LONDON (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Germans will descend on London's Wembley Stadium later on Saturday (1845 GMT) when four-times winners Bayern Munich take on domestic rivals Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League final. The world's most prestigious club soccer match pits unassuming 68-year-old Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes against excitable Dortmund boss Juergen Klopp, 45, in an intriguing clash of styles. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- Nitish's caste design: Is JD(U) preparing for a possible split with BJP? Hindustan Times
India, May 25 -- The friend-turned-foe has turned again. He is a friend now.The fast-changing equation between Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar and the estranged More »
- Mumbai stutter past Rajasthan to book IPL final berth IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Notwithstanding a blistering Dwayne Smith knock, Mumbai Indians stuttered to a four-wicket victory over Rajasthan Royals in a nail-biting More »
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children Reuters
Seventeen Pakistani children burnt to death on Saturday when a gas cylinder on the bus taking them to school exploded, media said. Ten children were injured in the More »
- BCCI president Srinivasan should resign: NCP leader ANI
Describing cricket as an important and popular game, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) spokesman D.Tripathi on Friday called for the resignation of Board of Control More »
- U.S. hints at renewed Iranian sanctions waiver for India Reuters
India has made "tremendous progress" in reducing oil imports from Iran, a senior U.S. government official said on Friday, in a sign the South Asian nation is likely More »
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's plea IANS
The Delhi High Court Friday reserved its verdict on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's plea challenging a trial court order to frame charges against him in a 1984 More »
- NBA - Pacers turn up Heat in Miami to level series Reuters
By Simon Evans MIAMI (Reuters) - The Indiana Pacers threw open the NBA Eastern Conference finals on Friday, upsetting the Miami Heat with a 97-93 victory to level the best-of-seven series at 1-1. LeBron James scored 36 points for Miami but gave up two crucial turnovers down the stretch that cost the Heat, while Roy Hibbert top-scored for the Pacers with 29 points and Paul George added 22 and produced some outstanding defensive work. ...
- In Syria's shadow, Iraq violence presents new test for U.S. Reuters
By Warren Strobel WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saddled with Middle East problems ranging from Iran to Syria and beyond, President Barack Obama now faces one that is both old and new: Iraq. Unresolved sectarian tensions, inflamed by the raging civil war in neighbouring Syria, have combined to send violence in Iraq to its highest level since Obama withdrew the last U.S. troops in December 2011, U.S. officials and Middle East analysts say. A Sunni Muslim insurgency against the Shi'ite-led Baghdad government has also been reawakened. ...
- Brazil's Santos decide to let Neymar go Reuters
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's Neymar is on the verge of choosing one of two offers from un-named clubs, reported to be Spanish suitors Barcelona and Real Madrid, after Santos agreed on Friday to transfer him. Santos said they had ended a three-year fight to keep the 21-year-old, Brazil's big hope for next year's World Cup finals, and agreed to a transfer, giving him the right to choose which offer to accept, though a decision was not imminent. ...
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children - media Reuters
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Seventeen Pakistani children burnt to death on Saturday when a gas cylinder on the bus taking them to school exploded, media said. Ten children were injured in the blaze on the outskirts of Gujrat, 100 miles (170 km) southeast of Islamabad, DawnNews said. Many vehicles in energy-starved Pakistan are powered by relatively cheap compressed natural gas and cylinder blasts are common. (Reporting by Nick Macfie; Editing by Ron Popeski)
- Rich country investors return home for stable cash income Reuters
By Natsuko Waki LONDON (Reuters) - The world's biggest investors may be rethinking 20 years of boosting overseas holdings and are instead seeking more stable cash income at home, as aging societies and tighter regulation dull risk appetite. This heralds a structural shift toward investments that produce long-term income in advanced economies, home to two thirds of the money held by insurers and pension funds - some $55 trillion. ...
- AirAsia India launch seen in Q4; may order 50 more jets Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - AirAsia, which smashed order records for Airbus jets to become Asia's largest budget carrier, could buy another 50 planes as it targets aggressive expansion in India, Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said. Discussion of an order for another 50 A320-family jets, worth $5 billion at list prices, comes weeks ahead of the Paris air show and five months after the Malaysian carrier added 100 jets to its order book to lift total purchases to 475 planes. ...
