Reuters Market Eye - The rupee hits a fresh near 6-month low in opening trades. The rupees falls to 55.48 after opening at 55.335, currently at 55.43/44 versus Tuesday close of 55.41/42. Dealers say follow-on dollar buying is pushing the pair up after a late surge on Tuesday. The chief dealer of a private bank tips 55.20-55.50 band for the session. Dealers say the bias may remain for the pair's strength on month-end dollar demand with crucial 55.20 level taken out on Tuesday. ...
Yahoo! News India
- Jessica case: HC to decide fate of hostile witnesses on Wednesday Hindustan Times
A bench would pronounce its decision in the case in which the court had questioned the prosecution as to how all the witnesses took somersault during the trial. More »
- Li reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
Chinese premier Li Keqiang talked about what all Indians love to hear - the promise of a balanced trade, sorting all issues, including the boundary question. More »
- Sreesanth used spot-fixing money on branded apparel for girlfriend IANS
Tainted cricketer S. Sreesanth went on a shopping spree with the money he earned from spot-fixing, buying apparel worth Rs.1.95 lakh for himself and a mobile phone More »
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 Reuters
A 2-mile-wide (3-km-wide) tornado tore through the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore on Monday, killing at least 51 people including 20 children, destroying entire More »
- IPL Spot-fixing: TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested ANI
Vindu Dara Singh, the actor son of the late wrestler-cum-actor Dara Singh, was arrested here today for his alleged role in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) More »
- Supreme Court rejects bid to halt IPL, pulls up BCCI Reuters
The Supreme Court will hear a petition on Tuesday seeking to scrap the remaining matches of the country's lucrative Twenty20 cricket competition amid growing More »
- Allahabad HC rejects Talwars' plea for examination of 14 witnesses ANI
The Allahabad High Court rejected Rajesh and Nupur Talwar's plea for examination of 14 more witnesses ignored by the Central Bureau of Investigation. More »
- Tech Mahindra shares jump after earnings results Reuters
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Shares in Tech Mahindra Ltd rose as much as 6.8 percent on Wednesday after its January-March quarter net profit rose 24 percent, beating estimates. Tech Mahindra said its March-quarter consolidated net profit rose 24.4 percent to 3.77 billion rupees. The results came out after the close of markets on Tuesday. (Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi; Editing by Rafael Nam)
- Cheruiyot expecting first child, aims to return in 2014 Reuters
REUTERS - Vivian Cheruiyot is not defending her world 5,000 and 10,000 metres gold medals in Moscow in August because she is expecting her first child, the Kenyan said in a statement. The 29-year-old, who won both races at the 2011 world athletics championships in Daegu, South Korea, took silver and bronze in the 5,000 and 10,000 at last year's London Olympics. In a statement released by her agent Ricky Simms on Wednesday, Cheruiyot said she would resume her career next year. She had first revealed her decision not to compete in Moscow on Tuesday but gave no reason for her absence. ...
- Singer Kelly Pickler jives to victory on 'Dancing With the Stars' Reuters
By Andrea Burzynski NEW YORK (Reuters) - Country singer Kelly Pickler won the 16th season of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" on Tuesday night, winning over judges and TV audiences with her graceful style and high-jumping jives with partner and professional dancer Derek Hough. Pickler, who first grabbed attention as a contestant on "American Idol" in 2006, screeched and jumped up and down when she learned she had won. Fellow finalist Jacoby Jones, an NFL player, hoisted her on his shoulders to celebrate. ...
- HPCL aims to restart 60,000 bpd fire-hit Vizag crude unit Reuters
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) aims to restart a 60,000 barrels-per-day fire-hit crude unit at its Visakhapatnam (Vizag) refinery by the end of June, a company source said. The crude unit was shut on May 16 following a fire that hit a pipeline attached to the unit. "The first assessment is scheduled for mid-June. After that, we will get a clear picture," said the source, adding that the aim is to restart the unit by the last week of June. (Reporting by Nidhi Verma; Writing by Seng Li Peng)
- Asian stocks cheered by Fed reassurance, yen awaits BOJ Reuters
By Ian Chua and Vidya Ranganathan SYDNEY (Reuters) - Asian stocks rose on Wednesday following a positive lead from Wall Street with Japan's Nikkei reaching a 5-1/2 year high, while the yen took a defensive stance ahead of the outcome of the Bank of Japan's (BOJ) policy meeting. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan rose 0.1 percent, reversing some of Tuesday's 0.4 percent decline. The South Korean market climbed 0.4 percent. Tokyo's Nikkei gained 1.1 percent, breaking above 15,500 for the first time in over five years. ...
