By Silvia Antonioli LONDON (Reuters) - Mid-sized producer Jindal Steel and Power hopes to quadruple steel output by 2016 to cash in on an infrastructure boom in the world's second most populous country and is also in talks to buy mining assets in West Africa. V. R. Sharma, head of steel operations at one of India's largest producers, told Reuters he was targeting a rise in output to 16 million tonnes per year by 2016 from 4 million now thanks to new steelmaking plants in India and Oman. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's plea IANS
The Delhi High Court Friday reserved its verdict on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's plea challenging a trial court order to frame charges against him in a 1984 More »
- Koda surrenders after week-long bail, sent to judicial custody IANS
Ranchi, May 24 (IANS) Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, allegedly at the centre of a Rs.2,500 crore money laundering scam, surrendered in a court here More »
- BJP demands Sheila's resignation after Lokayukta charge IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Delhi unit Friday staged a sit-in protest near Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's official residence here, More »
- US drone strikes violate sovereignty, says Pakistan IANS
Islamabad, May 24 (IANS) Pakistani government Friday reiterated its opposition to US drone strikes on its territory, saying the strikes were "counter-productive" More »
- Averse to frisking, Meira Kumar shoots down Ukraine visit Hindustan Times
India, May 24 -- Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar shot down a bilateral meet at Kiev after Ukraine refused to exempt her and accompanying six MPs from More »
- Artist Kapoor draws on Berlin's dark history in new show Reuters
By Sarah Marsh BERLIN (Reuters) - Blood-red bricks of wax are shifted by conveyor belts up metal chutes towards the centre of an atrium before thudding down and splattering like entrails, in a monumental new installation created by artist Anish Kapoor for his new show in Berlin. A giant, dark sun-like red disk hovers above the ever-growing heaps of wax splodges in "Symphony for a Beloved Sun", which opens Kapoor's first major exhibit in Berlin, running until November 24 in the Martin Gropius Bau exhibition hall. ...
- Period dramas premiere on day 10 of Cannes film festival Reuters
By Alexandria Sage CANNES (Reuters) - America's immigration debate finds echos in a period drama that premiered at the Cannes film festival on Friday about a Polish woman who arrives at Ellis Island and fights to survive in 1920s New York. "The Immigrant" features French Oscar winner Marion Cotillard as the immigrant Ewa, speaking English and Polish in the film, with Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner as the two men with whom she becomes entangled as she is forced into prostitution. ...
- Iran filmmaker gets standing ovation for secret film at Cannes Reuters
By Mike Davidson CANNES (Reuters) - An Iranian director who was jailed for anti-government propaganda in 2010 emerged at the Cannes film festival on Friday to premiere a new film about state oppression that he shot in secret in his home country. Mohammad Rasoulof was found guilty of "actions and propaganda against the system" after trying to make a documentary about the unrest that followed the disputed re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2009. He was jailed for six years and banned from making films and leaving Iran for 20 years. ...
- Wall St slips on Fed stimulus uncertainty; P&G jumps Reuters
By Leah Schnurr NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks fell for a third day on Friday, putting indexes on track for their first negative week since mid-April, on lingering concern the U.S. central bank may scale back its stimulus measures to support the economy. Still, losses were mild by midday, with a 4 percent gain in Procter & Gamble helping both the Dow and the S&P 500. A jump in April orders for long-lasting manufactured goods, such as refrigerators and toasters, painted an encouraging economic picture. ...
- ITV News Twitter account hacked by Syrian Electronic Army Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - British broadcaster ITV on Friday became the latest media outlet to have one of its Twitter feeds hacked by anonymous supporters of Syria's President Bashar al-Assad, just days after Twitter beefed up security to prevent such attacks. Twitter Inc said on Wednesday that it had started rolling out an optional two-step authentication regime for its users to thwart hackers. The Associated Press, Britain's Financial Times and Daily Telegraph newspapers have all previously succumbed to attacks from the self-styled Syrian Electronic Army. ...
- Damp Paris a danger for claycourt ace Nadal Reuters
By Gregory Blachier PARIS (Reuters) - Making his comeback after missing the last two grand slams, Rafa Nadal probably expects a warm reception next week when he returns to Roland Garros - an event which is supposed to be one of the summer highlights of the French sporting calendar. Yet the Spaniard, in pursuit of a record-extending eighth title, is likely to be greeted by cold, grey and damp weather and few would blame him if he turned up at the French Open with thermals covering his bulging muscles. ...
