New York, June 18 (ANI): 'Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted' continued to hold the No. 1 spot at the US box office, earning 35.5 million dollars for the animated sequel's second weekend in domestic theaters.
Studio estimates Sunday put Ridley Scott's sci-fi adventure 'Prometheus' at No. 2 again with 20.2 million dollars.
'Madagascar 3' and 'Prometheus' held off two under-achieving newcomers. The star-studded musical 'Rock of Ages,' whose cast includes Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Alec Baldwin, flopped at No. 3 with 15.1 million dollars, the New York Post reported.
Sandler's 'That's My Boy' bombed with 13 million dollars, the worst showing for one of his broad comedies since the mid-1990s.
'That's My Boy' came in at No. 5, behind the 13.8 million dollars for 'Snow White and the Huntsman,' a film that's been out for three weekends already.
"Sure, we would have liked to have done more," Rory Bruer, head of distribution at Sony said, which released 'That's My Boy' and most of Sandler's past movies.
"But you've got to give it to Adam. He mixes it up. This is a really off-the-wall comedy," he added.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com are:
1. 'Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted,' 35.5 million dollars
2. 'Prometheus,' 20.2 million dollars
3. 'Rock of Ages,' 15.1 million dollars
4. 'Snow White and the Huntsman,' 13.8 million dollars
5. 'That's My Boy,' 13 million dollars
6. 'Men in Black 3,' 10 million dollars
7. 'The Avengers,' 8.8 million dollars
8. 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,' 2.2 million dollars
9. 'Moonrise Kingdom,' 2.18 million dollars
10. 'What to Expect When You're Expecting,' 1.3 million dollars (ANI)