- North Korea sends top Kim Jong-un aide to Beijing Reuters
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea sent one of its top military officials to Beijing on Wednesday as a "special envoy" of its leader Kim Jong-un, state news agency KCNA reported. There were few details of Choe Ryong-hae's visit, which came amid strained relations between China and North Korea after Beijing backed U.N. sanctions on Pyongyang for its February nuclear test. Choe is the most senior North Korean official to visit Beijing since Kim's uncle Jang Song-thaek made the trip in August 2012. ...
- Freeport Indonesia says death toll rises to 28 after tunnel accident Reuters
JAKARTA (Reuters) - The death toll from a tunnel collapse at a mine run by the Indonesian unit of Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc has been raised to 28, the company said in a statement on Wednesday, after giving up hope of finding any more survivors. The Arizona-based company closed the world's second-largest copper mine on Wednesday last week, a day after a training tunnel away from its main operations fell in on 38 workers. Ten workers were rescued. (Reporting by Randy Fabi and Michael Taylor; Editing by Richard Pullin)
- Twisters keep returning, but Oklahoma still short on shelters Reuters
By Mary Wisniewski and David Bailey REUTERS - The people of central Oklahoma know all too well the destructive power of a tornado, but when a big one rolled toward the town of Moore again on Monday, residents had few basements and storm shelters to run to when the alarm sounded, officials said. Two elementary schools that were hit by the EF-5 tornado - the most powerful category - did not have "safe rooms" where students could shelter from the storm, and no applications for safe rooms had been made, Oklahoma Emergency Management Director Albert Ashwood told reporters. ...
- Rare 'Harry Potter' first edition fetches record auction price Reuters
REUTERS - A unique first edition of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" annotated by author J.K. Rowling has sold for a record 150,000 pounds at a London charity auction, Sotheby's said on Tuesday. The 1997 book, featuring handwritten notes, 22 original illustrations and a 43-page "second thoughts" commentary by the author, fetched the highest price to date for a printed book by Rowling, Sotheby's said in a statement. ...
- Senate panel passes U.S. immigration bill; Obama praises move Reuters
By Rachelle Younglai and Caren Bohan WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Senate panel on Tuesday approved legislation to give millions of illegal immigrants a path to citizenship, setting up a spirited debate next month in the full Senate over the biggest changes in immigration policy in a generation. President Barack Obama, who has made enactment of an immigration bill one of his top priorities for this year, praised the Senate Judiciary Committee's action, saying the bill was consistent with the goals he has expressed. ...
- The Irish loophole behind Apple's low tax bill Reuters
By Tom Bergin LONDON (Reuters) - Apple's ability to shelter billions of dollars of income from tax has depended on an unusual loophole in the Irish tax code that helps the country compete with other countries for investment and jobs. A U.S. Senate investigation revealed Tuesday that Apple, maker of iPhones, iPads and Mac computers, channelled profits into Irish-incorporated subsidiaries that had "no declared tax residency anywhere in the world. ...
- Dimon clings to JPMorgan chairman title, after fight Reuters
By David Henry TAMPA, Florida (Reuters) - Jamie Dimon, chairman and chief executive of JPMorgan Chase & Co took an unusual step to fight off investors seeking more oversight of his activities - he hinted he might quit. And it worked. At the bank's annual meeting on Tuesday, JPMorgan shareholders voted down a proposal to strip Dimon of his chairmanship, giving the measure even less support than last year. Investors showed some unhappiness with the bank's management by only barely re-electing three directors who oversaw a massive trading loss last year. ...
- Nikkei scales 5-1/2 year high ahead of BOJ meeting, Sony surges Reuters
By Dominic Lau TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei average climbed to a 5-1/2-year high on Wednesday, ahead of the outcome of the Bank of Japan meeting, with Sony Corp surging on reports it is considering evaluating a proposal to spin off entertainment assets. The Nikkei advanced 0.9 percent to 15,513.72 after trading as much as 15,527.35, its highest since December 2007. A senior trader at a foreign bank said buy orders outpaced sell orders by 1.5 to 1, with Japanese retail investors active in the market. ...
- Sony to assess spin-off proposal for entertainment business - Nikkei Reuters
REUTERS - Sony Corp is considering evaluating a proposal from top shareholder Third Point LLC to spin off part of its movie and music business, Japanese daily Nikkei reported. Sony's U.S. listed shares rose 9 percent on Tuesday on the New York Stock Exchange. Billionaire hedge fund investor Daniel Loeb last week called on the company to spin off its lucrative entertainment arm, setting the stage for a clash between his activist Wall Street fund and management at the Japanese electronics maker. Sony declined to comment when contacted by Reuters. ...