- Adidas and Puma take rivalry to European soccer final Reuters
By Victoria Bryan and Keith Weir FRANKFURT/LONDON (Reuters) - German sportswear makers Adidas and Puma renew their own decades-old rivalry when soccer teams Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund meet in Europe's Champions League Final at Wembley on Saturday. Adidas is the long-standing kit supplier to Bayern and owns a stake of around nine percent in the Bavarian club, while Puma became the sportswear partner of Dortmund a year ago. ...
- Europa League winners to get Champions League spot Reuters
By Mike Collett LONDON (Reuters) - The Europa League, long regarded as the impoverished relation of the glitzy Champions League, was boosted on Friday by UEFA's announcement that the winners would qualify for the elite competition from 2015. In an attempt to increase the prestige of its secondary competition, UEFA also said 16 teams rather than the current six would qualify directly for the group stages. ...
- Caterham tried to be too clever, says Fernandes Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO, May 24 (Reuters) - Tailenders Caterham could have been one of Formula One's midfield teams by now had they not tried to be too clever last season, owner Tony Fernandes said on Friday. Speaking to reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix, social highlight of the calendar and sixth race of the year, the Malaysian described 2012 as "a blip, a disappointment' for a team still seeking their first point in more than three seasons. ...
- HSBC calls for faster banking reforms Reuters
By Steve Slater and Matt Scuffham LONDON (Reuters) - HSBC called on regulators to speed up industry reform as its shareholders urged Europe's biggest bank to take a lead in cutting pay and criticised it for compliance failings and aiding tax avoidance. HSBC Chairman Douglas Flint told around 400 shareholders at the bank's annual meeting that the fallout from recent scandals had created a "once-in-a-generation" opportunity to reform banking and the broader financial industry. "As a first priority we need to speed up the reform process. ...
- Niko Resources discovers huge gas in India block; shares soar Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian oil and natural gas producer Niko Resources Ltd said on Friday it made a significant gas discovery, along with its partners, in the KG-D6 block off India's east coast, sending its shares up 26 percent. Niko, which partners Reliance Industries Ltd and BP Plc , said the discovery is expected to add to the gas resources in the block, without revealing potential reserves. "Formation evaluation indicates a gross gas and condensate column in the well of about 155 meters in the Mesozoic reservoirs," the companies said in a statement. ...
- I got carried away with QPR, says 'naive' Fernandes Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Tony Fernandes pleaded guilty to naivety on Friday and said he had let his heart rule his head with Queens Park Rangers in the Premier League last season and paid the price with relegation. Recognising that he had messed up - only in stronger language - the Malaysian aviation entrepreneur and club chairman accepted it could be years before the west Londoners returned to the top flight. ...
- Rowing body chief Oswald runs for IOC top job Reuters
By Karolos Grohmann LONDON (Reuters) - World rowing federation (FISA) boss Denis Oswald became the fifth candidate for the International Olympic Committee (IOC) presidency on Friday, with the Swiss sports administrator citing his long experience as an asset. Oswald, an IOC member since 1991 and member of the powerful executive board for 12 years until 2012, joins the race which already includes Germany's Thomas Bach, Singapore's Ng Ser Miang, Puerto Rican banker Richard Carrion and world boxing (AIBA) chief CK Wu from Taiwan. ...
- Moutinho and Rodriguez join Monaco from Porto Reuters
LISBON (Reuters) - Porto have sold midfielders Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez to Monaco for 70 million Euros, the Portuguese champions said on Friday. "We have reached a deal to sell Rodriguez and Moutinho to Monaco," Porto said in a statement to Portuguese market regulator CMVM. Porto, who beat Monaco in the 2004 Champions League final, will receive 45 million euros for Colombian Rodriguez and 25 million for Portuguese international Moutinho. Both players have signed five-year contracts. ...
- Pakistani plane forced to land near London, two held IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Britain had to scramble fighter jets Friday to escort a Pakistani International Airlines (PIA) plane down to land after it was diverted from Manchester. Later, two people were arrested from aboard the aircraft on suspicion of endangering the flight.
- Two held over Pakistani plane's mid-air alert IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Britain had to scramble fighter jets Friday for escorting a Pakistani International Airlines (PIA) plane after it was diverted from Manchester. Later, two people were arrested on suspicion of endangering the aircraft's flight.
- Haryana man gets 10 years jail for raping university student IANS
Chandigarh, May 24 (IANS) A court in Harayana's Sonipat town Friday sentenced a man to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for the rape of a first-year law student of Haryana's all-women university, Bhagat Phool Singh Women's University.
