YAOUNDE (Reuters) - Cameroon have appointed Volker Finke as head coach of the national team, the German tasked with ensuring the Indomitable Lions qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Finke takes over from caretaker coach Jean-Paul Akono, who was brought in to replace Denis Lavagne last September after the Frenchman failed to take Cameroon to the African Nations Cup finals in 2012 and 2013. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Spot-fixing: Vindoo was invited to match by Gurunath, says police Hindustan Times
Vindoo Dara Singh claimed to the police that he had gone to watch a T20 league match in Chennai on an invitation from Gurunath Meiyappan, principal and co-owner of More »
- Japanese octogenarian becomes oldest to reach Everest summit Reuters
An 80-year-old Japanese mountain climber who has had four heart surgeries reached the top of Mount Everest on Thursday becoming the oldest person to conquer the More »
- Short story writer Lydia Davis wins Man Booker International fiction prize Reuters
By Ana Nicolaci da Costa LONDON (Reuters) - American short story writer Lydia Davis won the fifth Man Booker International Prize for fiction on Wednesday for a body More »
- Indian-origin boy wins 2013 National Geographic contest IANS
Washington, May 23 (IANS) Twelve-year-old Indian-origin boy Sathwik Karnik won the 2013 National Geographic Bee by correctly naming Chimborazo, a peak in Ecuador, More »
- Dead Boston bomber involved in 2011 slayings: Report IANS
Washington, May 23 (IANS) Deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev participated in a 2011 gruesome triple murder outside Boston along with a More »
- IPL Playoff: Mumbai take on Rajasthan in the clash of titans IANS
Kolkata, May 23 (IANS) Notwithstanding serious doubts over injured Sachin Tendulkar's availability, Mumbai Indians would look to exorcise their Indian Premier More »
- Fewer allies, quiet rejoicing mark UPA's dinner party Hindustan Times
As the UPA's Report to the People was released, Congress president Sonia Gandhi gestured alliance leaders to get closer on the dais while posing for the photograph. More »
- Forget Pak, live like true Indian: Swami to Kashmiris Hindustan Times
Janta Party president Dr Subramaniyam Swami on Wednesday asked people of Kashmir to "forget Pakistan and live like true Indians"."The Kashmir problem is (Pt More »
- Nagatomo recalled for Japan's World Cup qualifier Reuters
REUTERS - Flying fullback Yuto Nagatomo was recalled to the Japan squad on Thursday for the crunch 2014 World Cup qualifier against Australia next month, where victory would secure a berth in Brazil and damage the Socceroos' hopes of joining them. A knee injury forced Nagatomo to miss Japan's last qualifier in Jordan where the Asian champions needed only a point to claim an early place at the finals but lost 2-1 to the West Asians. ...
- Iran seeks to speed up nuclear activity, capacity unclear Reuters
By Fredrik Dahl VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran is trying to accelerate its uranium enrichment programme, a U.N. nuclear report showed, but experts said it was unclear when Tehran's new machines could start operating and how efficiently they would work. The Islamic state's progress in introducing next-generation centrifuges is closely watched in the West and Israel as it would enable Tehran to speed up accumulation of material that could be used to build atomic bombs. Iran denies any such aim. ...
- China warns blind dissident ahead of Taiwan trip Reuters
BEIJING (Reuters) - China warned blind legal activist Chen Guangcheng on Thursday to mind his language ahead of his trip next month to political rival Taiwan, on a visit which could infuriate Beijing if, as expected, Chen uses it to criticise Chinese rights abuses. China has been largely silent on the issue of Chen since he fled from house arrest and took refuge in the U.S. embassy in Beijing last year, straining Sino-U.S. relations, before he was allowed to leave for New York for study. Since then, Chen has taken his campaign to improve human rights in China to senior U.S. ...
- Five killed, 50 wounded in Lebanon's Tripoli Reuters
TRIPOLI, Lebanon (Reuters) - Five people were killed and more than 50 wounded in overnight clashes in Tripoli between Lebanese gunmen backing rival factions in Syria's civil war, doctors and security sources said on Thursday. Tripoli has suffered sporadic sectarian violence since the Sunni Muslim-led uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad broke out in March 2011, but after a night of mortar, grenade and machinegun fire, residents said this was the fiercest so far. ...
- Sponsor Adidas criticises Garcia over Woods jibe Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Sponsor Adidas has criticised Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia for a jibe directed at Tiger Woods that has drawn accusations of racism. A repentant Garcia said "sorry" 11 times and used the word "apology" on five occasions on Wednesday when he told reporters of his regret at saying he planned to invite Woods to dinner and serve him "fried chicken". Fried chicken has become a racial stereotype in the United States when referring to African-Americans - a reference to the days before the abolition of slavery when chicken was believed to be a staple part of the diet. ...
