Ahead of festive season, online sales mela takes off
It has already been two days of online festival sales across platforms of major e-tailers.
Expecting bumper sales, leading online retailers like Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal and others are giving offers and discounts on a vast range of goods.
Flipkart's 'Big Billion Days' sale will go on until October 14, while Amazon's rival sale dubbed the 'Great Indian Festival' will finish on October 15.
According to a statement by Amazon, the sale of smartphones led the sales on the first day. Flipkart, on the other hand, said that the company sold 10 lakh phones in first hour of the online sale.
"I bought a 32 GB iPhone 7 for Rs 35,000 from Amazon's online sale. The phone was available with a higher discount to prime customer of Amazon on October 9, a day before the sale was to begin for other Amazon customers. I saved nearly Rs 15,000 on the phone by purchasing it online", said Shubham Handa, an architecture student.
Apart from smartphones, electronic gadgets and appliances, lifestyle goods, clothes and many more items are on sale online.
PayTm started the PayTm Mall Maha Cashback Sale' on October 9. Jabong and Myntra floated Big Fashion Days' from October 10 till October 14.
Flipkart and Amazon have been locked in a pitched battle to gain share in India's expanding e-commerce market. According to research by investment bank Morgan Stanley, India's e-commerce market is expected to grow to be worth $200 billion a year in a decade.
But what is it that you should keep in mind before you shop online?
While online shopping is comfortable, lucrative and preferred in the present digital age, there are things you should check and verify before purchasing it.
- Be careful of using digital payments features online and submitting your bank details. While entering your credit card, debit card or Net banking details, ensure you are logged on to legit platforms to avoid online thefts.
- Compare the rates of products you are interested in online with other websites and retailers to get the best deal. With so many online sale festivals, the discounts are likely to differ on different portals.
- Read the guarantee and return policies of the products you are buying, especially in case of gadgets and electronic appliances. Also, use your experience and trusted reviews to get best quality products and don't just bank on extra discounts. One of the biggest problems faced by users is that the products could fail quality tests.
- Various banks have tied up with these e-tailers to give extra benefits to their customers, make sure you check what your bank is offering you to get that extra offer on your purchase.
- If you are getting any text messages or e-mails from an online shopping website soliciting financial information, please do not reply to such messages or click on any such links that offer extra rewards or free gifts.
(With inputs from Reuters)