If you are 25 years old and still unmarried in India, chances are, you are ogled at like some endangered species at family functions and gatherings. Your parents worry, your neighbours pity you, and your married friends just don’t get you.
“But what’s the problem,” you’re asked, over and over again. From neighbours making assumptions about your sex life to relatives trying to guilt you into getting married, you’ve heard it all by now. In fact, you’ve practised your reaction to these questions (an eye roll and a fake smile) to perfection.
Here are 25 bizarre reasons people give you to get you married by 25; and one good reason to actually go through with it.
1. When Making Babies Is Sole Purpose
2. When God Turns Family Planner
3. Duh. You’re Totally A Celebrity!
5. Let’s Get ‘Settled’
6. Thanks For Your Concern (Not).
7. Playing The ‘Parent’ Card
8. It’s All ‘Green’ Overseas
9. Dating = Marriage, Since When?
10. This Is So 19th Century
11. There Is More To Life
12. Err, Dowry Is Illegal
13. Emotional Atyachaar - Part I
14. Indian Parents Logic
16. You Got To Be Kidding Me
17. Can We NOT Play Doctors, Please?
18. FB Timeline, Staaahp!
19. What If I Don’t Care?
20. Emotional Atyachaar - Part II
21. Roti, Kapda, But No Makaan
22. When Marriage Is Their Duty
23. How’s This Even A Thing?
24. Live-In Relationships Are A Thing!
25. Enter, ‘Sharmaji Ki Beti’
Why You Should Get Married
No matter who says what, there is only one good reason to get married: when you and your partner are ready and willing, of course.
Join The Quint on WhatsApp. Type “JOIN” and send to 9910181818.