LONDON (Reuters) - An earthquake with a magnitude of at least 6 struck southeast Uzbekistan on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage. (Reporting by Tom Pfeiffer)
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Modi calls for zero tolerance policy toward Naxalism ANI
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has termed the naxal attack on Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh as gruesome, and said that the government needed to adopt a More »
- Rahul reaches Raipur, proceeds straight to meet the injured Hindustan Times
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi landed at Chhattisgarh capital Raipur at around 1.15am by special aircraft and has proceeded straight to a private nursing home More »
- Naxal attack: Manmohan Singh, Sonia reach Raipur to assess situation ANI
Following Saturday's tragic and dastardly attack on Congress leaders and activists by Maoists in Chhattisgarh, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Congress More »
- Naxal attack: Injured Shukla airlifted to Gurgaon's Medanta hospital ANI
Senior Congress leader V.C.Shukla, who was injured after heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of party leaders in Chhattisgarh's Bastar district, was on Sunday More »
- Belaguered BCCI chief attends Dalmiya dinner in Kolkata IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) BCCI president N. Srinivasan, facing uncomfortable questions over his son-in-law's arrest in the spot fixing scam, attended a dinner thrown More »
- Spot fixing: Srinivasan says he can't be bulldozed to resign IANS
"I have no intention to resign," Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president N. Srinivasan said here Saturday after his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was More »
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested a man under anti-terrorism laws at BBC headquarters after an interviewee said security services tried More »
- Frontier Markets booming but risks mounting Reuters
By Manuela Badawy NEW YORK (Reuters) - With the world's biggest central banks driving yields on safe assets to near zero, some investors are tossing caution to the wind and rushing to buy illiquid and previously overlooked bonds sold by countries with no capital markets track record. Even the biggest investors acknowledge that "frontier markets" like Vietnam and Romania aren't for the faint of heart because nobody knows whether these new debt market players will be able to make good on their obligations. ...
- Pipeline explosion halts gas supplies to southern China - Xinhua Reuters
BEIJING (Reuters) - A section of a cross-country gas pipeline in China exploded on Sunday, injuring at least two people and halting gas supplies, local media said. The second west-east natural gas pipeline, which transports gas from central Asia to south China, exploded in an industrial zone in China's southeastern province of Jiangxi, state news agency Xinhua said. The pipeline has a capacity to transport 30 billion cubic metres of gas a year. Energy released from the explosion knocked over people hundreds of metres away, Xinhua said, without detailing the length of the exploded pipeline. ...
- Arab spring nations face delayed economic recovery - IMF Reuters
- NBA - Spurs one game away from Finals after huge comeback win Reuters
REUTERS - The San Antonio Spurs are just one win away from the NBA Finals after coming back from an 18-point deficit to beat the Memphis Grizzlies 104-93 in overtime in Memphis on Saturday. The Spurs lead the best-of-seven Western Conference Finals 3-0 after the victory and can sweep into the title series for the first time since 2007 with another win on Monday. The Grizzlies led 29-11 late in the first quarter but were worn down across the rest of the game, with the Spurs taking their first lead in the fourth quarter. ...
- Kerry presses Egypt on economic reform, says aid depends on it Reuters
By Arshad Mohammed ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urged Egypt to act swiftly on economic reforms to secure a $4.8 billion International Monetary Fund loan, saying the measures were needed to get further aid from the U.S. Congress, an American official said. Kerry met Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi for about an hour on the sidelines of an African Union summit on Saturday, discussing Syria's civil war, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, human rights in Egypt and the country's faltering economy, the official said. ...
- Will immigration reform get killed in Republican-led U.S. House? Reuters
By Thomas Ferraro WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The biggest overhaul of U.S. immigration laws in a generation won bipartisan approval from a powerful U.S. Senate committee last week, but there is a strong chance that Republicans in the House of Representatives will end up killing it. The problem: House Republicans are far from convinced by arguments from party leaders that passage of the bill would help Republicans draw support from Hispanic voters. Many also believe any kind of amnesty for the estimated 11 million immigrants who are in the United States illegally is just plain wrong. ...
- Girl power no longer a novelty at Indy 500 Reuters
By Steve Keating INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - While Formula One flirts with the idea of a female driver, girl power is already as much a part of the Indianapolis 500 as turbo-charged engines and the winner chugging cold milk in Victory Lane. Swiss Simona de Silvestro, Brazilian Ana Beatriz and Britons Pippa Mann and Katherine Legge represent the four women who will take the command to start their engines alongside 29 men at the famed Brickyard for Sunday's race. ...