- Travel Picks: Top 10 golf resorts around the world Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - If your idea of a nature hike involves driving an elusive ball over acres of meticulously manicured greens, then bookmark this list of premier putting destinations created with golf enthusiasts in mind, hand-picked by the boutique hotel experts Mr & Mrs Smith (www.mrandmrssmith.com). Fore! Reuters has not endorsed this list: 1. Primland; Virginia, USA Pristine Primland hotel in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains is an elegant estate surrounded by 12,000 verdant acres. ...
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit Reuters
By Tim Gaynor and David Schwartz PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona lawman Joe Arpaio violated the constitutional rights of Latino drivers in his crackdown on illegal immigration, a federal judge found on Friday, and ordered him to stop using race as a factor in law enforcement decisions. The ruling against the Maricopa County sheriff came in response to a class-action lawsuit brought by Hispanic drivers that tested whether police can target illegal immigrants without racially profiling U.S. citizens and legal residents of Hispanic origin. U.S. ...
- Chinese premier criticises EU move on trade measures Reuters
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Chinese Premier Li Keqiang criticised the European Union over its plans to investigate alleged anti-competitive behaviour by Chinese mobile telecom equipment makers and to impose punitive import duties on solar panels from China, state media reported. The official Xinhua news agency reported late on Friday that Li had told business leaders in Switzerland such measures would "harm others without benefiting oneself". Li is the most senior Chinese official to comment on the troublesome issue so far. ...
- Syria opposition unity talks face spectre of collapse Reuters
By Khaled Yacoub Oweis ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Syrian opposition talks aimed at presenting a coherent front at an international peace conference to end the civil war faced the prospect of collapse after President Bashar al-Assad's foes failed to cut an internal deal, opposition sources said on Friday. ...
- Penguin exhibit at Florida's SeaWorld will get 10 tons of snow daily Reuters
By Barbara Liston ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - SeaWorld Orlando opened its "Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins" on Friday, a new attraction that will be coated with 10 tons of fresh snow each day. To recreate a cold, dry climate suitable for penguins in hot, humid Florida, designers used airtight doors, humidifiers and air purifiers, SeaWorld said. Icicles and glittering ice crystals were created out of hand-blown Pyrex and glass. ...
- Niko finds significant gas in India block; shares soar Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian oil and natural gas producer Niko Resources Ltd said on Friday it made a significant gas discovery, along with its partners, in the KG-D6 block off India's east coast, sending its shares up 26 percent. Niko, which partners India's Reliance Industries Ltd and BP Plc , said the discovery is expected to add to the gas resources in the block, without revealing potential reserves. "It is a significant discovery in the sense that out of a half-inch choke you have got 2,000 barrels a day and over 30 million cubic feet a day of gas flowing ... ...
- French, Niger troops kill Islamists holding out at Niger base Reuters
By Abdoulaye Massalatchi NIAMEY (Reuters) - French special forces and Niger troops shot dead on Friday the last two Islamists involved in a twin attack on a military base and a French uranium mine in Niger claimed by the mastermind of January's mass hostage-taking in Algeria. Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a one-eyed veteran of al Qaeda's North African operations, said in a statement that his Mulathameen brigade organised Thursday's raids with the MUJWA militant group in retaliation for Niger's role in a French-led war on Islamists in Mali. ...
- NSE to implement transaction tax cut as of June 1 Reuters
Reuters Market Eye - The National Stock Exchange will reduce the securities transaction tax (STT) on equity futures to 0.01 percent from 0.017 percent from June 1, NSE said in a statement. Purchases of a unit in an equity-oriented fund will not attract any STT compared to 0.1 percent earlier, while sale of such units would have STT of 0.001 percent versus 0.1 percent previously, the NSE said. These changes in the STT were included in the budget unveiled for 2012/13 that has subsequently been passed by parliament. (Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Censor damaging us, get rating system: Abhishek Kapoor IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Filmmaker Abhishek Kapoor feels it is high time to create a definite rating system for films so that a demarcation between sleaze and adult content can be made for the convenience of filmmakers and viewers.
