By Khaled Yacoub Oweis ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Syrian opposition talks aimed at presenting a coherent front at an international peace conference to end the civil war faced the prospect of collapse after President Bashar al-Assad's foes failed to cut an internal deal, opposition sources said on Friday. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's plea IANS
The Delhi High Court Friday reserved its verdict on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's plea challenging a trial court order to frame charges against him in a 1984 More »
- Koda surrenders after week-long bail, sent to judicial custody IANS
Ranchi, May 24 (IANS) Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, allegedly at the centre of a Rs.2,500 crore money laundering scam, surrendered in a court here More »
- BJP demands Sheila's resignation after Lokayukta charge IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Delhi unit Friday staged a sit-in protest near Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's official residence here, More »
- US drone strikes violate sovereignty, says Pakistan IANS
Islamabad, May 24 (IANS) Pakistani government Friday reiterated its opposition to US drone strikes on its territory, saying the strikes were "counter-productive" More »
- Averse to frisking, Meira Kumar shoots down Ukraine visit Hindustan Times
India, May 24 -- Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar shot down a bilateral meet at Kiev after Ukraine refused to exempt her and accompanying six MPs from More »
- Penguin exhibit at Florida's SeaWorld will get 10 tons of snow daily Reuters
By Barbara Liston ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - SeaWorld Orlando opened its "Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins" on Friday, a new attraction that will be coated with 10 tons of fresh snow each day. To recreate a cold, dry climate suitable for penguins in hot, humid Florida, designers used airtight doors, humidifiers and air purifiers, SeaWorld said. Icicles and glittering ice crystals were created out of hand-blown Pyrex and glass. ...
- Niko finds significant gas in India block; shares soar Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian oil and natural gas producer Niko Resources Ltd said on Friday it made a significant gas discovery, along with its partners, in the KG-D6 block off India's east coast, sending its shares up 26 percent. Niko, which partners India's Reliance Industries Ltd and BP Plc , said the discovery is expected to add to the gas resources in the block, without revealing potential reserves. "It is a significant discovery in the sense that out of a half-inch choke you have got 2,000 barrels a day and over 30 million cubic feet a day of gas flowing ... ...
- French, Niger troops kill Islamists holding out at Niger base Reuters
By Abdoulaye Massalatchi NIAMEY (Reuters) - French special forces and Niger troops shot dead on Friday the last two Islamists involved in a twin attack on a military base and a French uranium mine in Niger claimed by the mastermind of January's mass hostage-taking in Algeria. Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a one-eyed veteran of al Qaeda's North African operations, said in a statement that his Mulathameen brigade organised Thursday's raids with the MUJWA militant group in retaliation for Niger's role in a French-led war on Islamists in Mali. ...
- NSE to implement transaction tax cut as of June 1 Reuters
Reuters Market Eye - The National Stock Exchange will reduce the securities transaction tax (STT) on equity futures to 0.01 percent from 0.017 percent from June 1, NSE said in a statement. Purchases of a unit in an equity-oriented fund will not attract any STT compared to 0.1 percent earlier, while sale of such units would have STT of 0.001 percent versus 0.1 percent previously, the NSE said. These changes in the STT were included in the budget unveiled for 2012/13 that has subsequently been passed by parliament. (Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- England Under-21 winger Townsend charged in betting probe Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - England Under-21 winger Andros Townsend has withdrawn from the squad for June's European Championship in Israel after being charged by the FA with alleged betting offences. "The FA has announced it has charged Andros Townsend in relation to alleged breaches of its rules governing misconduct and betting," an FA statement said on Friday. "The Tottenham Hotspur player has been charged with breaches of Rule E8 (b) in relation to a number of betting offences." Players in England are not allowed to bet on competitions they take part in or have an influence over. ...
