New Delhi, May 25 -- As the separatists in Jammu and Kashmir and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) rushed to reject the report of three interlocutors on J&K, the home ministry - which put the report in public domain for "an informed debate" - kept a safe distance from its controversial contents.
"The view expressed in the report are ... of the interlocutors. The government has not yet taken any decisions on the report," a home ministry statement said, adding that the government would "welcome" an informed debate on the report.
Indicating that the report was only a starting point for a broader debate, government officials said they had no plans to either convene an all party meeting in the near future or hold formal consultations with any stakeholder.
This was in contrast to what home minister P Chidambaram had told the interlocutors when they submitted the report in October last year.
Soon after handing the report, Dileep Padgaonkar - who headed the group of interlocutors - told reporters that the home minister had asked them "to make ourselves available to the all party delegation" that had visited J&K the previous year.
Government sources said this would take time as the assessment was that the Centre should not take any steps in a hurry.
Economist and former information commissioner MM Ansari sounded optimistic about the fate of the report. Many of the recommendations in the final report were covered by the group's interim reports. "About 80% of the recommendation have already been implemented or are in the process of being implemented," Ansari, who coauthored the report, said.
"The other recommendations need to be discussed and debated," he said, stressing that the report too spoke about moving forward on the basis of consensus.Published by HT Syndication with permission from Hindustan Times.