NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks extended gains on Wednesday immediately following prepared testimony from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke before a congressional panel. The head of the central bank said monetary stimulus is helping the economy recover, and the Fed needs to see further signs of traction before taking its foot off the gas. The Dow Jones industrial average gained 83.42 points, or 0.54 percent, to 15,471.00. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index rose 10.00 points, or 0.60 percent, to 1,679.16. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 18.40 points, or 0.53 percent, at 3,520.52. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Manmohan is neither leader of party nor country: BJP IANS
As the UPA got down to celebrating its fourth anniversary, the BJP Wednesday trained its guns on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and said he was neither leader of his More »
- Woman gang-raped, friend assaulted in Bihar, two held IANS
A day after a 22-year-old woman was gang-raped and her friend was beaten up by three men in Bihar, two of the accused were arrested Wednesday, police said. More »
- Saradha scam: Suicide abetment case slapped on Sudipta Sen IANS
A suicide abetment case was registered Wednesday against suspected kingpin of Saradha Group chit fund scam Sudipta Sen and two others following the suicide of an More »
- BJP urges Andhra governor to sack tainted ministers IANS
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday urged Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan to sack six allegedly tainted state ministers. More »
- Mamata violated model code, Congress tells poll panel IANS
Leaders of the Congress in West Bengal Wednesday met Chief Election Commissioner V.S. Sampath to lodge a complaint against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for More »
- Luis Suarez to have another summer with Liverpool: Rodgers ANI
Liverpool is expecting to retain Luis Suarez for another summer, if Reds boss Brendan Rogers is to be believed. More »
- Analysis: Rich country investors returning home Reuters
By Natsuko Waki LONDON (Reuters) - The world's biggest investors may be rethinking 20 years of boosting overseas holdings and are instead seeking more stable cash income at home, as aging societies and tighter regulation dull risk appetite. This heralds a structural shift toward investments that produce long-term income in advanced economies, home to two thirds of the money held by insurers and pension funds - some $55 trillion. ...
- Bernanke touts benefits of easing, no hint of pullback Reuters
By Pedro da Costa and Alister Bull WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve's monetary stimulus is helping the U.S. economy recover, and the central bank needs to see further signs of traction before taking its foot off the gas, central bank chairman Ben Bernanke said on Wednesday. In testimony that offered no sign that he is ready to retreat from the Fed's latest round of bond buying, Bernanke emphasized the high costs of unemployment and inflation that continues to run below the central bank's target. ...
- Iran, Hezbollah increasing support for Assad: Britain Reuters
By Suleiman Al-Khalidi AMMAN (Reuters) - British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Wednesday Iran and its militant Shi'ite Lebanese ally Hezbollah were "propping up" Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and giving him increasing support. "It is very clear that Syrian regime is receiving a great deal of support, increasing support in recent months from outside Syria from Hezbollah and Iran. This is a regime that is increasingly dependent on external support," Hague said in a news conference with his Jordanian counterpart Nasser Judeh. ...
- Factbox: Reviews for films in main competition at Cannes 2013 Reuters
CANNES (Reuters) - This year 20 films are in the main competition at the Cannes film festival, vying for the Palme d'Or for best picture that will be awarded on May 26. Here is the 2013 lineup with the average rating out of four by 10 international critics as published in trade magazine Screen: - HELI by Amat Escalante, Mexico Stars: Armando Espitia, Andrea Vergara. Synopsis: A 12-year-old girl falls in love with a police cadet, dragging her family into Mexico's brutal drug war. Average Critic Score: 1. ...
- NetApp speeds up share buyback, starts dividend Reuters
By Lehar Maan and Sagarika Jaisinghani (Reuters) - Data storage equipment maker NetApp Inc , under pressure from activist shareholder Elliott Management, said it would spend about $1 billion in the next four months to buy back shares. Shares of the company, which also initiated a quarterly dividend and cut about 7 percent of its workforce, rose 4 percent in trading after the bell. Elliott confirmed on Tuesday it had acquired about 16 million, or about 4.3 percent, of NetApp's shares, making it one of the largest shareholders of the company. ...
- Mugabe signs constitution into law, paving way for vote Reuters
By Cris Chinaka HARARE (Reuters) - Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe signed a new constitution into law on Wednesday, replacing a 33-year-old document forged in the dying days of British colonial rule and paving the way for an election later this year. Approved overwhelmingly in a referendum in March, the constitution clips the powers of the president and imposes a two-term limit. However, it does not apply retroactively so the 89-year-old Mugabe could technically extend his three decades in office by another 10 years. ...
