- Manmohan declares assets, affidavit says he has no cash in hand Rahul Karmakar - Hindustan Times - Wed 15 May, 2013
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has no cash in hand, says the affidavit filed by him in Guwahati to seek re-election to Rajya Sabha from Assam. He also said his total annual income was Rs. 4,051,964.
- PM declares assets, says 'has no cash in hand' Rahul Karmakar - Hindustan Times - Wed 15 May, 2013
India, May 15 -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has no cash in hand, says the affidavit filed by him in Guwahati to seek re-election to Rajya Sabha from Assam.In his affidavit submitted to assembly secretary Gouranga Das on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said his total annual income was Rs. 4,051,964. But he has no cash in …
- Manmohan Singh's Rajya Sabha term expires on June 14 ANI - ANI - Wed 8 May, 2013
New Delhi, May 8 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh's term as Member of Parliament (MP) expires on June 14 with the Election Commission today announcing the election for the two Rajya Sabha seats from Assam will be held on May 30.
- EC announces date for two Rajya Sabha polls, one seat held by PM HT Correspondent - Hindustan Times - Fri 3 May, 2013
India, May 3 -- Elections for two Rajya Sabha seats - one of which is held by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh - from Assam will be held on May 30, the Election Commission announced on Thursday.The term of two Rajya Sabha members from Assam - Singh and Kumar Deepak Das - is ending on June 14.In wake of the vacancies, the commission …
- Administration, ex-rebels gear up for council election Our Correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Sun 14 Apr, 2013
The code of conduct for the election came into effect yesterday. The last date for filing nominations is April 26 and that for withdrawal of candidature is May 2, he added.
- Power play at work as Gogoi steps in OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Sat 9 Mar, 2013
In an oblique reference to Narah, the sources said dissidence was the creation of people who had lost the last Assembly elections and were trying to make themselves relevant by entering the government through the back door. Narah, a very senior party hand, had lost the last election.
- Mandira wrests Algapur from AGP in byelection OUR BUREAU - www.telegraphindia.com - Fri 1 Mar, 2013
Silchar/Guwahati, Feb. 28: The ruling Congress today regained the Algapur Assembly seat in Hailakandi district but the outcome yet again reflected the growing influence of the AIUDF in Assam politics.Mandira Roy, Congress candidate and wife of senior cabinet minister Gautam Roy, defeated her nearest rival, AIUDF's Mehbubul …
- Nagaland, Meghayala to vote Saturday Indo Asian News Service - IANS - Fri 22 Feb, 2013
Kohima/Shillong, Feb 22 (IANS) Election officials and security forces were in place Friday to oversee assembly elections in Nagaland and Meghalaya Saturday.
- Shinde assures Nagaland of peace H. CHISHI - www.telegraphindia.com - Tue 19 Feb, 2013
A Congress office-bearer today said the party would leave no stone unturned in its efforts to wrest power after hibernating for 10 years. "Look how desperate the NPF has become... the party wants to win the election at any cost," he said, citing the arrest of the home minister under the Arms Act.
- Rs 1cr seized from NPF man Our Correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Sun 17 Feb, 2013
Congress has asked the authorities to seize the chopper, disqualify the candidate for violation of the model code of conduct and take necessary action against NPF. The Congress has claimed that NPF has started delivering money through choppers to escape checking by the police and election observers on the road.
- 12-hour bandh hits life Our Correspondents - www.telegraphindia.com - Sun 17 Feb, 2013
The general secretary of Sadou Asom Tribal Sangha, Aditya Khaklary, claimed that the bandh was a success as its impact was felt across the state, barring Guwahati, and it was peaceful. He said they would hold a meeting in Guwahati on February 21 to protest against the violence in the Rabha council area and the government's …
- Gogoi admits AIUDF strength a staff reporter - www.telegraphindia.com - Sun 17 Feb, 2013
Sources in the state election commission told The Telegraph that going by the results declared so far, the AIUDF would be the second largest party after Congress in this year's panchayat polls.
- Rs.1 cr seized from Nagaland candidate HT Correspondent - Hindustan Times - Sun 17 Feb, 2013
Guwahati, Feb. 17 -- The police in eastern Nagaland's Longleng district seized more than Rs.1crore from a Naga People's Front (NPF) candidate on Saturday after the chopper he was travelling in landed on an Assam Rifles helipad without prior information.Specific to the Northeast, Assam Rifles is one of the world's oldest …
- Three die in police firing OUR BUREAU - www.telegraphindia.com - Sat 16 Feb, 2013
State election commissioner Biren Dutta told The Telegraph that the commission would be able to announce the official result by Sunday or Monday after analysing data received from all the districts.
- Poll panel shifts Meghalaya police chief Indo Asian News Service - IANS - Thu 7 Feb, 2013
Shillong, Feb 7 (IANS) In a major development ahead of the Feb 23 assembly elections in Meghalaya, the Election Commission Thursday removed state police chief Kulbir Krishan.