- China's Li effusive in praise of Pakistan, but not everyone buys it Reuters
By Nick Macfie ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Chinese Premier Li Keqiang praised the Sino-Pakistan relationship to the hilt on Thursday, urging the "all-weather friends" to boost cooperation in business, trade, energy and infrastructure and build a long-vaunted economic corridor. But not everyone is convinced China has Pakistan interests totally at heart. Li arrived in the Pakistani capital on Wednesday on the second leg of his first official trip since taking office in March and after a visit to Pakistan and China's arch rival, India. He leaves for Switzerland and Germany later on Thursday. ...
- Boxing chief Wu confirms IOC presidency bid Reuters
REUTERS - Taiwan's world boxing (AIBA) chief Ching-kuo Wu announced his intention to run for International Olympic Committee president on Thursday, saying the Olympic movement should be bigger than just the Games. IOC Executive Board member Wu is the fourth IOC member following Germany's Thomas Bach and Singaporean Ng Ser Miang, both IOC vice presidents, and Puerto Rico's Richard Carrion to decide to run for the post. The election is set for September 10 at the IOC session in Buenos Aires. ...
- Two suicide bombers strike in northern Niger towns Reuters
By Abdoulaye Massalatchi NIAMEY (Reuters) - Two suicide bombers struck on Thursday at a military barracks and a plant run by French nuclear group Areva in northern Niger, military and company sources said. The bombers killed themselves and wounded at least four people in the attacks in the towns of Agadez and Arlit, the sources said. They were the first suicide attacks in Niger since a French-led offensive in January to oust Islamist rebels from neighbouring northern Mali, in which the Nigerien army is participating as part of a West African force. ...
- Japanese octogenarian becomes oldest to reach Everest summit Reuters
By Gopal Sharma KATHMANDU (Reuters) - An 80-year-old Japanese mountain climber who has had four heart surgeries reached the top of Mount Everest on Thursday becoming the oldest person to conquer the world's highest mountain. Yuichiro Miura, who took the standard southeast ridge route pioneered by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay 60 years ago, reached the top of the 8,848 metre (29,028 feet) mountain at about 9:00 a.m. (0315 GMT). He was accompanied by three other Japanese, including his son, and six Nepali sherpas. ...
- India will be comfortable with stable rupee exchange rate: Rajan Reuters
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The government will be comfortable with a stable rupee exchange rate and there was no reason for the currency to be unstable, chief economic adviser Raghuram Rajan said on Thursday. The rupee fell to its lowest in over 8-1/2 months on Thursday, heading for a fifth consecutive session of falls, as the dollar rallied at the prospect the Federal Reserve might scale back its stimulus programme this year. Nifty futures also fell as much as 2.2 percent amid U.S. stimulus worries and a weak China manufacturing survey. Rajan said according to his "reading," the U.S. ...
- BSE Sensex falls on U.S. stimulus worries, China data Reuters
By Abhishek Vishnoi MUMBAI (Reuters) - The BSE Sensex fell more than 1 percent on Thursday, while a volatility index surged, as the prospect of an end to the U.S. stimulus programme and a weak China manufacturing survey sparked concerns that foreign investors will end their recent buying spree. Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke's comments suggesting bond purchases could be scaled back if U.S. economy improves sparked the falls, with Asian shares also hit badly, while State Bank of India slumped after disappointing quarterly earnings. A potential early wind-down of the U.S. ...
- Patched up Harris ready for all five Ashes tests Reuters
By Nick Mulvenney SYDNEY (Reuters) - Chronic knee problem, left ankle fracture, hamstring strain, shoulder problem, back strain, hip pain and, most recently, a tender Achilles - Australia's Ryan Harris has had almost as many injuries as he has played test matches in the last three years. Such is the esteem in which the 33-year-old pace bowler is held Down Under, however, that this weekend, he will board a jet for England looking to augment his tally of 47 wickets in 12 tests and help Australia win back the Ashes. His average of 23. ...
- State Bank of India Q4 profit falls, shares drop Reuters
REUTERS - State Bank of India, the country's largest lender, posted its first quarterly net profit drop in two years, missing market estimates after being dragged down by lower interest income and higher provisions for loan losses. The state-run bank posted net profit of 32.99 billion rupees in the January-March quarter, compared with 40.50 billion rupees in the same period a year ago. Net interest income, the difference between interest earned and interest expended, fell 4.4 percent to 110.8 billion rupees. Analysts, on average, had expected net profit of 37. ...
- Government to pay state-run fuel retailers $8.1 billion in Q4 oil subsidy Reuters
MUMBAI (Reuters) - India has agreed to pay 450 billion rupees for the March quarter to state-owned fuel retailers as compensation for selling products at cheaper government-set rates, officials at these companies said on Thursday. The decision, taken on Wednesday, has not yet been formally intimated by the finance ministry, but the current tranche will enable the companies to report quarterly profits at their earnings next week, officials at the three companies, who declined to be named, said. ...
