KABUL (Reuters) - A large blast was heard in the centre of the Afghan capital, Kabul, on Friday with a Reuters witness hearing heavy shooting directly afterwards. The explosion occurred at about 4 p.m. (11:30 GMT) in the downtown district of Borj-e Sharahah, a Kabul police spokesman said. There was no word on any casualties. (Reporting by Amie Ferris-Rotman and Mirwais Harooni; Editing by Robert Birsel)
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Spot fixing: Police rejects CSK boss plea to appear on Monday ANI
Mumbai Police on Friday rejected Chennai Super Kings boss Gurunath Meiyappan's plea to give him time till Monday to appear before its crime branch for questioning More »
- Averse to frisking, Meira Kumar shoots down Ukraine visit Hindustan Times
India, May 24 -- Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar shot down a bilateral meet at Kiev after Ukraine refused to exempt her and accompanying six MPs from More »
- No need to ban IPL, guilty will be punished: RPN Singh IANS
Minister of State for Home Affairs R.P.N. Singh Friday said it would not be right to ban the Indian Premier League (IPL) in view of fresh revelations in the spot More »
- UK cleric inspired Woolwich suspect to behead Islam enemies ANI
The suspects behind the Woolwich beheading of a British soldier were reportedly inspired by the preachings of cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed. More »
- History maker 'Sri' Srinivasan's feat hailed widely IANS
History-making Indian-American legal luminary Srikanth 'Sri' Srinivasan's unanimous Senate confirmation as the first South Asian judge on the powerful appeals court More »
- North Korea says will take "positive steps" for peace Reuters
By Terril Yue Jones and Sui-Lee Wee BEIJING (Reuters) - A North Korean envoy told China's president on Friday that his reclusive country was willing to take "positive actions" to ensure peace and stability on the Korean peninsula, as China steps up diplomatic efforts to bring Pyongyang back to talks. Choe Ryong-hae, a special envoy of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, met Chinese officials, including President Xi Jinping, in the highest-ranking visit by an official from Pyongyang in about six months. ...
- Jet Airways Q4 net loss widens to 4.96 billion rupees Reuters
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Jet Airways, which recently agreed to sell a 24 percent stake to Gulf carrier Etihad, reported a wider quarterly loss, hurt by higher costs. Jet said its net loss was 4.96 billion rupees for its fiscal fourth-quarter ended March, compared with a net loss of 2.98 billion rupees reported a year earlier. Etihad's about $370 million investment in Jet is the first by an overseas operator in an Indian airline since ownership rules were relaxed and provides Jet with a deep-pocketed global partner as well as cash to retire debt. ($1 = 55. ...
- New bird flu strain may be capable of spreading from human to human: study Reuters
By Lavinia Mo HONG KONG (Reuters) - The H7N9 bird flu virus may be capable of spreading from human to human and can be transmitted not only through direct contact but also through airborne exposure, researchers at the University of Hong Kong have found. The researchers found in a study, presented at a news briefing on Friday, that three ferrets - the main animal used for research into human influenza - that were placed in close contact with ferrets injected with H7N9 contracted the virus. One out of three that were kept in different cages became infected through airborne exposure. ...
- Sensex ends four-day losing streak; GDP, flows on watch Reuters
By Abhishek Vishnoi MUMBAI (Reuters) - The BSE Sensex snapped a four-day losing streak to edge higher on Friday, rebounding as Tata Steel surged after its March-quarter operating profit beat analyst estimates and as recently beaten-down blue-chips such as Larsen & Toubro recovered. Sentiment improved after foreign institutional investors extended their record net purchases of Indian stocks to a twenty-sixth consecutive session on Thursday, despite worries the Fed may unwind its stimulus earlier than expected. ...
- Wikileaks documentary spotlights complexity of Julian Assange Reuters
By Zorianna Kit LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Wikileaks founder Julian Assange may claim to be a champion of transparency, but when an Oscar-winning filmmaker wanted to shine a light on his rise to fame after publishing secret U.S. diplomatic cables on his website, Assange was none too pleased. Alex Gibney set out to uncover the story behind Assange, 41, and the website he founded in 2006 to leak classified information submitted by anonymous sources, but received little cooperation from the former computer hacker. ...
