6 children killed in several attacks in northwest Syria

·1-min read
Representative image
Representative image

Geneva (Switzerland), July 3 (ANI): At least six children were killed on Saturday in several attacks on three villages in the northwest of Syria, confirmed the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).

The attacks occurred today morning in areas including Jabal Al-Zawiyah, south of Idlib in the three villages of Iblin, Balshoun, Balyoun.

Of the six children, three were siblings, reportedly killed with their parents while sleeping at home. Another two children -of a humanitarian worker in the area- were also killed.

UNICEF further said that the organisation has received reports that a water station sustained damage in the attacks.

"This is just tragic. These attacks are the worst since a ceasefire was brokered in March last year. An escalation of violence will only result in cutting short the lives of more children. We call for the protection of all children and strongly urge those fighting to refrain from further attacks," a statement of UNICEF said.

Last year alone, 512 children were verified killed in Syria, the majority in the northwest home to 1.7 million vulnerable children, many have fled violence several times.

"The only way out of the war in Syria is through diplomatic means. Violence and more attacks will push the country even further towards the brink and will riddle the way towards peace and a better future for millions of children in the country," the statement further said. (ANI)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting