Who said Bengalis love fish and sweets over everything else? Neither Sourav the tragic hero nor SRK the new poster boy tops the list. The one thing that all Bengalis adore, sometimes subconsciously, is self-criticism.
Let's check out some pet peeves:
- It's true that Rabindranath Tagore had won the Nobel prize, but it has been stolen.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was a great patriot, but no one knows exactly how he died.
- Presidency College has lost its glory, though it's now a University.
- Young Bengalis — that's anyone between 2 to 45 — don't know enough about Ram Mohan Roy or Swami Vivekananda or Vidyasagar or just about any illustrious Bengali, except, of course, Sourav again.
- Jyoti Basu and the CPI(M) had made the state a shamsaan, and now Mamata is adding bits of wood to the pyre.
- Basically, it's Kaliyug, and the best thing to do is talk about it over tea and a generous helping of oily snacks.
When one proves conclusively that all Indian states and everyone else in the world too hasRead More »from State of Waste Bengal