- EXCLUSIVE - Malaysia tycoon plans IPO of football club Cardiff City: sources Reuters
By Yantoultra Ngui KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysian billionaire Vincent Tan is exploring an IPO of British soccer team Cardiff City for as early as this year, people with knowledge of the matter told Reuters, in a deal that would follow the team's recent promotion to the Premier League. The process is in its early stages, the people said, with details on the timing, size and listing venue subject to change. A listing would come after Manchester United Plc's debut on the New York Stock Exchange last year, which raised $233.2 million in the largest sports team IPO ever. ...
- Russia's leading social network banned by "mistake" Reuters
By Douglas Busvine MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's leading online social network was briefly banned on Friday, in a move dismissed as a "mistake" but which follows intensifying official pressure on the company as President Vladimir Putin consolidates his power. VKontakte (www.vk.com), Europe's largest homegrown social network with 210 million registered users, was put overnight on a "black list" of sites barred from distributing content inside Russia. Hours later, the ban was lifted. ...
- World shares steady but stimulus fears still present Reuters
By Richard Hubbard LONDON (Reuters) - World share markets looked vulnerable to further falls on Friday, with better economic news from Europe doing little to encourage investors who are worried that central bank stimulus may curtailed. MSCI's world equity index, which shed 1.4 percent for its second biggest daily loss of the year on Thursday, was virtually unchanged, with losses in Europe cancelling out a rise of nearly one percent in Japan's turbulent Nikkei. ...
- Gold futures edge lower; mute physical buying Reuters
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Indian gold futures edged lower on Friday as a strong rupee offset gains in the world market, while demand was lacklustre in the physical market after many weeks of hectic buying. "We are entering into a lean season in India, so physical buyers will be on the sidelines as we have seen huge buying in April and May," said a trader with a private-run bank. ...
- Platini repeats call for European sports police force Reuters
By Mike Collett LONDON (Reuters) - UEFA president Michel Platini renewed his call for the formation of a European sports police force on Friday, telling delegates at the opening of the UEFA Congress he was upset that his appeal for one had been ignored for six years. "Six years ago now, in response to...problems of betting, corruption and match-fixing, as well as the problems of hooliganism and doping, I called for the establishment of a European sports police force," Platini said. "There has been no response to those calls so far. ...
- Wockhardt slumps for second day on U.S. FDA import alert Reuters
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Shares in Wockhardt Ltd plummeted as much as 19.3 percent on Friday to their lowest since August 2012, continuing to reel for the second day, after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration imposed an "import alert" on a plant operated by the generic drugmaker. Wockhardt shares had already slumped by their daily limit of 20 percent on Thursday on the U.S. FDA action. An "import alert", effectively a ban, results in detention without physical examination of drugs from firms that have not met so-called good manufacturing practices, according to the FDA website. ...
- Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks Reuters
By Yoshiyuki Osada OSAKA, Japan (Reuters) - Two elderly South Korean women forced to work in Japanese war-time military brothels cancelled a meeting on Friday with the mayor of the city of Osaka after he refused to withdraw remarks asserting the brothels were "necessary" at the time. The mayor of Osaka, Toru Hashimoto, an outspoken populist who has often stirred controversy, sparked a storm of criticism at home and abroad when he said last week that the military brothels had been needed, and Japan has been unfairly singled out for wartime practices common among other militaries. ...
- Former Giro winner Di Luca tests positive for EPO Reuters
REUTERS - Former Giro d'Italia winner Danilo Di Luca has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for the banned blood booster erythropoietin (EPO), the International Cycling Union (UCI) said on Friday. Italian Di Luca, who had a previous positive for the same banned substance in 2009, failed an out-of-competition test taken on April 29 at his home, five days before the start of this year's Giro. The 37-year-old Di Luca, who joined the Vini-Fantini team last month, won the Liege-Bastogne-Liege classic and the Giro in 2007. ...
- RBI plans to ease hedging norms for exporters, importers Reuters
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The Reserve Bank of India plans to allow exporters and importers to rebook and cancel up to 50 percent of their total hedged exposure from the present cap of 25 percent, Executive Director G. Padmanabhan said in a speech in Singapore on Friday. Padmanabhan did not explain why the RBI was contemplating taking this measure. In July RBI had allowed only exporters to cancel and rebook forward contracts up to 25 percent of hedged exposure. ...
- Another bookie arrested for IPL spot fixing IANS
Hyderabad/New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Another bookie was arrested in the Indian Premier League IPL spot fixing scandal Friday from Hyderabad, Delhi Police sources said.
