1 head-to-head record this season. Interestingly, the two have the same goal record (3 goals) in their head-to-head matches.
However, in the overall goal difference chart, Mohun Bagan have a +14 GD, compared to Aizawl FC's +10 GD.
Here are the scenarios from the I-League final round
- A defeat to Shillong Lajong in their final round match will end Aizawl FC's hopes of lifting their first-ever I-League title.
- Mohun Bagan have to win against Chennai City FC to win I-League 2017, and hope Aizawl loses against Shillong Lajong.
- For Aizawl FC, a draw or a win will see them crowned as the champions.
Key fixtures and dates
|Date||Home team||Away team||Time||Venue|
|April 30||Shillong Lajong||v||Aizawl FC||7 pm IST||JLN Stadium, Shillong|
|April 30||Mohun Bagan||v||Chennai City FC||7 pm IST||Rabindra Sarobar Stadium, Kolkata|