- Cong, AIUDF trade charges OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Fri 1 Feb, 2013
State election commissioner Biren Dutta today said the average voter turnout in the first phase was 73.29 per cent and that there will be repolling in seven booths tomorrow ' two each in Lakhimpur and Golaghat and one each in Tinsukia, Dhemaji and Majuli ' for error in ballot papers and ballot-snatching in one station.
- 'Pro-Cong' BDO lands in trouble OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Sat 26 Jan, 2013
Opposition parties, however, were quick to grab the opportunity. "Our fear of the ruling Congress using the government machinery to swing votes in its favour is not unfounded. This is one reason we had moved the state election commissioner not to deploy only Assam police personnel for poll duty ' because they can be influenced," …
- Rabha forum invokes accord OUR BUREAU - www.telegraphindia.com - Sat 26 Jan, 2013
Sources said nominations for 95 per cent of the panchayat seats had been filed, which reflected that most people in the council area, covering south Kamrup and Goalpara districts, wanted the election to go ahead as scheduled. "We have two options: hear the voice of 95 per cent or go with the five per cent against the poll," …
- HPC-D talks on January 31 Our correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Fri 25 Jan, 2013
The outfit subsequently called for a village council election boycott, following which polls in 15 Sinlung Hills Development Council villages have not been held till date.
- Sonowal influx jibe at CM PRANAB KUMAR DAS - www.telegraphindia.com - Mon 21 Jan, 2013
The election campaign meeting, held under the aegis of Ritubaran Sarma, was attended by senior BJP leader Ram Prashad Sarma, Uday Medhi, Ganesh Rajbangshi, Deben Swargyari, Jeherul Islam among others.
- Council poll in April, Rabhas' protest on OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Sat 19 Jan, 2013
However, non-tribals and the Garos residing in Kamrup district have vehemently opposed the election in 375 villages of the district, where non-Rabhas are in a majority.
- Assam Cong in ticket disarray OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Thu 3 Jan, 2013
Guwahati, Jan. 2: Protests and assaults marked the Congress's preparation for the three-phase panchayat election today but the nominations for the first phase on January 30 ended without any untoward incident.Insiders attributed the strife to "disregard" for the one-person-one-post principle and "parachuting" of candidates …
- Cong bickers over poll tickets OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Wed 26 Dec, 2012
Sources said trouble was brewing in at least 10 other constituencies over the question of nomination as Roy Barman was working in tandem with leader of the Opposition Ratanlal Nath and trying to put up nominees of their personal choice. "If this goes unchecked, it will lead to a disaster because people in almost all constituencies …
- Modi raises national pitch in victory speech Indo Asian News Service - IANS - Thu 20 Dec, 2012
Ahmedabad, Dec 20 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi declared Thursday that his hat-trick of an election win held a national message and that he was serving "Mother India" besides his own state.
- Forces sought for polls Our Correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Thu 20 Dec, 2012
At the same time, he said Election Commission officials are likely to visit the poll-bound state in the first week of January to review Meghalaya's preparedness for the elections.
- Rabha students protest rural poll notice OUR CORRESPONDENT - www.telegraphindia.com - Wed 19 Dec, 2012
The polls were not being held in these areas as Rabha groups had opposed the election in the council area and the government had accepted their demand.
- Polls fuel rhino killings in Assam, hint analysis Rahul Karmakar - Hindustan Times - Mon 17 Dec, 2012
Guwahati, Dec. 17 -- Democracy could be proving fatal for the one-horned rhinos of Assam, says an analysis on poaching.The intelligence wing of an armed force engaged in counter-insurgency operations in the Northeast had consulted experts to analyse poaching for more insight into the poacher-militant nexus. The analysis …
- Tension blame on July riots Our correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Tue 13 Nov, 2012
Replying to a question regarding the considerable erosion of Congress base in the district, Roy said the party's base had not been eroded, as evident from the increase in the number of votes received by the party in the 2011 Assembly election. He said the Congress would do even better in the panchayat election in January …
- NSUI seeks poll tickets for youths our correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Sat 10 Nov, 2012
Gogoi had won the election as an Independent candidate.
- Cong launches pro-people drive Our Correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Mon 5 Nov, 2012
"Leadership of both factions of DHD might contest the election but we do not feel that the militant leadership's joining politics could have any impact on the Congress. The recent Karbi Anglong autonomous council elections established that," a Dima Hasao Congress source said.
- Communist leaders meet CEC Sampath to extend voters' date of enrolment ANI - ANI - Wed 24 Oct, 2012
New Delhi, Oct.24 (ANI): A delegation of the Communist Party of India-Marxist met Chief Election Commissioner V.S. Sampath to request him extends the date of the enrolment of voters in West Bengal.
- NPP picks on rebel stand Our Correspondent - www.telegraphindia.com - Sun 23 Sep, 2012
The party also appointed Charles Reuben Lyngdoh chairman of the election manifesto committee.
With Jaya and Mamata trouncing rivals, will more women enter politics?