- BJP demands Sheila's resignation after Lokayukta charge IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Delhi unit Friday staged a sit-in protest near Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's official residence here, demanding her resignation over alleged misuse of public money for "political purposes" ahead of the 2008 assembly polls.
- President concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
Shimla, May 24 (IANS) President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures.
- US drone strikes violate sovereignty, says Pakistan IANS
Islamabad, May 24 (IANS) Pakistani government Friday reiterated its opposition to US drone strikes on its territory, saying the strikes were "counter-productive" and "entail loss of innocent civilian lives".
- One more to be inducted in Siddaramaiah ministry Saturday IANS
Bangalore, May 24 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will induct Congress legislator S. R. Patil into his ministry Saturday, four days ahead of the state legislature's first session after the party wrested power from BJP early this month.
- Now, real crime investigations live on TV IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) "100 Ek Shunya Shunya", a new crime show, is in line to show the real investigations on the small screen. It will take the audiences into the world of police - control rooms, lock-ups, etc.
- Doctor kidnapped for ransom in Ghaziabad IANS
Ghaziabad, May 24 (IANS) A doctor was kidnapped for ransom here, police said Friday. The doctor's wife received a ransom call for Rs.50 lakh.
- UP minister's son goes missing IANS
Lucknow, May 24 (IANS) The son of an Uttar Pradesh minister has gone missing from Bareilly city, police said Friday, adding a manhunt has been launched to trace him.
- Koda surrenders after week-long bail, sent to judicial custody IANS
Ranchi, May 24 (IANS) Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, allegedly at the centre of a Rs.2,500 crore money laundering scam, surrendered in a court here Friday after his bail period ended and was sent to 14 days in judicial custody.
- China reaffirms denuclearisation on Korean Peninsula IANS
Beijing, May 24 (IANS) President Xi Jinping Friday reaffirmed China's stance of denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula while stressing that targets should be met by all parties involved irrespective of how the situation evolved.
- TV doesn't give as much liberty as films: designer Neerushaa IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Costume designer Neerushaa, who has been designing for the television industry for the last 12 years, talks about lack of freedom as they have to "go though many people" and admits it is "much harder" to work for TV projects.
- Tom Struthers backbone of 'D-Day': Arjun Rampal IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Actors Arjun Rampal and Irrfan, who play RAW agents in Nikhil Advani's forthcoming thriller "D-Day", trained with Hollywood stunt director Tom Struthers for real action sequences in the film. Arjun calls him the "backbone" of the movie.
- CSK chief Meiyappan to meet Mumbai police Friday IANS
Chennai, May 24 (IANS) Gurunath Meiyappan, the chief of IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings and son-in-law of Indian cricket board president N. Srinivasan, is expected to appear before Mumbai police Friday evening.
- Abhishek Bachchan nurtures dream for Indian football team IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Actor Abhishek Bachchan, an avid football fan, wishes that the Indian football team qualifies for the FIFA finals slated for 2014.
- 'Maharana Pratap' to open with Big B's voice IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan will narrate a part of the opening episode of forthcoming show "Bharat Ka Veer Putra - Maharana Pratap".
- Airlines must cap privileged category seats at 10%: govt Hindustan Times
- Sr cop who probed 26/11 case retires Hindustan Times
- No exam papers, report cards if pupils want refund: school Hindustan Times
- BMC cell to hasten RTI process Hindustan Times
- Teachers back on election duty Hindustan Times
- Number-crunching teen in Limca Book of Records Hindustan Times
- JEE row: CBSE told to give answer keys to students Hindustan Times
- BJP gives it back, says govt to blame for delayed bills Hindustan Times
- An emotional brush with parenthood at Cannes Film Festival Hindustan Times
- Fixing saga, stocks of India Cements go south Hindustan Times
- Cops verifying documents of Vikhroli boats Hindustan Times
- FSI not applied to most constructed areas in Worli building Hindustan Times
- Matunga institute wins $1,60,000 for innovation Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Another bookie arrested for IPL spot fixing15 minutes ago
- BJP demands Sheila's resignation after Lokayukta charge18 minutes ago
- President concerned over disruptions in legislatures18 minutes ago
- EXCLUSIVE - Malaysia tycoon plans IPO of football club Cardiff City: sources1 hour 11 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- Consumers underestimate calories in fast-food meals1 hour 7 minutes ago
- Drug target to boost body's natural flu killer identified1 hour 7 minutes ago
- PCB to soon bring umpires 'under domain' 1 hour 35 minutes ago