NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Mumbai Police apprehended Gurunath Meiyappan, a key official of the Indian Premier League's (IPL) Chennai franchise, late on Friday in connection with a spot-fixing scandal that has also led to the arrest of three cricketers. Former test bowler Shanthakumaran Sreesanth and two other local cricketers were arrested last week on suspicion of taking money to concede a fixed number of runs and police have intensified investigations to discover the extent of the scandal. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh More »
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- Nitish's caste design: Is JD(U) preparing for a possible split with BJP? Hindustan Times
India, May 25 -- The friend-turned-foe has turned again. He is a friend now.The fast-changing equation between Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar and the estranged More »
- Mumbai stutter past Rajasthan to book IPL final berth IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Notwithstanding a blistering Dwayne Smith knock, Mumbai Indians stuttered to a four-wicket victory over Rajasthan Royals in a nail-biting More »
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children Reuters
Seventeen Pakistani children burnt to death on Saturday when a gas cylinder on the bus taking them to school exploded, media said. Ten children were injured in the More »
- Bayern meet Dortmund in all-German Champions League final Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Germans will descend on London's Wembley Stadium later on Saturday (1845 GMT) when four-times winners Bayern Munich take on More »
- BCCI president Srinivasan should resign: NCP leader ANI
Describing cricket as an important and popular game, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) spokesman D.Tripathi on Friday called for the resignation of Board of Control More »
- U.S. hints at renewed Iranian sanctions waiver for India Reuters
India has made "tremendous progress" in reducing oil imports from Iran, a senior U.S. government official said on Friday, in a sign the South Asian nation is likely More »
- F1 is a superego trip for Wurz's wife Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Truth can be stranger than fiction in Formula One so perhaps it was inevitable that even some regulars were fooled when the launch of a new grand prix team was announced on April 1. Despite a polished website (www.dupontf1.com) and team details, there was no such thing as Dupont F1 - on the racetrack, at least. Julia Wurz, the former Benetton and Renault team public relations executive and wife of Austrian racer Alex, devised the stunt to publicise her debut novel set in the F1 paddock. ...
- Bayern meet Dortmund in all-German Champions League final Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Germans will descend on London's Wembley Stadium later on Saturday (1845 GMT) when four-times winners Bayern Munich take on domestic rivals Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League final. The world's most prestigious club soccer match pits unassuming 68-year-old Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes against excitable Dortmund boss Juergen Klopp, 45, in an intriguing clash of styles. ...
- NBA - Pacers turn up Heat in Miami to level series Reuters
By Simon Evans MIAMI (Reuters) - The Indiana Pacers threw open the NBA Eastern Conference finals on Friday, upsetting the Miami Heat with a 97-93 victory to level the best-of-seven series at 1-1. LeBron James scored 36 points for Miami but gave up two crucial turnovers down the stretch that cost the Heat, while Roy Hibbert top-scored for the Pacers with 29 points and Paul George added 22 and produced some outstanding defensive work. ...
- In Syria's shadow, Iraq violence presents new test for U.S. Reuters
By Warren Strobel WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saddled with Middle East problems ranging from Iran to Syria and beyond, President Barack Obama now faces one that is both old and new: Iraq. Unresolved sectarian tensions, inflamed by the raging civil war in neighbouring Syria, have combined to send violence in Iraq to its highest level since Obama withdrew the last U.S. troops in December 2011, U.S. officials and Middle East analysts say. A Sunni Muslim insurgency against the Shi'ite-led Baghdad government has also been reawakened. ...
- Brazil's Santos decide to let Neymar go Reuters
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's Neymar is on the verge of choosing one of two offers from un-named clubs, reported to be Spanish suitors Barcelona and Real Madrid, after Santos agreed on Friday to transfer him. Santos said they had ended a three-year fight to keep the 21-year-old, Brazil's big hope for next year's World Cup finals, and agreed to a transfer, giving him the right to choose which offer to accept, though a decision was not imminent. ...
