Shimla, Sep 30 (IANS) Nearly a week after the death of two girls of a British-era convent school here, the school authorities Sunday broke their silence and sought a judicial probe into the incident.
"We demand a judicial probe into the death and the following rampage in the school by miscreants," Sister Shyma Jose, principal of Convent of Jesus and Mary, told reporters.
"The whole school is aggrieved and distressed. We are ready for any inquiry into it, even a judicial probe," she said.
Two Class 6 students were Sep 24 found dead near the campus. At that time, police said the girls had been run over by a vehicle.
However, four days later Sep 28, parents of the girls staged a protest at the school, saying the girls had committed suicide after their class teacher allegedly tortured and harassed them.
They demanded a police case against the principal and the teacher.
But Sister Jose said she just knew that the girls had been stopped when they were seen passing chits in the classroom.
"We are conducting an internal inquiry too," she said.
"The chits are with police and I do not know their content," she said, adding that the management and the teachers were cooperating with police.
She also termed unfortunate the incident of miscreants entering the school Sep 28 and damaging its property and terrorising primary students.