- Zanardi hopes to make Indy 500 dreams a reality Reuters
By Steve Keating INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Alex Zanardi's dream of racing in the Indianapolis 500 continues to burn and team owner Chip Ganassi said on Friday that he has a car for his former champion whenever he is ready. But for the 46-year-old Zanardi, age, and not the fact that he is a double-amputee, is catching up with the two-time CART drivers champion who made an emotional appearance at the famed Brickyard for a reunion with Ganassi and his former team. ...
- Stockholm calmer but violence spreads outside Swedish capital Reuters
By Ilze Filks and Mia Shanley STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - A nearly week-long spate of rioting spread outside Stockholm on Friday but authorities said police reinforcements sent to the Swedish capital had reduced the violence there, even though dozens of youths set cars and a recycling station ablaze. The rioting - set off earlier this month by the police shooting of a 69-year-old man - continued for a sixth night in mainly poor immigrant areas in Stockholm. ...
- Weekahead - Shares to track GDP, foreign inflows Reuters
Reuters Market Eye - The government will release January-March quarter GDP on Friday, which is expected to confirm the economy grew at its slowest pace in a decade in the 2012/13 fiscal year. GDP data should also show whether the economy has gained some traction after the government's reforms moves and RBI's rate cuts. Investors will also be eyeing whether strong foreign buying continues. ...
- Wall St Week Ahead: Investors look for signs in the rally's break Reuters
By Caroline Valetkevitch NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. stock market's break in its recent rally this week left investors wondering if they're seeing a turning point or just a blip in the upward path. Next week could make it harder to figure out, considering that the long Memorial Day weekend typically signals the start of the summer. The three major U.S. stock indexes posted a decline for the week on Friday, their first weekly loss since mid-April, raising some fresh worries that this year's rally may be weakening. ...
- News Corp to take charge of up to $1.4 billion this quarter Reuters
By Jennifer Saba REUTERS - News Corp said on Friday it will write down the value of its Australian and U.S. publishing assets by up to $1.4 billion, as the company prepares to split its business between its newspaper and entertainment operations. The company said the goodwill impairment charge was primarily for its Australia newspapers though it gave no more details. It also said it expected reduced cash flows in the future. The charge will be taken in the quarter ending June 30 and could effectively wipe out News Corp's profit. Analysts were expecting News Corp to report a pretax profit of ...
- Woods heads potent field for next week's Memorial Reuters
REUTERS - Next week's Memorial tournament at Muirfield Village in Dublin, Ohio will feature one of the season's strongest fields with the world's top six players all taking part in the PGA Tour event hosted by Jack Nicklaus. Top-ranked Tiger Woods will be back to defend the title he claimed by two shots last year while Rory McIlroy (second), Adam Scott (third), 2010 champion Justin Rose (fourth), Brandt Snedeker (fifth) and Luke Donald (sixth) will also be competing. Apart from five-times winner Woods and Rose, seven other former champions will be returning - K.J. ...
- Google to bankroll, build wireless networks across Africa - WSJ Reuters
REUTERS - Google Inc intends to finance, build and help operate wireless networks from sub-Saharan Africa to Southeast Asia, hoping to connect a billion or so people in emerging countries to the Internet, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday. The Internet search giant - which has for years espoused universal Web access - is employing a patchwork quilt of technologies and holding discussions with regulators from South Africa to Kenya, the WSJ cited people familiar with the strategy as saying. ...
- Unhappy with how your fave series is faring? Amazon gives you a say Reuters
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Amazon is once again shaking up traditional publishing models. This time, it's giving fans a chance to add their own personal touches to their favorite fiction - and get paid in the process. This week, Amazon.com Inc announced "Kindle Worlds," which offers aspiring writers an opportunity to pen their own takes on franchises in books, TV, movies, even games and comics. The world's largest Internet retailer plans to license content, then accept submissions online that may then be sold through its Kindle ebook store. ...
