By Angela Moon NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks mostly declined for a third day on Friday, putting indexes on track for their first negative week since mid-April, on lingering concern that the U.S. central bank may scale back its stimulus measures to support the economy. Still, major U.S. stock indexes came off their lows. The Dow edged into positive territory by late afternoon trading, buoyed by a 4 percent gain in Procter & Gamble . A jump in April orders for long-lasting manufactured goods, such as refrigerators and toasters, painted an encouraging economic picture. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's plea IANS
The Delhi High Court Friday reserved its verdict on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's plea challenging a trial court order to frame charges against him in a 1984 More »
- Koda surrenders after week-long bail, sent to judicial custody IANS
Ranchi, May 24 (IANS) Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, allegedly at the centre of a Rs.2,500 crore money laundering scam, surrendered in a court here More »
- BJP demands Sheila's resignation after Lokayukta charge IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Delhi unit Friday staged a sit-in protest near Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's official residence here, More »
- US drone strikes violate sovereignty, says Pakistan IANS
Islamabad, May 24 (IANS) Pakistani government Friday reiterated its opposition to US drone strikes on its territory, saying the strikes were "counter-productive" More »
- Averse to frisking, Meira Kumar shoots down Ukraine visit Hindustan Times
India, May 24 -- Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar shot down a bilateral meet at Kiev after Ukraine refused to exempt her and accompanying six MPs from More »
- Napoli chief denies announcing Benitez capture Reuters
ROME (Reuters) - Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has denied media reports earlier on Friday that he had named former Chelsea and Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez as the new Napoli manager. "I've closed the deal for a new manager but I can't officially announce it until I receive the go-ahead from the other club with which he is under contract until June 30," he was quoted as saying by Sky Italia. ...
- Yahoo joins growing list of bidders for Hulu - sources Reuters
By Ronald Grover LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Yahoo Inc has submitted a formal proposal to buy Hulu, joining a growing list of bidders for the video service owned by News Corp and Walt Disney Co , two sources with knowledge of the bid told Reuters on Friday. Yahoo just this week announced a $1.1 billion acquisition of blogging service Tumblr. It now joins rival bidders for Hulu including Time Warner Cable Inc , DirecTV , former News Corp president Peter Chernin and Guggenheim Digital Media, sources have said. Yahoo did not immediately respond to requests for comment. ...
- Inter appoint Mazzarri after sacking Stramaccioni Reuters
ROME (Reuters) - Inter Milan appointed former Napoli boss Walter Mazzarri as their new coach on Friday after sacking Andrea Stramaccioni following a disappointing ninth-place finish in Serie A. "The agreement with Walter Mazzarri will last two years," the club said in a statement. Mazzarri left Napoli on Sunday after just under four seasons in charge having guided them to second spot. (Editing by Mark Meadows)
- Niko finds significant gas in India block; shares soar Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian oil and natural gas producer Niko Resources Ltd said on Friday it made a significant gas discovery, along with its partners, in the KG-D6 block off India's east coast, sending its shares up 26 percent. Niko, which partners India's Reliance Industries Ltd and BP Plc , said the discovery is expected to add to the gas resources in the block, without revealing potential reserves. "It is a significant discovery in the sense that out of a half-inch choke you have got 2,000 barrels a day and over 30 million cubic feet a day of gas flowing ... ...
- Bayern aim for more lethal approach against Dortmund Reuters
By Karolos Grohmann LONDON (Reuters) - Bayern Munich are unfazed by the need to sharpen their attack against Borussia Dortmund on Saturday to avoid another Champions League final defeat having lost twice in the past three years. Midfielder Thomas Mueller, who at 23 will be playing in his third final after losing in 2010 and 2012, said his team mates were not panicking because experience had taught them the key to winning the all-German final at Wembley. ...
- Cool dude Colsaerts looking to kickstart season Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Nicolas Colsaerts has experienced something of a comedown since helping Europe win the Ryder Cup in September and the big-hitting Belgian is looking for his game to ignite some time soon. The 30-year-old, dubbed 'The Dude' by his team mates after making a stylish debut in the biennial event last year, looked typically cool and dapper after moving into contention with a second-round 70 at the PGA Championship. ...
- UEFA targets game's evils on great day for Gibraltar Reuters
By Mike Collett LONDON (Reuters) - UEFA president Michel Platini repeated his call for soccer to win the battle over the evils affecting the game on an historic day for Gibraltar who were delighted at becoming European soccer's newest member on Friday. UEFA also responded to demands from its top clubs by awarding a Champions League place to the Europa League winners, while delegates at the annual Congress of European soccer's governing body unanimously approved a resolution introducing tough new measures to fight racism. ...