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children - media Reuters
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Seventeen Pakistani children burnt to death on Saturday when a gas cylinder on the bus taking them to school exploded, media said. Ten children were injured in the blaze on the outskirts of Gujrat, 100 miles (170 km) southeast of Islamabad, DawnNews said. Many vehicles in energy-starved Pakistan are powered by relatively cheap compressed natural gas and cylinder blasts are common. (Reporting by Nick Macfie; Editing by Ron Popeski)
- Rich country investors return home for stable cash income Reuters
By Natsuko Waki LONDON (Reuters) - The world's biggest investors may be rethinking 20 years of boosting overseas holdings and are instead seeking more stable cash income at home, as aging societies and tighter regulation dull risk appetite. This heralds a structural shift toward investments that produce long-term income in advanced economies, home to two thirds of the money held by insurers and pension funds - some $55 trillion. ...
- AirAsia India launch seen in Q4; may order 50 more jets Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - AirAsia, which smashed order records for Airbus jets to become Asia's largest budget carrier, could buy another 50 planes as it targets aggressive expansion in India, Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said. Discussion of an order for another 50 A320-family jets, worth $5 billion at list prices, comes weeks ahead of the Paris air show and five months after the Malaysian carrier added 100 jets to its order book to lift total purchases to 475 planes. ...
- Travel Picks: Top 10 golf resorts around the world Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - If your idea of a nature hike involves driving an elusive ball over acres of meticulously manicured greens, then bookmark this list of premier putting destinations created with golf enthusiasts in mind, hand-picked by the boutique hotel experts Mr & Mrs Smith (www.mrandmrssmith.com). Fore! Reuters has not endorsed this list: 1. Primland; Virginia, USA Pristine Primland hotel in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains is an elegant estate surrounded by 12,000 verdant acres. ...
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit Reuters
By Tim Gaynor and David Schwartz PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona lawman Joe Arpaio violated the constitutional rights of Latino drivers in his crackdown on illegal immigration, a federal judge found on Friday, and ordered him to stop using race as a factor in law enforcement decisions. The ruling against the Maricopa County sheriff came in response to a class-action lawsuit brought by Hispanic drivers that tested whether police can target illegal immigrants without racially profiling U.S. citizens and legal residents of Hispanic origin. U.S. ...
- Chinese premier criticises EU move on trade measures Reuters
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Chinese Premier Li Keqiang criticised the European Union over its plans to investigate alleged anti-competitive behaviour by Chinese mobile telecom equipment makers and to impose punitive import duties on solar panels from China, state media reported. The official Xinhua news agency reported late on Friday that Li had told business leaders in Switzerland such measures would "harm others without benefiting oneself". Li is the most senior Chinese official to comment on the troublesome issue so far. ...
- Syria opposition unity talks face spectre of collapse Reuters
By Khaled Yacoub Oweis ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Syrian opposition talks aimed at presenting a coherent front at an international peace conference to end the civil war faced the prospect of collapse after President Bashar al-Assad's foes failed to cut an internal deal, opposition sources said on Friday. ...
- Penguin exhibit at Florida's SeaWorld will get 10 tons of snow daily Reuters
By Barbara Liston ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - SeaWorld Orlando opened its "Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins" on Friday, a new attraction that will be coated with 10 tons of fresh snow each day. To recreate a cold, dry climate suitable for penguins in hot, humid Florida, designers used airtight doors, humidifiers and air purifiers, SeaWorld said. Icicles and glittering ice crystals were created out of hand-blown Pyrex and glass. ...
- Niko finds significant gas in India block; shares soar Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian oil and natural gas producer Niko Resources Ltd said on Friday it made a significant gas discovery, along with its partners, in the KG-D6 block off India's east coast, sending its shares up 26 percent. Niko, which partners India's Reliance Industries Ltd and BP Plc , said the discovery is expected to add to the gas resources in the block, without revealing potential reserves. "It is a significant discovery in the sense that out of a half-inch choke you have got 2,000 barrels a day and over 30 million cubic feet a day of gas flowing ... ...
- Flamengo denies Kaka interest IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 25 (IANS) Flamengo's executive director Paulo Pelaipe has rejected reports the club is pursuing unsettled Real Madrid midfielder Kaka.
- Smith fined 10 percent match fee IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Mumbai Indians batsman Dwayne Smith Saturday was fined 10 percent of his match fee for breaching the Indian Premier League (IPL) Code of Conduct during the Qualifier 2 match against Rajasthan Royals at the Eden Gardens Friday.
