(Eds: Updating with fresh inputs) Kolkata, Jan 25 (PTI) Around 25 shanties were destroyed in a fire that broke out in Narkeldanga area of Kolkata on Monday, an official said.
No casualty was reported in the fire incident.
People of Chhagalpatti locality on East Canal Road noticed the blaze in shades meant to keep goats at around 9.40 am.
The fire later spread to nearby shanties inhabited by a few families and around 25 shacks were reduced to ashes.
Five fire tenders took an hour to douse the blaze, an official said.
'The exact reason for the incident is not yet known.
But it may have caused by an unextinguished cigarette butt,' he said.
There was no report of any goat being harmed in the blaze.
A fire had devastated a few shanties in the same locality last year. PTI SCH NN NN