- Obama wants to end 'war on terror' but Congress balks Reuters
By Patricia Zengerle and Matt Spetalnick WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama wants to roll back some of the most controversial aspects of the U.S. "war on terror," but efforts to alter the global fight against Islamist militants will face the usual hurdle at home: staunch opposition from Republicans in Congress. In a major policy speech on Thursday, Obama narrowed the scope of the targeted-killing drone campaign against al Qaeda and its allies and announced steps toward closing the Guantanamo Bay military prison in Cuba. He acknowledged the past use of "torture" in U.S. ...
- Truck crash may have caused Washington state bridge collapse Reuters
By Jonathan Kaminsky OLYMPIA, Washington (Reuters) - A bridge collapse that sent cars and drivers tumbling off a four-lane interstate and into a frigid river in Washington state may have been caused when a semi-trailer truck crashed into the structure, officials said on Friday. Three people were rescued from the Skagit River after a span of the bridge collapsed Thursday evening. Two of those rescued were hospitalized with hypothermia but no one was killed, officials said. ...
- Taliban attack international compound in Afghan capital Reuters
By Amie Ferris-Rotman and Mirwais Harooni KABUL (Reuters) - Taliban militants launched a large-scale attack involving the United Nations in the centre of the Afghan capital Kabul on Friday, sparking a five-hour battle with security forces. A plume of smoke hung over Kabul after the attack was launched, with the sound of .50 calibre heavy machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and sniper fire clearly audible throughout the city centre as night fell. An Afghan police officer was killed and 10 other people were wounded during the attack, which began at 4 p.m. ...
- Google eyes Waze as Facebook circles hot Web maps property Reuters
By Sarah McBride and Alexei Oreskovic SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc is in talks to buy Waze, an Israeli mapping start-up that has held discussions with several large technology companies, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Friday. Google's discussions with Waze, which one of the sources told Reuters remained fluid and could change in tenor at any time, come amid reports Facebook is willing to pay $1 billion for the crowd-sourced service, which relies on information provided by its 47 million members to craft its mobile-oriented maps. ...
- Elizabeth Taylor's first wedding dress up for auction Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - The wedding dress worn by film star Elizabeth Taylor for her first marriage to hotel heir Conrad Hilton in 1950 will go up for sale next month, auction house Christie's said on Friday. The simple, but elegant garment created by Hollywood costume designer Helen Rose for the then 18-year-old Taylor is an oyster shell-coloured, floor-length satin gown with a fine silk gauze off-the-shoulder illusion neckline. The dress, which was a gift from MGM film studios, has a top estimate of 50,000 pounds. ...
- New bird flu may be capable of human to human spread - study Reuters
By Lavinia Mo HONG KONG (Reuters) - The new H7N9 bird flu virus can be transmitted between mammals not only via direct contact but also in airborne droplets, and may be capable of spreading from person to person, Chinese and American researchers have found. A study published in the journal Science and presented at a briefing in Hong Kong on Friday found that three ferrets - an animal often used for research on flu - that were in the same cage as ferrets infected with H7N9 had contracted the disease. ...
- British security services in spotlight after soldier murder Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's security services faced questions on Friday over whether they could have done more to prevent the murder of a soldier hacked to death in a busy London street after it emerged that his suspected killers were known to intelligence officers. Suspects Michael Adebolajo, 28 and Michael Adebowale, 22, are under guard in hospital after being shot and arrested by police after the murder of 25-year-old Afghan war veteran Lee Rigby on Wednesday. They have not yet been charged. ...
- Pressure mounts on Srinivasan to resign, Gurunath arrested IANS
Hyderabad/Mumbai/New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) The clamour for Indian cricket board president Narayanswamy Srinivasan's resignation got louder after his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan, Chennai Super Kings chief executive, Friday was interrogated by Mumbai police in the IPL spot fixing scandal and later arrested.
- Helen Mirren rallies for military charity IANS
London, May 25 (IANS) Veteran actress Helen Mirren has urged people to back a military support charity after a soldier was brutally murdered on London streets.
- Perry strikes romance with agent? IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Singer Katy Perry, who has been single since splitting from John Mayer earlier this year, is said to have struck up a romance with her agent Michael Kives.
- Gurunath arrested by Mumbai police IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Mumbai police late Friday night arrested Gurunath Meiyappan, son-in-law of Indian cricket board chief N. Srinivasan, in the IPL spot fixing scam after three hours of intense interrogation, an official said.
- Britannia posts 65.7 pc jump in Q4 net profit IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) Biscuit and bakery major BritanniaIndustries Friday registered a 65.66 percent jump in its net profit to Rs.87.85 crore for the quarter ended March 31, 2013, from Rs. 53.03 crore during the same period last year.