- Bolivia to boost incentives for gas exploration IANS
Santa Cruz (Bolivia), May 25 (IANS) Bolivia's government, which asserted greater state control over the Andean nation's natural gas sector seven years ago, says it will issue a decree to encourage investment in exploration.
- Report shows big drop in teen births in US IANS
Washington, May 25 (IANS/EFE) The birth rate among American teenage girls has dropped considerably, according to a new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Lalit Modi calls for CSK termination IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Former Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi Saturday called for the termination of Chennai Super Kings (CSK) following the arrest of Gurunath Meiyappan, son-in-law of Indian cricket board chief N. Srinivasan, in the IPL spot fixing scam.
- Charlie Sheen to use real name in `Machete Kills' IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS/EFE) For the first time in his career, Charlie Sheen will use his real name, Carlos Estevez, in the credits of the movie "Machete Kills", a decision that contrasts a past statement that he does not feel "Latino".
- Brazil oil firm sells partial stake in Tanzania block IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 25 (IANS/EFE) Brazilian state-controlled energy giant Petrobras said Friday it sold a 12 percent stake in an oil block off Tanzania's coast to Norway's Statoil.
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal IANS
The celebration of the fourth anniversary of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) on May 22 was preceded by predictions in various opinion polls about a fall in its number of Lok Sabha seats in the next general election.
- US aquarium showcases newly discovered species IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS/EFE) Danny Muñoz, a marine biologist at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, is part of the team behind an exhibit of more than a dozen newly discovered species for the facility's new Wonders of the Deep gallery.
- Cure acne without elaborate face packs IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Face packs made from a concoction of natural ingredients can clear off acne from your face. Single ingredients like unprocessed honey, toothpaste and vinegar can also do the job well.
- Riteish Deshmukh to produce biopic 'Pocket Dynamo' IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Bollywood actor Riteish Deshmukh is all set with plans for his second production - a biopic titled "Pocket Dynamo".
- Bhushan Steel to double Odisha plant capacity IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Indian steelmaker Bhushan Steel Limited (BSL) Saturday said it was all set to double the annual capacity of its steel plant in Odisha to six million tonne by the end of this year.
- We've ended up becoming film family: Kunaal Roy Kapur IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) His elder brother is associated with a film production banner, while his younger brother is a video jockey-turned-actor. Director-actor Kunaal Roy Kapur feels even though they are not really a film family, but they have ended up being one.
- Ajay Devgn to attend 'Singam 2' audio launch IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) Bollywood film "Singham" fame Ajay Devgn, director Rohit Shetty and Kannada actor Kicha Sudeep will attend the audio launch of Suriya-starrer Tamil action-drama "Singam 2" here June 2.
- Sao Paulo eyes former Villarreal forward Nilmar IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 25 (IANS) Brazil football club Sao Paulo are reportedly in talks to sign former Villarreal and Brazil international striker Nilmar.
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- CM announces more buses for DTC fleet Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Review: Faith and Freedom, Gandhi in History Hindustan Times
- Family doubts police's theory Hindustan Times
- Modi not there, but the big bash goes on Hindustan Times
- Rashid Irani's review: Fast And Furious 6 Hindustan Times
- Odisha sizzles with season's highest temperature of 47.5 degree Hindustan Times
- Cong leader remains in jail, Trinamool leader gets bail Hindustan Times
- Review: A life apart, an autobiography Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Hooda's love for Gujarat, Modi! 1 hour 21 minutes ago
- In Syria's shadow, Iraq violence presents new test for U.S.2 hours 36 minutes ago
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children - media2 hours 40 minutes ago
- Media messed up Twitter: Ashton Kutcher1 hour 21 minutes ago
- Facebook Phone's poor U.S. sales, feedback delays Europe launch 1 hour 53 minutes ago
- Yahoo acquired Tumblr makes founder, loyal staff wealthier1 hour 53 minutes ago
- Sasheh Agha: people believe that I am a hot-n-happening babe4 minutes 4 seconds ago
- Happy Birthday Karan Johar!4 minutes 22 seconds ago
- Zindagi 50-50 Movie Review33 minutes ago
- US mom gave birth to child after her heart stopped and then came back to life1 hour 21 minutes ago
- 100-year-old X-rays reveal how corset-clad Victorian women endured pain1 hour 53 minutes ago