Video Editor: Vivek Gupta
Video Producer: Shohini Bose
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Friday, 3 July, paid tribute to eight Uttar Pradesh police personnel, including a deputy superintendent of police, who were killed in an shooting in Kanpur, while trying to arrest a history-sheeter facing up to 60 criminal cases.
A statement released by Chief Minister Adityanath’s office said that he has asked the DGP to take strictest action against the culprits and file a report from the spot.
"“While paying homage to the martyrdom of police personnel, the chief minister expressed his deepest condolences to their bereaved families. The chief minister has instructed the director general of police to take the strictest action against the culprits who have perpetrated this tragedy and provide an immediate report from the spot.”" - Statement Released by CM’s Office
- At about 3:30 am on Friday, 3 July, around 50 officers from three police stations had gone to raid Dikru village under Chaubepur Police Station in search of history-sheeter Vikas Dubey, following a complaint of attempt to murder against him.
- Dubey is a well-known criminal with political links, with over 60 cases of murder, kidnapping, extortion and rioting in his name.
- According to UP DGP HC Awasthi, the police team faced roadblocks on their way, including a JCB bulldozer.
- When the force got down to remove these roadblocks, criminals opened fire from their vantage positions.
- Deputy Superintendent of Police, Devendra Kumar Mishra, three sub-inspectors and four constables were killed in the ambush.
- Few villages have also been injured in the shootout.
Police claim two criminals have been killed and that weapons used by them have been recovered.
"“During combing operation following last night’s encounter, two police personnel were injured and two criminals have been neutralised. We have also recovered weapons that were used in firing at the police personnel at night. Search is underway to nab other accused.” " - Mohit Agarwal, IG Kanpur, as quoted by ANI
Dubey Had Prior Information: Ex UP DGP
Speaking to The Quint, former Uttar Pradesh DGP Vikram Singh said that he was convinced that “Dubey was tipped-off and had advanced information of a possible police raid.”
Singh said that the stockpiling of arms and ammunition and the blocking of the passage with JCB suggest that Dubey had prior information and was ready for the raid.
Singh said that the “expectation that it was going to be easy did not happen” and that it was “a miscalculation of his power.”
. Read more on India by The Quint.Sunday View: The Best Weekend Opinion Reads, Curated Just For YouRSS & BJP’s Nehru-Netaji ‘Cosplay’: Irony Dies a Thousand Deaths . Read more on India by The Quint.