- Just Dial's 9.4 billion rupee IPO covered 11.6 times Reuters
REUTERS - Just Dial's up to 9.4 billion rupee ($170 million) initial public offer was subscribed 11.6 times on closing on Wednesday, in what is the biggest IPO in the country so far this year. The response to the equity offering signals strong investor appetite for new shares, although bankers said this would unlikely open up the moribund IPO market in the near term with few medium-to-large sized issues in the pipeline. ...
- Silver coffee pot could set $6 mln record at auction Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - An 18th century silver Rococo coffee pot is expected to become the most valuable piece of English silver ever sold at auction when it goes up for sale in July, auction house Christie's said. The ornate George II pot made in 1738 by one of the greatest silversmiths of his day, Paul de Lamerie, is expected to fetch up to 4.5 million pounds when it goes to auction on July 4 in London, Christie's said on Wednesday. That sale would trump the silver wine cistern of 18th century diplomat Thomas Wentworth, which sold for 2. ...
- A Minute With: Pitbull on music, Jennifer Lopez and 'Epic' Reuters
By Zorianna Kit LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rapper Pitbull has taken his blend of American pop music fused with Latin beats from the clubs of Miami to international pop charts, but he now is crossing into film with his first acting role as an animated character in the upcoming movie, "Epic." Pitbull, whose real name is Armando Perez, has become a staple in the pop music field with lively dance-floor tracks including recent chart hits "Feel This Moment" with Christina Aguilera and "Live it Up" with Jennifer Lopez. ...
- Turkey shuts Syria border crossing after deadly bombings Reuters
By Jonathon Burch ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey has shut its side of the last border crossing with Syria still controlled by President Bashar al-Assad's government, stepping up security following two deadly bombings this month. Fifty-one people were killed when twin car bombs ripped through the Turkish border town of Reyhanli in the southern province of Hatay on May 11, heightening fears that Syria's civil war was dragging in neighbouring states. Turkey has accused Syria of involvement in the attacks. Damascus has denied any role. ...
- Europe closes in on tax havens; Austria agrees to swap bank data Reuters
By John O'Donnell BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Europe moved closer to ending banking secrecy on Wednesday after Austria dropped objections to sharing data on foreign depositors and the EU focused on negotiating a similar agreement with Switzerland. "It's a bad day for tax cheats," Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann told reporters at a meeting of EU leaders to discuss fighting tax fraud. "We will act jointly and I believe we will manage the exchange of data by the end of the year. ...
- Parents withdraw from inquiry into death of US engineer Shane Todd Reuters
By Kevin Lim and Pedja Stanisic SINGAPORE (Reuters) - The parents of an American engineer found dead in Singapore last year said on Wednesday they will not take part in the rest of a coroner's inquiry into his death, which they say was linked to a project involving the transfer of sensitive technology to China. In a statement, Rick and Mary Todd said they had lost confidence in the system investigating the death of their 31-year-old son, Shane, who was found hanging from a door in his Singapore apartment last June. ...
- Pope Francis urges China's Catholics to stay loyal to Rome Reuters
ROME (Reuters) - Pope Francis on Wednesday urged Catholics in China to remain loyal to the Vatican, whose authority is challenged by China's Communist rulers. China's Catholics number between 8 and 12 million and are divided between the state-sanctioned Catholic Patriotic Association, which has installed bishops without Vatican approval, and an "underground" wing loyal to the Vatican that rejects state control. Francis's predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, made May 24 a day dedicated to prayer for China's Catholics. Francis said at his weekly audience in St. ...
- Rescuers comb Oklahoma tornado rubble for buried survivors Reuters
By Ian Simpson and Alice Mannette MOORE, Oklahoma (Reuters) - Rescue workers with sniffer dogs and searchlights picked through the wreckage of a massive tornado to ensure no survivors remained buried in the rubble of primary schools, houses and buildings in an Oklahoma City suburb. The massive tornado on Monday afternoon flattened entire blocks of the town, killed at least 24 people and injured about 240 in Moore, Oklahoma. ...
- Karnataka Congress for ending debate on 'migrant' members IANS
Bangalore, May 22 (IANS) Since Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah is viewed in a section of the Congress as a "migrant" because he moved over from the Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) in 2006, the state party Wednesday sought to end the insider-outsider debate.
- Netxcell joins hands with Funmobile in Nigeria IANS
Hyderabad, May 22 (IANS) Netxcell Limited, a leading telecom technology services provider, Wednesday announced its association with Funmobile, a leader in the mobile content domain in west Africa.