- 'Invisible forces' trying to stall Kerala's progress: Minister IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 23 (IANS) Kerala Industries and Information Technology Minister P.K. Kunhalikutty Thursday said some invisible forces were trying to stall the state's progress on all fronts but refused to identify them.
- Indian Caribbean Museum in Nat Geo list of 500 sacred places IANS
Port-of-Spain, May 23 (IANS) The Indian Caribbean Museum, described as "a national treasure, a window to the past, and an opportunity to see history come alive", has been cited by a National Geographic publication that showcases 500 of the world's most powerful and spiritual places and guides travellers who wish to visit them.
- ICC launches Champions Trophy website IANS
Dubai, May 23 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) Thursday launched the official event website for the Champions Trophy, which will be held in England and Wales June 6-23.
- Committed to food security law: UPA IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) The government is committed to enacting the National Food Security Bill, which legally entitles poor families to five kilograms of subsidised grain per person per month, an official document said Thursday.
- Global gastronomical delights enticing foodies IANS
New Delhi/Gurgaon/Noida, May 23 (IANS) Devil chicken with angry sauce, rigatroni au gratin washed down with grass jelly fresh milk: the capital's culinary aficionados are in for a treat with renowned food chains from around the world entering the market and setting the stage for a global food fest.
- India to train 500 Nigerians in vocational skills IANS
Lagos (Nigeria), May 23 (IANS) India wants increased partnership with Nigeria in education through institutional cooperation, content development, faculty exchange and joint ventures that would enhance the West African country's human resource devlopment, according to Indian High Commissioner Mahesh Sachdev.
- Looking for prominent, strong characters: Rajshree Thakur IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) "Saat Phere" fame Rajshree Thakur, who is making a comeback to the small screen after three years, says her motto is to do prominent characters that suit here personality.
- `Ageing Asia to strain world's long-term economic growth' IANS
Vancouver, May 23 (IANS) The Asia-Pacific region will continue to power global economic growth in 2013, but the region's increasing ageing population will cast a shadow on the long-term development, according to a Canadian think-tank.
- Goa to host conference on green industry practices IANS
Panaji, May 23 (IANS) Aiming to position Goa as a leader in green practices in construction, manufacturing and hospitality industry, a CII conference on eco-friendly practices will be held later this month, organisers said Thursday.
- Camera rolls for 'Ala Modalaindi' Tamil remake IANS
Chennai, May 23 (IANS) The untitled Tamil remake of Telugu blockbuster "Ala Modalaindi" starring Gautham Karthik went on the floors here Thursday.
- Gwyneth Paltrow pockets millions for fragrance campaign? IANS
Los Angeles, May 23 (IANS) Actress Gwyneth Paltrow reportedly earned $2 million for the campaign of Hugo Boss's latest scent - Boss Jour Pour Femme.
- Singapore's exports continue to fall IANS
Singapore, May 23 (IANS) Singapore's external trade continued to fall in the first quarter of this year, with declines for total trade, non-oil domestic exports (NODX) and non-oil re-exports (NORX), the city-state's trade promotion agency, International Enterprise Singapore, said Thursday.
- Retail sales in South Korea fall IANS
Seoul, May 23 (IANS) Retail sales in South Korea decreased last month as domestic demand remained in the doldrums amid the sluggish economic recovery, a government report showed Thursday.
- GM recalls nearly 20,000 new Cadillac SRX SUVs IANS
Washington, May 23 (IANS) General Motors Corporation said it is recalling nearly 20,000 new Cadillac SRX SUVs for faulty wheel lug nuts, according to a Detroit News report.
- Brazil announces $13 bn budget cut for 2013 IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 23 (IANS) The Brazilian government has announced a curtailment of 28 billion reais ($13.65 billion) in the 2013 federal budget.
- 'Jack' the bettor sings Bollywood tune to police Hindustan Times
- Fewer allies, quiet rejoicing mark UPA's dinner party Hindustan Times
- Now,terrorism haunts SP Hindustan Times
- Insensitive remark makes UP home secy lose his post Hindustan Times
- With Cong support, ray of hope for PPP Hindustan Times
- Math no longer a must for DU Commerce Hons Hindustan Times
- Stop kids below 13 from opening FB accounts, HC tells centre Hindustan Times
- Quest for spirituality Hindustan Times
- BJP split over PM candidate, Sushma seeks talks with allies Hindustan Times
- Meritorious students in MP may miss good engg seats Hindustan Times
- Bollywood's tryst with betting Hindustan Times
- A T20 match both teams fiercely fought to lose Hindustan Times
- Geetika Sharma suicide case: HC seeks records Hindustan Times
- Jind rape case: Villagers to send children to school from today Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- Homes with dogs have more types of bacteria1 hour 22 minutes ago
- Self-regulation skills better in American girls than boys2 hours 15 minutes ago
- Patched up Harris ready for all five Ashes tests1 hour 21 minutes ago
- 'Casual' Khawaja set to prove critics wrong with 'worthy' performance in Ashes1 hour 48 minutes ago