Sydney, Sept 27 (ANI): A teenage boy has miraculously survived a bite by the world's most venomous snake, inland taipan, in Kurri Kurri, near Maitland.
Police are currently investigating how the 17-year-old boy came across the deadly snake in Kurri Kurri, more than 1000 kilometres from its natural habitat in arid ground in the far west of NSW.
According to police, the boy took himself to the emergency unit at Kurri Kurri Hospital with a bite on his left hand, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The wildlife workers identified it as the inland taipan when the snake was brought to the hospital.
The boy is in a serious condition in Calvary Mater Hospital in Newcastle.
Although he spoke briefly to the police, his health remains a concern for specialists as the poison is still causing havoc in his body, according to the Newcastle Herald.
Australian Reptile Park's head keeper of reptiles and spiders, Julie Mendezona said bites were quite rare because the snake's native areas were not densely populated.
The teenager's bite was probably one of about 100 in the country's history, she said. (ANI)