MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Bernard Tomic will play at next week's French Open despite his off-court troubles if only to keep some momentum going for the grasscourt season ahead, Tennis Australia's Todd Woodbridge said on Wednesday. Tomic's father John faced a charge of causing criminal injury in a Madrid court earlier this month after allegedly assaulting his son's hitting partner Thomas Drouet. Tomic senior says he acted in self defence and the court hearing has been suspended until October. ...
Yahoo! News India
- Jessica case: HC to decide fate of hostile witnesses on Wednesday Hindustan Times
A bench would pronounce its decision in the case in which the court had questioned the prosecution as to how all the witnesses took somersault during the trial. More »
- Senate panel passes immigration bill; Obama praises move Reuters
A Senate panel approved legislation to give millions of illegal immigrants a path to citizenship, setting up a spirited debate next month in the full Senate. More »
- Li reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
Chinese premier Li Keqiang talked about what all Indians love to hear - the promise of a balanced trade, sorting all issues, including the boundary question. More »
- Twisters keep returning, but Oklahoma still short on shelters Reuters
Two elementary schools that were hit by the EF-5 tornado did not have "safe rooms" where students could shelter from the storm. More »
- West Bengal not top investment priority, says US ambassador Hindustan Times
US ambassador to India Nancy J Powell told Kolkata's industrialists West Bengal was not the first location that came to mind when talking about business and More »
- Monaco offers Hamilton his best chance yet Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Words and hats may have to be eaten along with the usual canapes and caviar if Lewis Hamilton wins the glamour race of the Formula One season in Monaco this weekend. The sceptics who doubted McLaren's 2008 world champion would stand on top of the podium this season after his move to Mercedes face a moment of truth with Hamilton's team arriving in the Mediterranean principality on the back of three pole positions in a row. ...
- NBA - Cavs win right to first pick in NBA Draft Reuters
REUTERS - The Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA Draft Lottery and the top overall pick for the second time in three years on Tuesday. The Cavaliers were able to edge out the Orlando Magic, who had the highest probability of winning the top selection, as they continue to rebuild a franchise reeling from the loss of LeBron James following the 2009-10 campaign. "It's huge for us," Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert told reporters. "This is our third year in a row in the lottery. Hopefully it's our last for a long, long time. ...
- Sony cuts sales target for cameras, smartphones for 2014-15 Reuters
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp lowered its sales target for digital cameras to 1.3 trillion yen for the fiscal year to end-March 2015, from a previous estimate of 1.5 trillion yen. Sony also cut its sales target for smartphones and tablets to 1.5 trillion yen in its 2014 fiscal year from an earlier outlook of 1.8 trillion yen. ...
- China's Li offers to help end Pakistan's energy crisis Reuters
By Nick Macfie ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - China and Pakistan should make cooperation on power generation a priority, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said, as Islamabad seeks to end an energy crisis that triggers power cuts of up to 20 hours a day, bringing the economy to a near standstill. Li arrived in the Pakistan capital on Wednesday on the second leg of his first official trip since taking office in March after a visit to Pakistan's and China's arch rival, India. Tight security included shutting down mobile phone networks across the city. ...
- China charges six in sex video "extortion" case Reuters
BEIJING (Reuters) - A court in the city of Chongqing has charged six people with working together to blackmail government officials by recording videos of them having sex, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Wednesday. The six were charged with extortion on Monday, Xinhua said, citing a statement from judicial authorities in Chongqing, where they are slated to be tried. Investigators said the group "lured officials into having sex with women and secretly recorded their encounters to blackmail them from 2008 to 2009", Xinhua said. ...
- BSE Sensex gains; IT leads Reuters
Reuters Markete Eye - The BSE Sensex gains 0.39 percent, while the broader Nifty is up 0.4 percent. Asian stocks rose on Wednesday following a positive lead from Wall Street. Technology companies gain as recent falls in the rupee are making the sector more attractive, although a U.S. immigration bill seen hurting the sector remains an uncertainty. The rupee hits a fresh near six-month low in opening trades. A U.S. ...
- Morgan Stanley resumes United Spirits at 'overweight' Reuters
Reuters Market Eye - Morgan Stanley resumes coverage of United Spirits Ltd with an "overweight" rating and a target price of 3,115 rupees. The investment bank says new owner Diageo Plc could implement a greater focus on profitable growth for the liquor maker. Morgan Stanley says United Spirits could also focus on the "prestige" liquor segment, improving margins. The bank also expects capital efficiencies, reduced leverage, strengthened leadership, and consistent disclosures to boost United Spirits' shares. As of 11.07 a.m., United Spirits shares were up 4.2 percent at 2,507 rupees. ...