- Tornado spanned length of 22 soccer fields IANS
Washington, May 22 (IANS) Residents of suburban Oklahoma were returning home as rescue workers neared the end of the search for survivors and the dead after a mammoth tornado - said to be as wide as 22 football fields - flattened countless homes and claimed 24 lives, including nine children.
- Russia develops advanced target simulation system IANS
Moscow, May 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is developing an advanced target simulation system for its air defence units based on the short-range Pantsyr system, the defence ministry has said.
- 'Ramaiya Vasta Vaiya' album simple, entertaining IANS
Film: "Ramaiya Vasta Vaiya; Music Director: Sachin-Jigar; Singers: Atif Aslam, Shreya Ghoshal, Mika Singh, Monali Thakur, Mohit Chauhan, Neha Kakkar; Rating **1/2
- US immigration reform bill clears key Senate hurdle IANS
Washington, May 22 (IANS) A bipartisan immigration reform bill cleared a key hurdle after its authors negotiated a compromise with a Republican senator to relax some restrictions on high-tech companies on hiring foreign techies, many of whom come from India.
- Iraq reopens Russian arms deal probe IANS
Dubai, May 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iraq's central criminal court has resumed an investigation into officials suspected of corruption in a $4.2 billion deal to purchase Russian weapons.
- India, US seek elimination of terror havens IANS
Washington, May 22 (IANS) India and the US have called upon all nations - without naming any country - to take effective steps to work toward eliminating sanctuaries and infrastructure that supports terrorism and to increase efforts to counter violent extremism.
- Jessica Alba honoured for philanthropy IANS
Los Angeles, May 22 (IANS) Actress Jessica Alba has been honoured in recognition of her philanthropic efforts towards children-related issues.
- UAE, Singapore discuss global development IANS
Abu Dhabi, May 22 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Singapore have held talks over international development.
- Sanjay Dutt shifted to Pune jail IANS
Mumbai, May 22 (IANS) In a surprise move, Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt was secretly shifted from a Mumbai prison to a Pune jail early Wednesday, official sources said.
- Kerry Washington uses fashion as 'creative outlet IANS
Los Angeles, May 22 (IANS) For actress Kerry Washington, fashion is a "creative outlet" to express herself.
- UAE, China discuss economic relations IANS
Abu Dhabi, May 22 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and China have held talks over their bilateral economic relations.
- Contostavlos, Simpson's relation on rocks? IANS
London, May 22 (IANS) Singer Tulisa Contostavlos and her beau Danny Simpson are reportedly facing a rough patch in their relationship.
- Khloe defends sister Kim IANS
Los Angeles, May 22 (IANS) Socialite Khloe Kardashian has broken her silence against those who have targeted her pregnant sister Kim Kardashian for gaining a lot of weight.
- Putin calls for fast naval deliveries IANS
Moscow, May 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) President Vladimir Putin has criticised the state-owned United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) for delay in delivery of warships to the Russian Navy and demanded the shipbuilders to improve efficiency.
- Saudi Arabia nabs 10 over spying for Iran IANS
Riyadh, May 22 (IANS) Saudi Arabia has arrested 10 people on suspicion of espionage for Iran, the interior ministry announced Tuesday.
- Pushed to breaking point again Hindustan Times
- SC calls for change in Air Force Act Hindustan Times
- Modi charts out road map for 2014 elections Hindustan Times
- Li Keqiang reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
- UPA banks on reforms for 2014 polls Hindustan Times
- If leaders are on same page, success follows Hindustan Times
- West Bengal not top investment priority, says US ambassador Hindustan Times
- Phaneesh Murthy in sex scandal again, sacked Hindustan Times
- Power cuts make hottest day worse Hindustan Times
- Li reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
- Police get ministry rap over vacancies, patrol vehicles Hindustan Times
- Students throng DU session with queries Hindustan Times
- Trial by fire for 2014 in Maharajganj by-election Hindustan Times
- BCCI falls back on tried and tested Sawani Hindustan Times
- Indian pugilists gearing up for new system Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- North Korea sends top Kim Jong-un aide to Beijing1 hour 56 minutes ago
- Freeport Indonesia says death toll rises to 28 after tunnel accident2 hours 2 minutes ago
- Twisters keep returning, but Oklahoma still short on shelters2 hours 30 minutes ago
- Rupee hits near 6-month low; continued dollar buying16 minutes ago
- Tech Mahindra shares jump after earnings results42 minutes ago
- Singer Kelly Pickler jives to victory on 'Dancing With the Stars'1 hour 0 minutes ago
- Cheruiyot expecting first child, aims to return in 201456 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- Imran Khan leaves hospital after campaign fall3 minutes 36 seconds ago