- Rajasthan post a handsome 165/6 against Mumbai at Eden IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) Keeper-willower Dishant Yagnik played a cameo as Rajasthan Royals rode on a late batting surge to post a decent 165/6 in their Indian Premier League playoff at the Eden Gardens here Friday.
- Court quashes rape FIR against three DJB officials IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday quashed an FIR and summoning order against three Delhi Jal Board employees, accused of gangraping an executive working in a private company.
- Mumbai bomb blast inspired me to make 'D-Day': Nikhil Adwani IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Filmmaker Nikhil Adwani, who is gearing up for his film "D-Day" says Mumbai bomb blast "affected" his life and that inspired him to make this film.
- IPL: Rajasthan score 165/6 against Mumbai IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals scored 165 for six against Mumbai Indiansin the Indian Premier League's (IPL) second qualifier at the Eden Gardens here Friday.
- Pakistani plane forced to land near London, two held IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Britain had to scramble fighter jets Friday to escort a Pakistani International Airlines (PIA) plane down to land after it was diverted from Manchester. Later, two people were arrested from aboard the aircraft on suspicion of endangering the flight.
- Two held over Pakistani plane's mid-air alert IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Britain had to scramble fighter jets Friday for escorting a Pakistani International Airlines (PIA) plane after it was diverted from Manchester. Later, two people were arrested on suspicion of endangering the aircraft's flight.
- Haryana man gets 10 years jail for raping university student IANS
Chandigarh, May 24 (IANS) A court in Harayana's Sonipat town Friday sentenced a man to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for the rape of a first-year law student of Haryana's all-women university, Bhagat Phool Singh Women's University.
- NCP talks in two voices on BCCI chief's resignation IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Hours after its spokesperson demanded resignation of Indian cricket board chief N. Srinivasan over his son-in-law's name figuring in the investigations into the IPL spot fixing scandal, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Friday sought to distance itself from the demand.
- GJM calls indefinite shutdown in Darjeeling hills IANS
Darjeeling, May 24 (IANS) The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Friday called an indefinite shutdown in north Bengal's Darjeeling hills from Sunday to protest the arrest of an elected member of the hill development body for alleged involvement in arson and violence.
- 'Srinivasan's rise testifies Indian community's contributions to US' IANS
Washington, May 24 (IANS) Indian Ambassador Nirupama Rao has hailed Indian-American Srikanth 'Sri' Srinivasan's Senate confirmation as a top US judge as yet another proof of the Indian community's "sterling contributions to the US society and India-US relations".
- Spot-fixing: NCP, SP seek BCCI chief N Srinivasan's scalp Hindustan Times
- Spot-fixing: NCP, SP seek Srinivasan's scalp Hindustan Times
- Asad Rauf leaves India, leaves behind gift hampers from bookies Hindustan Times
- Escape to a stellar experience Hindustan Times
- 12-year old girl gangraped, set ablaze in Nagpur Hindustan Times
- Airlines must cap privileged category seats at 10%: govt Hindustan Times
- Sr cop who probed 26/11 case retires Hindustan Times
- No exam papers, report cards if pupils want refund: school Hindustan Times
- BMC cell to hasten RTI process Hindustan Times
- Teachers back on election duty Hindustan Times
- Number-crunching teen in Limca Book of Records Hindustan Times
- JEE row: CBSE told to give answer keys to students Hindustan Times
- BJP gives it back, says govt to blame for delayed bills Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Court quashes rape FIR against three DJB officials1 hour 30 minutes ago
- Haryana man gets 10 years jail for raping university student2 hours 32 minutes ago
- GJM calls indefinite shutdown in Darjeeling hills2 hours 42 minutes ago
- Obama wants to end 'war on terror' but Congress balks1 hour 18 minutes ago
- Truck crash may have caused Washington state bridge collapse1 hour 20 minutes ago
- Taliban attack international compound in Afghan capital1 hour 21 minutes ago
- Bangalore records highest number of residential launchesFri 24 May, 2013
- Jet Airways Q4 net loss widensFri 24 May, 2013
- Napoli chief denies announcing Benitez capture23 minutes ago
- Inter appoint Mazzarri after sacking Stramaccioni41 minutes ago
- Bayern aim for more lethal approach against Dortmund1 hour 2 minutes ago
- Yahoo joins growing list of bidders for Hulu - sources33 minutes ago
- Google eyes Waze as Facebook circles hot Web maps property1 hour 27 minutes ago
- ITV News Twitter account hacked by Syrian Electronic Army2 hours 21 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013