- Root lifts England with maiden test century Reuters
By Justin Palmer LEEDS (Reuters) - Joe Root hit a maiden test century on his home ground at Headingley and county colleague Jonny Bairstow chipped in with 64 to leave England on top at 337 for seven in the second test against New Zealand on Saturday. Root, in his sixth test, punched the air and gleefully hugged fellow Yorkshireman Bairstow after steering Doug Bracewell to the third-man boundary to bring up his hundred. "It was a fantastic moment. I lost it a bit... ...
- At least five killed as Guinea protests escalate Reuters
CONAKRY (Reuters) - At least five people were killed on Saturday when security forces in Guinea opened fire on protesters in opposition strongholds in the capital, medical sources and witnesses said. The violence brings to 11 the number of people killed since Thursday in unrest that began over election preparations but has frequently degenerated into looting and clashes between ethnic groups. "According to our information, they (the five) all died after being shot," said Thierno Maadjou Sow, president of the OGDH human rights group. ...
- Brazil's Neymar to sign with Barcelona on Monday Reuters
By Pedro Fonseca RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's gifted World Cup hope Neymar is moving to Spanish champions Barcelona, the striker said on Saturday, and will sign a five-year contract on Monday. Neymar chose Barcelona over their Spanish arch-rivals Real Madrid after Santos ended three years of resisting offers for the 21-year-old forward and let him go before next year's tournament in Brazil. "On Monday I'm signing a contract with Barcelona," Neymar said on his Instagram page and Twitter account. Santos, on their Facebook page, and Barcelona on their website (www.fcbarcelona. ...
- Two freight trains collide in Missouri, bringing down overpass Reuters
By Tim Bross ST. LOUIS (Reuters) - Two freight trains collided at a rail intersection in rural Missouri on Saturday, triggering the collapse of a highway overpass when at least a dozen rail cars derailed and struck a support pillar, authorities said. None of the seven people hurt in the fiery crash - two train workers and five occupants of two cars on the overpass - suffered life-threatening injuries, Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter said in a statement. ...
- Tyson Gay wins Diamond League sprint in New York Reuters
By Julian Linden NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former world champion Tyson Gay, free from injury for one of the few times in recent years, blitzed his rivals on Saturday to win the 100 metres at the Adidas Grand Prix. Kenya's Olympic champion David Rudisha also outclassed his opponents to easily win the 800m at the New York leg of the Diamond League series. Croatia's Blanka Vlasic, competing for the first time since 2011, won the women's high jump while veteran Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown showed a clean pair of heels to win the women's 200m dash. ...
- Root comes of age for England in familiar surroundings Reuters
By Justin Palmer LEEDS (Reuters) - Proud sons of Yorkshire have served England well with the bat in 136 years of test cricket and Headingley rose as one on Saturday to acclaim a new home-grown hero in centurion Joe Root. The likes of Herbert Sutcliffe, Leonard Hutton, Geoffrey Boycott and Michael Vaughan have batted with distinction for England. Sutcliffe and Hutton's run-scoring feats have never been forgotten by proud Yorkshire folk despite fading in the mists of time since they made hay in the first half of the 20th century. ...
- Klopp looks on bright side despite Dante let-off Reuters
By Mark Meadows LONDON (Reuters) - Borussia Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp is such a bouncy character that not even a Champions League final defeat can really get him down, but the decision not to send off Bayern Munich defender Dante in Saturday's 2-1 defeat did rankle. Dante was already on a yellow card when he kneed the impressive Marco Reus in the chest to concede an obvious penalty but Italian referee Nicola Rizzoli did not reach for his pocket. ...
- Shukla has multiple bullet injuries: Doctors IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) The 84-year-old Congress leader V.C. Shukla, critically injured after Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region, has received multiple bullet injuries, doctors treating him at a Gurgaon hospital said Sunday.
- Michelle Keegan not keen on motherhood IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actress Michelle Keegan says she is in no hurry to be a mother, especially after playing a surrogate mother on Britain television soap "Coronation Street".
- Robert Pattinson cannot get over Stewart's affair IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Hollywood actor Robert Pattinson cannot get over ex-girlfriend Kristen Stewart's affair with director Rupert Sanders.