- Asian stocks cheered by Fed reassurance; BOJ stands pat Reuters
By Masayuki Kitano and Vidya Ranganathan SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Asian stocks rose on Wednesday following a positive lead from Wall Street, with Japan's Nikkei reaching a fresh 5-1/2 year high and clinging to its gains as the Bank of Japan stood pat after unleashing massive stimulus last month. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan rose 0.1 percent, reversing some of Tuesday's 0.4 percent decline. The South Korean market climbed 0.8 percent. Tokyo's Nikkei gained 1.2 percent, breaking above 15,500 for the first time in over five years. ...
- North Korea sends top Kim Jong-un aide to Beijing Reuters
By Ju-min Park and Ben Blanchard SEOUL/BEIJING (Reuters) - North Korea sent one of its top military officials as a "special envoy" from its leader Kim Jong-un to Beijing on Wednesday, accompanied by a high-powered delegation in what appeared to be a bid to mend frayed relations with its most important ally. The delegation led by Choe Ryong-hae, vice chairman of the country's top military body, was the most senior to visit China since Kim's kingmaker uncle Jang Song-thaek made the trip in August 2012. ...
- Singapore inflation easing, manufacturing stays weak Reuters
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore's inflation probably eased to a near three-year low in April as government measures to rein in car prices took effect, giving authorities more flexibility to deal with an economy that is struggling to grow. According to the consensus estimate of economists polled by Reuters, the city-state's consumer price index (CPI) likely rose by 3.1 percent last month from a year ago, the smallest gain since prices rose by the same quantum in July 2010. ...
- Singer Kellie Pickler jives to victory on 'Dancing With the Stars' Reuters
By Andrea Burzynski NEW YORK (Reuters) - Country singer Kellie Pickler won the 16th season of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" on Tuesday night, winning over judges and TV audiences with her graceful style and high-jumping jives with partner and professional dancer Derek Hough. Pickler, who first grabbed attention as a contestant on "American Idol" in 2006, screeched and jumped up and down when she learned she had won. "This is amazing! Oh, my God!" she exclaimed, before fellow finalist and NFL player Jacoby Jones hoisted her on his shoulders to celebrate. ...
- China's Ai Weiwei launches musical career with heavy metal "Dumbass" single Reuters
By Maxim Duncan BEIJING (Reuters) - Dissident Chinese artist Ai Weiwei made his first foray into the musical world on Wednesday with the release of the top single from his debut album, a song called "Dumbass" that takes inspiration from his detention in 2011. The video for the heavy metal song, which was directed by Ai with cinematography by acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Doyle, depicts Ai's 81 days in secretive detention in 2011, which sparked an international outcry. "There was one thing I thought was interesting. ...
- Malaysia FA, police to investigate match-fixing claims Reuters
REUTERS - Claims of match-fixing in a Malaysian league fixture will be investigated by the country's Football Association (FAM) and sports minister on Thursday, local media reported, with the police urged to protect players from bookmakers. The second tier Malaysian Premier League match between Kuala Lumpur and Sime Darby was under suspicion, local daily The Star reported. The paper said banners were seen at the Cheras Stadium in the Malaysian capital with the message 'Bookie detected'. Sime Darby won the match 5-0. ...
- NBA - Spurs fend off rallying Grizzlies in Game Two overtime Reuters
REUTERS - San Antonio squandered a big lead in the fourth quarter and had Tim Duncan to thank for settling their nerves in overtime as the Spurs ground out a 93-89 win over the Memphis Grizzlies and took a 2-0 lead in the Western Conference finals on Tuesday. Up by 14 in the fourth, the Spurs failed to score in the last four minutes of regulation and were pushed to overtime by the rallying Grizzlies. However, Duncan scored his team's first six points in the extra session to put the Spurs back on track for the Game Two win. The series now shifts to Memphis for Game Three on Saturday. ...
- Puerto Rico teacher, prison guard held for child porn IANS
San Juan, May 22 (IANS/EFE) A teacher and a prison guard were arrested in Puerto Rico in separate cases of child pornography, the US attorney in San Juan, Rosa Emilia Rodriguez, announced Tuesday.
- `China-Pakistan have all-weather strategic ties' IANS
Islamabad, May 22 (IANS) Li Keqiang left India for Pakistan Wednesday, the second stop of his first overseas trip as China's premier. Xinhua described the Islamabad-Beijing ties as an "all-weather strategic partnership".
- 'ABCD 2' will go notch higher: Punit Pathak IANS
Mumbai, May 22 (IANS) Punit Pathak, last seen in Remo D'Souza's dance film "ABCD - AnyBody Can Dance", is set for the sequel. The actor-choreographer says part two of the film, which is now in the scripting stage, will be a "notch higher".