- NCP talks in two voices on BCCI chief's resignation IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Hours after its spokesperson demanded resignation of Indian cricket board chief N. Srinivasan over his son-in-law's name figuring in the investigations into the IPL spot fixing scandal, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Friday sought to distance itself from the demand.
- GJM calls indefinite shutdown in Darjeeling hills IANS
Darjeeling, May 24 (IANS) The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Friday called an indefinite shutdown in north Bengal's Darjeeling hills from Sunday to protest the arrest of an elected member of the hill development body for alleged involvement in arson and violence.
- 'Srinivasan's rise testifies Indian community's contributions to US' IANS
Washington, May 24 (IANS) Indian Ambassador Nirupama Rao has hailed Indian-American Srikanth 'Sri' Srinivasan's Senate confirmation as a top US judge as yet another proof of the Indian community's "sterling contributions to the US society and India-US relations".
- Siberian polar bear to undertake mating trip IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A male polar bear in Russia's Siberia region is to be transferred from one zoo to another in a bid to produce offspring, a zoo official said.
- Deepika finds current IPL theme song 'most catchy' IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) Actor Deepika Padukone finds 'Dil Jumping Zapak' - the peppy theme song of the sixth season of Indian Premier League - "most catchy" of all the IPL tunes.
- Spot fixing: Five accused sent to judicial custody IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) A Delhi court sent five spot fixing scam accused, including two former cricketers, to judicial custody till June 4.
- Kerala party leaders capable of resolving issues: Antony IANS
Kannur (Kerala), May 24 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Friday expressed confidence that leaders of the Congress' Kerala unit would themselves resolve any issue facing them.
- Top banking honchos to attend leadership meet IANS
Kozhikode, May 24 ( IANS) Thirty top executive directors and CEOs of leading nationalised banks in the country will attend a classroom training at IIM Kozhikode for three days starting Monday.
- Asia's biggest cruise liner docks in Goa IANS
Panaji, May 24 (IANS) One of the world's biggest cruise liners, Royal Caribbean International's Mariner of the Seas, Friday arrived at Mormugao port in Goa, which has plans of promoting the state as a destination for lucrative ocean cruise market.
- Assocham calls for comprehensive port development strategy IANS
Hyderabad, May 24 (IANS) Industry body, Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham), has called for a comprehensive port development strategy and for providing level playing field to private players.
- RIL-BP make huge gas discovery in KG-D6 IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) Friday announced a large natural gas discovery in the consortium's KG-D6 block offshore in Andhra Pradesh.
- Russia opens consulate in Goa IANS
Panaji, May 24 (IANS) A slew of illegal land deals involving its nationals was one of the reasons why Russia decided to start a consular office in Goa, which hosted 1.5 lakh Russian tourists this season, Ambassador Alexander Kadakin said Friday.
- Spot-fixing: NCP, SP seek Srinivasan's scalp Hindustan Times
- Asad Rauf leaves India, leaves behind gift hampers from bookies Hindustan Times
- Escape to a stellar experience Hindustan Times
- 12-year old girl gangraped, set ablaze in Nagpur Hindustan Times
- Airlines must cap privileged category seats at 10%: govt Hindustan Times
- Sr cop who probed 26/11 case retires Hindustan Times
- No exam papers, report cards if pupils want refund: school Hindustan Times
- BMC cell to hasten RTI process Hindustan Times
- Teachers back on election duty Hindustan Times
- Number-crunching teen in Limca Book of Records Hindustan Times
- JEE row: CBSE told to give answer keys to students Hindustan Times
- BJP gives it back, says govt to blame for delayed bills Hindustan Times
- Spot-fixing: NCP, SP seek BCCI chief N Srinivasan's scalp Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- GJM calls indefinite shutdown in Darjeeling hills44 minutes ago
- Kerala party leaders capable of resolving issues: Antony1 hour 6 minutes ago
- UK fighters escort Pakistan plane to airport; two arrested2 hours 0 minutes ago
- Syria opposition seeks to unify as momentum for talks builds2 hours 5 minutes ago
- Interview: Pakistan should consider IMF deal after reforms in place - adviser2 hours 30 minutes ago
- Damp Paris a danger for claycourt ace Nadal46 minutes ago
- Adidas and Puma take rivalry to European soccer final57 minutes ago
- Europa League winners to get Champions League spot1 hour 1 minute ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- Cricket: Yorkshire chief upbeat after ENG-NZ first day washout1 hour 32 minutes ago
- No play possible on first day of second test1 hour 40 minutes ago
- Cricket: First day in second Eng-NZ Test washed out2 hours 22 minutes ago