- Robben breaks jinx as Bayern lift Champions League IANS
London, May 26 (IANS) Arjen Robben's last-minute goal removed the jinx that haunted his side in the past three years as Bayern Munich became the European club winner for the fifth time after a 2-1 victory over Dortmund in first all-German Champions League football final.
- AFC Asian cup qualifier: India eves held 1-1 by Palestine IANS
West Bank, May 26 (IANS) India's disappointing campaign in the AFC Women's Asian Cup football (Qualifiers) ended with a 1-1 draw against hosts Palestine here at the Faisal Al Huseni Stadium.
- PM, Sonia meet victims of Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh IANS
Raipur, May 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi Sunday met victims of the Chhattisgarh Maoist attack, which left at least 16 dead, including two senior Congress leaders, and 25 people injured.
- Bill Clinton congratulates Eva Longoria IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Former US president Bill Clinton congratulated actress Eva Longoria on completing her Master's.
- Amanda Bynes accuses cop of sexual harassment IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actress Amanda Bynes has claimed that she was sexually harassed by a cop who arrested her Thursday night, according to contactmusic.com.
- Get catty with cat-eye makeup! IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Remember the classic cat-eye makeup of Asha Parekh, Sadhna, Sharmila Tagore and Helen that elongates the eye and gives it a feline look? If the style was popular back then, even now it continues to be a favourite for actresses over the years and, hence, of their fans off-screen, makeup gurus say.
- China, EU to hold talks on trade disputes IANS
Beijing, May 26 (IANS) China has said it will discuss recent trade frictions with the European Union (EU) in Brussels next week.
- BCCI suspends Meiyappan, promises to assist police IANS
Kolkata, May 26 (IANS) The Indian cricket board has suspended Chennai Super Kings' Chief Executive Officer Gurunath Meiyappan, who is now under arrest for his alleged involvement in the spot fixing scandal in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- 19 militants killed in Afghan operations IANS
Kabul, May 26 (IANS) As many as 19 militants were killed in eastern Afghan provinces during operations that started Saturday, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said Sunday.
- Middle East businessmen caught in Kerala CPI-M feud? IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 26 (IANS) Two prominent Middle East-based businessmen who hail from Kerala appear to be caught in the factional feud of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) in Kerala.
- Mumbai police raid Gurunath Meiyappan's residence IANS
Chennai, May 26 (IANS) A Mumbai Police team Sunday raided the house of Gurunath Meiyappan, the team principal of Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and son-in-law of Indian cricket board's chief N.Srinivasan.
- BCCI suspends Meiyappan IANS
Kolkata, May 26 (IANS) The Indian cricket board has suspended Chennai Super Kings chief executive officer Gurunath Meiyappan, who has been arrested for his alleged involvement in the spot fixing scandal.
- Maluka whipped up scam for science kits too Hindustan Times
- Well begun, hardly done Hindustan Times
- 'Cyber command coming up in armed forces' Hindustan Times
- Aspiring techie associates hope with elections Hindustan Times
- Virdhi leads race for top railway post Hindustan Times
- 22-year-old man drowns in ghaziabad swimming pool Hindustan Times
- Read labels, make judicious sunscreen choices Hindustan Times
- Abducted Chhattisgarh PCC chief Nand K Patel killed by Maoists Hindustan Times
- Board's governing council members' inaction questioned Hindustan Times
- Pesky calls: TRAI for snapping Net, phone links Hindustan Times
- City students win accolades for community service Hindustan Times
- No Indian choppers, guns for Karzai Hindustan Times
- Haryana school board to give copy of answer sheets to candidates Hindustan Times
- Don't think things will ever be the same: Dravid Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Magnitude 6 earthquake strikes Uzbekistan - USGS1 hour 23 minutes ago
- Kerry presses Egypt on economic reform, says aid depends on it2 hours 58 minutes ago
- Middle East businessmen caught in Kerala CPI-M feud?1 hour 38 minutes ago
- Frontier Markets booming but risks mounting1 hour 59 minutes ago
- Oz to ban bookies from promoting betting odds in broadcasts during live matches2 hours 8 minutes ago
- Brit school offers bra lessons for girls aged 111 hour 37 minutes ago
- Diet soda habit as bad for teeth as meth or cocaine addiction2 hours 38 minutes ago
- Asthma symptoms impair sleep quality and school performance in kids2 hours 51 minutes ago