- Paulina Rubio to be judge on `X Factor' IANS
Miami, May 22 (IANS/EFE) Paulina Rubio will join the panel of judges for the popular Fox television show "The X Factor" next season, the Mexican singer's representative announced Tuesday.
- Luck crucial to survive in film industry: Neelam Upadhyaya IANS
Chennai, May 22 (IANS) Despite an unsuccessful Telugu debut, southern actress Neelam Upadhyaya managed to find a strong foothold in the industry. She credits luck for her success and says it is vital to survive in the competitive industry.
- Brazil's Embraer to sell 40 jets to US airline IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 22 (IANS/EFE) Brazilian aircraft manufacturer Embraer said Tuesday it reached a deal to sell 40 E175 passenger jets to US airline SkyWest for nearly $1.7 billion.
- Rajamouli not acting in 'Bahubali' IANS
Chennai, May 22 (IANS) Ace Telugu filmmaker S.S. Rajamouli has rubbished rumours that he is acting in his upcoming directorial venture "Bahubali", a period-drama.
- Michael Douglas fights back tears at Cannes IANS
Cannes (France), May 22 (IANS/EFE) Michael Douglas wept here Tuesday as he recounted how director Steven Soderbergh waited for the Oscar-winning actor to recover from throat cancer so he could star as flamboyant pianist Liberace in "Behind the Candelabra".
- Sonakshi Sinha to endorse hair oil brand IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) "Dabangg" fame actress Sonakshi Sinha is the new face of Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil. She says oiling her hair with the product helps her battle the styling aids and chemicals she has to use on her tresses as part of her profession.
- Sanjay Dutt shifted to Pune's Yerwada Jail IANS
Mumbai, May 22 (IANS) Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt was early Wednesday quietly shifted from Arthur Road jail to Pune's high-security Yerwada Central Jail, officials said.
- Fashion students get to show off work at Madrid museum IANS
Madrid, May 22 (IANS/EFE) Design and fine arts students from Spain's Universidad Francisco opened a show Tuesday at Madrid's Museo del Traje that showcases their talents.
- Seven members of family killed in Ghaziabad IANS
Ghaziabad, May 22 (IANS) A businessman and six members of his family, including his three grandchildren, were found killed in their house in a densely populated locality here Wednesday, police said.
- Indian film festival to be held in Seoul IANS
Seoul, May 22 (IANS) An Indian film festival, where hugely popular Bollywood movies like "Lage Raho Munnabhai" will be screened, is to be held here to commemorate the 40th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations between India and South Korea.
- Mexican firm to acquire US wireless operator IANS
Mexico City, May 22 (IANS/EFE) Mexican telecommunications giant America Movil says it has agreed to buy US mobile operator Start Wireless Group for an undisclosed amount.
- Pall of gloom sets in at Sreesanth's Kerala home IANS
Kochi, May 22 (IANS) A pall of gloom has set in at the house of S. Sreesanth here with his parents preferring to stay out of public glare following the cricketer's arrest for alleged spot fixing in Indian Premier League (IPL) matches.
- Li Keqiang reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
- Modi charts out road map for 2014 elections Hindustan Times
- SC calls for change in Air Force Act Hindustan Times
- Pushed to breaking point again Hindustan Times
- Taking stock of stalking Hindustan Times
- UPA banks on reforms for 2014 polls Hindustan Times
- If leaders are on same page, success follows Hindustan Times
- West Bengal not top investment priority, says US ambassador Hindustan Times
- Phaneesh Murthy in sex scandal again, sacked Hindustan Times
- Power cuts make hottest day worse Hindustan Times
- Li reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
- Police get ministry rap over vacancies, patrol vehicles Hindustan Times
- Students throng DU session with queries Hindustan Times
- Trial by fire for 2014 in Maharajganj by-election Hindustan Times
- BCCI falls back on tried and tested Sawani Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Seven members of family killed in Ghaziabad59 minutes ago
- Centre extends RTI e-filing facility to MHA, Agriculture Ministry1 hour 6 minutes ago
- Pall of gloom sets in at Sreesanth's Kerala home1 hour 15 minutes ago
- North Korea sends top Kim Jong-un aide to Beijing1 hour 35 minutes ago
- All about Potatoes: 1 ingredient, 5 recipes38 minutes ago
- Galaxy S3 to get S4's features via Android 4.2.2 update1 hour 37 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- Simple sensory exercises at home effective among autistic kids1 hour 6 minutes ago
- Iodine deficiency during pregnancy may lead to lower IQ among kids 1 hour 41 minutes ago
- CA considering social media policy after Warner Twitter rant 39 minutes ago
- Pak all-rounder Hafeez says playing against India 'always special'1 hour 6 minutes ago
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from int'l cricket1 hour 6 minutes ago