- Bosnia president, charged with graft, freed from jail Reuters
SARAJEVO (Reuters) - The president of Bosnia's autonomous Muslim-Croat federation was freed from jail on Friday after the Constitutional Court ordered his release following his arrest last month on corruption charges. President Zivko Budimir was arrested along with 19 other officials in late April in the most high-profile anti-corruption drive in Bosnia since independence more than two decades ago. A court ordered Budimir and his four co-accused aides to be kept in detention because some of them held Croatian passports and there was a risk they might try to flee. ...
- Foreign defence officials visit Russian military base IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Members of foreign delegations attending an international conference on European security visited a military base near Moscow that has a motorized infantry division.
- Liquor production in Russia drops 23 percent IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Production of vodka and other spirits in Russia dropped 23.3 percent in the first four months of 2013 year-on-year to 5.7 million decaliters, a report said.
- North Korea's bid to return to n-talks welcomed by Moscow IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia regards as a "positive development" reports that North Korea is willing to return to six-party talks on the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula, a Russian diplomat said.
- Italy to scrap public funding of political parties IANS
Rome, May 25 (IANS/AKI) The Italian government has agreed to abolish public funding of political parties, Prime Minister Enrico Letta announced.
- Russian social network blacklisted by mistake IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Vkontakte, Russia's biggest social networking website, was put on a state registry of blacklisted websites by mistake Friday, an official said.
- Carrie Underwood donates $1 mn to Red Cross IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Singer Carrie Underwood has donated $1 million to fund the American Red Cross' hurricane relief efforts in her hometown Oklahoma.
- Italian held in Thailand in $8 mn fraud case IANS
Bangkok, May 25 (IANS/AKI) An Italian national, suspected of defrauding Italian lenders of over $8 million, has been arrested in Thailand and will be deported to his country, Thai police said.
- Menopause can affect memory IANS
Chicago, May 25 (IANS) New research suggests women who have hot flushes during menopause, could also suffer memory issues.
- Completely support Mumbai Indians, says Ranbir IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor asserts that he "completely" supports his home team Mumbai Indians in the sixth edition of Indian Premier League.
- Brad Pitt follows Gwyneth Paltrow's dad's advice IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Hollywood star Brad Pitt follows his former fiancee Gwyneth Paltrow's father advice on remaining grounded.
- Lady Gaga ready for live gig in August? IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Pop star Lady Gaga, who underwent a hip operation earlier this year, is likely to perform on stage at a Beyonce Knowles' show in New York in August.
- Gay parade banned in Kiev IANS
Kiev, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in the Ukrainian capital has banned the holding of any non-official public events, including a gay pride (LGBT) parade, Saturday.
- Azerbaijan not to join NATO IANS
Baku, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Azerbaijan will join neither NATO nor the Russia-led Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), but is prepared to cooperate with both, a presidential aide said.
- UAE, OIC condemn killing of British soldier IANS
Abu Dhabi, May 25 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) have strongly condemned the killing of a British soldier in Woolwich, London.
- Air Arabia launches flight to Abha in Saudi Arabia IANS
Sharjah, May 25 (IANS/WAM) Air Arabia, the largest low-cost carrier in the Middle East, has launched a flight to Abha in Saudi Arabia from the airlines' main hub in Sharjah.
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- CM announces more buses for DTC fleet Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Family doubts police's theory Hindustan Times
- Modi not there, but the big bash goes on Hindustan Times
- Rashid Irani's review: Fast And Furious 6 Hindustan Times
- Odisha sizzles with season's highest temperature of 47.5 degree Hindustan Times
- Cong leader remains in jail, Trinamool leader gets bail Hindustan Times
- Veil of secrecy on CSK abode Hindustan Times
- Woman sarpanch puts husband in the dock Hindustan Times
- Vindoo, two models admit Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Stockholm calmer but violence spreads outside Swedish capital1 hour 45 minutes ago
- England Under-21 winger Townsend charged in betting probe1 hour 39 minutes ago
- Zanardi hopes to make Indy 500 dreams a reality1 hour 43 minutes ago
- Woods heads potent field for next week's Memorial2 hours 49 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013