- Over-the-top sequences a norm: Rohitashv Gour IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Over-the-top comic sequences have become a staple in TV shows and films. Actor Rohitashv Gour explains that this is so because the Indian audience enjoys them the most.
- I'm not here to be a star: Ranbir Kapoor IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Born in a family of cinestars, Bollywood's star actor Ranbir Kapoor says he never entered filmdom with the intention of becoming a star. He also said the current crop of actors are no comparisons to the likes of Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan, who have an "aura" about them.
- Guatemala extradites ex-president to US IANS
Guatemala City, May 25 (IANS) Guatemala has extradited its former president Alfonso Portillo to the US where he will face charges of money laundering, according to official sources here.
- Friend marries gang-rape victim in Bihar IANS
Patna, May 25 (IANS) A friend of a woman who was gang-raped by three men in Bihar has married the victim, police said Saturday.
- So, what's next for director Ayan Mukerji? IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) His first film "Wake Up Sid" had light-hearted romance and his next "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (YJHD) too falls in the same category. But director Ayan Mukerji says he does not want to stick to the genre forever.
- 15 Pakistani kids die in school van cylinder blast IANS
Islamabad, May 25 (IANS) At least 15 children were killed Saturday when the gas cylinder in their school van blew up in Pakistan's Punjab province, a media report said.
- 35 arrested for burning man in Bihar IANS
Patna, May 25 (IANS) Thirty-five people, including 20 women, were arrested from a Bihar village Saturday on charges of burning the husband of a village head over a land dispute, police said.
- Friction in Congress as Chandy, Chennithala camps spar IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 25 (IANS) Is Kerala politics all about camps? The polarisation between V.S. Achuthanandan and Pinarayi Vijayan loyalists in the opposition CPI-M is old news, but the ruling Congress appears to be no better with the increasing friction between the Oommen Chandy and Ramesh Chennithala factions.
- Car sharing with strangers a growing business in US IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS/EFE) The sight of a hitchhiker on the curb trying to hail some charitable driver could be a thing of the past as the practice of car sharing grows.
- 'Film editor's job starts in pre-production phase' IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) A film editor is no longer part of just the post-production team. In fact, the work begins from a movie's pre-production phase itself, says southern editor T.S Suresh.
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has asked Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to address them urgently.
- Political storm in Himachal averted IANS
Shimla, May 25 (IANS) Ahead of the Mandi parliamentary by-election in Himachal Pradesh, a political crisis sparked by the purported resignation of a Congress minister who was miffed with Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh withered away in less than 24 hours.
- Dravid to retire from IPL? IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals skipper Rahul Dravid has indicated that he will retire from the Indian Premier League, after the Champions League T20 later this year.
- Spanish art gets privileged space in New York museum IANS
New York, May 25 (IANS/EFE) New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art has reopened its European paintings galleries after a two-year renovation, giving a privileged space to Spanish masters Velazquez, El Greco and Goya.
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- CM announces more buses for DTC fleet Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Review: Faith and Freedom, Gandhi in History Hindustan Times
- Family doubts police's theory Hindustan Times
- Modi not there, but the big bash goes on Hindustan Times
- Rashid Irani's review: Fast And Furious 6 Hindustan Times
- Odisha sizzles with season's highest temperature of 47.5 degree Hindustan Times
- Cong leader remains in jail, Trinamool leader gets bail Hindustan Times
- Review: A life apart, an autobiography Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- In Syria's shadow, Iraq violence presents new test for U.S.1 hour 12 minutes ago
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children - media1 hour 16 minutes ago
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha1 hour 13 minutes ago
- Rich country investors return home for stable cash income1 hour 38 minutes ago
- `Liqour ban on Goa beaches will save Russian lives'1 hour 47 minutes ago
- Prem Raj: Salman Khan is there for me at the time of crisis1 hour 7 minutes ago
- Sonakshi Sinha wears nine sarees in 'Sawaar Loon' song from LOOTERA1 hour 7 minutes ago
- Richa Chadda shoots day and night for Farhan Akhtar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali1 hour 8 minutes ago