- Sunrisers elect to bat against Royals IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Sunrisers Hyderabad captain Cameron White won the toss and elected to bat against Rajasthan Royals in the Eliminator of the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Wednesday.
- Bengal panchayat polls notification Friday likely IANS
Kolkata, May 22 (IANS) The state Election Commission may notify the West Bengal panchayat elections Friday, an official said.
- BJP targets government over new CAG IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) The BJP Wednesday targeted the UPA government over appointment of Shashi Kant Sharma as the new Comptroller and Auditor General of India, and said there was "institutional conflict of interest" as he will be auditing defence deals which were finalised during his term as defence secretary.
- L&T Q4 profit drops near 7 percent IANS
Mumbai, May 22 (IANS) Engineering and construction conglomerate Larson & Toubro Wednesday posted a 6.8 percent drop in net profit at Rs.1,787.94 crore for the fourth quarter ended March.
- 'Yadav planned to play in Bangladesh league' IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Former Ranji cricket player Baburao Yadav, arrested in the IPL spot fixing scandal, had planned to play in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) with the help of one of the arrested bookies, police said Wednesday.
- Uganda signs new national football coach IANS
Kampala (Uganda), May 22 (IANS) Serbia-born Sredojevic Milutin has been confirmed as the new coach of Uganda's national football team.
- Cadbury ordered to pay Rs.30,000 compensation; says will move higher court IANS
Agartala, May 22 (IANS) A consumer court in Tripura has ordered Cadbury India to pay a compensation of Rs.30,000 to a complainant who found an iron pin inside a chocolate bar made by the company.
- World motorsport chief to visit Botswana IANS
Gaborone (Bostwana), May 22 (IANS) The president of the world motorsport governing body, Federation Internationale de I' Automobile (FIA), Jean Todt is scheduled to visit Botswana in August, Botswana Motorsport Association (BMSA) has confirmed.
- JMM rules out poll pact for 2014 polls IANS
Ranchi, May 22 (IANS) The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) Wednesday ruled out any pre-poll tie-up in the state assembly and Lok Sabha polls in 2014.
- Real Sociedad coach to leave at end of season IANS
Madrid, May 22 (IANS) Spanish Primera Liga football club, Real Sociedad have confirmed that coach Philippe Montanier will leave the club at the end of the current season.
- Sports was clean during father's time: Deepika Padukone IANS
Mumbai, May 22 (IANS) Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone, daughter of badminton icon Prakash Padukone, says sports was pure and clean during her father's time. She rues how malpractices such as spot-fixing can give any sport a bad name.
- Sherlyn Chopra grooves in Indian attire at Cannes IANS
Mumbai, May 22 (IANS) Actress Sherlyn Chopra grabbed the paparazzi's attention by grooving at the 66th Cannes International Film Festival wearing a white and gold Indian lehenga choli. She is there to promote her movie "Kamasutra 3D" with the team.
- Gunmen kill 12 Iraqis in attack on brothel IANS
Baghdad, May 22 (IANS) At least 12 people, including seven women and five men, were killed Wednesday in an attack by unidentified gunmen on a brothel in Baghdad, an interior ministry source told Xinhua.
- Barkha Bisht: new mom for Parvarrish Hindustan Times
- Taking stock of stalking Hindustan Times
- Li Keqiang reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
- Modi charts out road map for 2014 elections Hindustan Times
- SC calls for change in Air Force Act Hindustan Times
- Pushed to breaking point again Hindustan Times
- AMRI to move court against Mamata govt Hindustan Times
- Sonia Gandhi, Manmohan Singh to unveil UPA report card today Hindustan Times
- If leaders are on same page, success follows Hindustan Times
- UPA banks on reforms for 2014 polls Hindustan Times
- Vidya Balan meets Chiranjeevi at Cannes Hindustan Times
- UP cops on Akhilesh security duty thrash each other with lathis Hindustan Times
- Odisha: Police handcuffs BJD leader, stirs debate Hindustan Times
- Sonia, PM to unveil UPA report card today Hindustan Times
- Power cuts make hottest day worse Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Iran, Hezbollah increasing support for Assad: Britain41 minutes ago
- Mugabe signs constitution into law, paving way for vote1 hour 4 minutes ago
- Turkey shuts Syria border crossing after deadly bombings1 hour 22 minutes ago
- NetApp speeds up share buyback, starts dividend59 minutes ago
- Factbox: Apple, Amazon, Google and tax avoidance schemes1 hour 45 minutes ago
- Ireland feels the heat from Apple tax row2 hours 12 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013