Over £300,000 raised for homeless man is 'all gone', lawyer claims

Homeless war veteran Johnny Bobbitt, 34, used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of stranded motorist Kate McClure (right) in Philadelphia. Source: AAP

The lawyer for a homeless war veteran who used his last $20 to fill up a gas tank for a stranded motorist claims the £300,000 raised for his client is gone.

Johnny Bobbitt, 34, gained worldwide attention when he used his last $20 to help stranded motorist Kate McClure in Philadelphia in November, 2017.

Ms McClure and her boyfriend Mark D’Amico started a GoFundMe campaign in return, promising that Mr Bobbitt would have a home.

The couple were last week accused of withholding the money and Mr Bobbitt’s lawyer now claims it has all gone.

Mr Bobbitt’s lawyer Chris Fallon doesn’t know where the money has gone. Source: AAP

The homeless man’s lawyer Chris Fallon told The Star-Ledger the hundreds of thousands are gone.

“There is no money left,” he said.

“Where the money went, I have no idea.”

He added Mr Bobbitt is “completely devastated”.

Mr Fallon told WPVI Philadelphia he found out his client’s money was gone during a conference call with Ms McClure’s lawyer on Tuesday.

The lawyer told NJ.com he’s now making requests to access the couple’s financial records to find out where the money went.

A judge ruled the money needed to be transferred to an account over the weekend.

Mr Bobbitt claims the couple spent money on holidays and a new BMW.

Mr Bobbitt’s lawyer claims the man is back on the street. Source: AAP

It’s further claimed by Mr Fallon in the Philadelphia Inquirer, that Mr Bobbitt received more than $75,000 (£55,000) and had a used SUV and camper purchased for him.

Both the camper and the SUV had Ms McClure listed as their owner, but were later sold.

The lawyer told CNN, GoFundMe charged about £23,000 for the campaign, and while £55,000 was given to his client, there should still be over £200,000 left for Mr Bobbitt.

Mr D’Amico said after establishing the GoFundMe page, the money would be going into the couple’s bank account because they were concerned Mr Bobbitt had issues with drug addiction.

The couple’s lawyer said at Thursday’s hearing that Mr Bobbitt had received about £156,000.

Mr D’Amico admitted to the Inquirer he used about £380 at the casino, but later repaid it.

READ MORE ON YAHOO NEWS UK:

Four out of five adults at risk of early death because their ‘heart age’ is too high
Misogyny could be made a hate crime as MPs prepare for historic vote

2.6 million ‘have changed their minds about supporting Brexit’
Japan typhoon: Hundreds of cars left wrecked as worst storm in 25 years kills 10
Neglected cat covered in dreadlocked fur undergoes miracle transformation

Mr Bobbitt’s other lawyer Jacqueline Promislo said the man is back out on the streets and using drugs however he is entitled to the money.

“What [Mr Bobbitt] would like is to obtain the money that has been raised for him,” Ms Promislo told NBC News.

“Over 14,000 people gave him money to help him get off the streets and give him a safe place to live.”

Mr D’Amico said he would rather burn it in front of Mr Bobbitt than give it to him to spend on drugs.