One of the biggest fires which charred the virology and microbiology department in AIIMS hospital broke out on Saturday evening around 5 pm. Though the flame was doused by 11 - 12 at night, the cooling operations continued till Sunday morning.
However, more sparks triggered in the case when Delhi police registered an FIR against unknown personnel. The Delhi fire department put up the point that some buildings were being operated without the No Objection Certificate (NOC) including the one which caught fire.
An NOC is required as a part of the fire safety document which is renewed every three years and certified every year.
Delhi police is waiting for the FSL report to inspect any further.
This is a major blow to the security provisions on which a number of lives are put on stake.
Vipin Kental, director Delhi Fire Department said, "Delhi police is still probing the matter and some buildings in the premises were being operated without the NOC certificate. However, because of encroachment, it became really difficult to cool down the blaze and NOC is, however, given when all the fire safety norms are duly complied with. Even if the building had a meagre issue of fire safety equipments, then there wouldn't have been any NOC."
The fire started at the teaching block and spread from the second floor up till the rear portion of the fifth floor. The patients were evacuated from the A and B wing to the Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for eyes where doctors rushed to stabilize the situation.
Apart from no casualty, two babies were also delivered in the chaos. Since the patients were being evacuated from the teaching block to the RPC eyes hospital, the doctors helped two women in labor pain to deliver babies.
Dr Ashwini Bahra, senior resident doctor at AIIMS said, "It was around 9 when we were shifting the patients and a 30 year old women reported labor pain. We immediately rushed to the Rajendra Prasad Centre for eyes and delivered a baby at the eye centre which was turned into a labor room. After sometime, another woman gave birth a baby and both the babies, a girl and a boy, were delivered healthy. We were both surprised and ecstatic at it."
However, massive fire engulfed the teaching block of hospital premises and a number of questions are also being raised on the dignified hospital which promises excellence.
According to the Minister of State for Health, Ashwini Choubey, "Delhi Fire Department and NDRF teams were promptly working to douse the blaze and there has not been any reported injury or casualty. However, we're trying our best to calm down the situation and treat the patients."