By Warren Strobel WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saddled with Middle East problems ranging from Iran to Syria and beyond, President Barack Obama now faces one that is both old and new: Iraq. Unresolved sectarian tensions, inflamed by the raging civil war in neighbouring Syria, have combined to send violence in Iraq to its highest level since Obama withdrew the last U.S. troops in December 2011, U.S. officials and Middle East analysts say. A Sunni Muslim insurgency against the Shi'ite-led Baghdad government has also been reawakened. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- Nitish's caste design: Is JD(U) preparing for a possible split with BJP? Hindustan Times
India, May 25 -- The friend-turned-foe has turned again. He is a friend now.The fast-changing equation between Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar and the estranged More »
- Mumbai stutter past Rajasthan to book IPL final berth IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Notwithstanding a blistering Dwayne Smith knock, Mumbai Indians stuttered to a four-wicket victory over Rajasthan Royals in a nail-biting More »
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children Reuters
Seventeen Pakistani children burnt to death on Saturday when a gas cylinder on the bus taking them to school exploded, media said. Ten children were injured in the More »
- BCCI president Srinivasan should resign: NCP leader ANI
Describing cricket as an important and popular game, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) spokesman D.Tripathi on Friday called for the resignation of Board of Control More »
- U.S. hints at renewed Iranian sanctions waiver for India Reuters
India has made "tremendous progress" in reducing oil imports from Iran, a senior U.S. government official said on Friday, in a sign the South Asian nation is likely More »
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's plea IANS
The Delhi High Court Friday reserved its verdict on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's plea challenging a trial court order to frame charges against him in a 1984 More »
- Brazil's Santos decide to let Neymar go Reuters
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's Neymar is on the verge of choosing one of two offers from un-named clubs, reported to be Spanish suitors Barcelona and Real Madrid, after Santos agreed on Friday to transfer him. Santos said they had ended a three-year fight to keep the 21-year-old, Brazil's big hope for next year's World Cup finals, and agreed to a transfer, giving him the right to choose which offer to accept, though a decision was not imminent. ...
- Pakistan school bus explosion and blaze kill 17 children - media Reuters
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Seventeen Pakistani children burnt to death on Saturday when a gas cylinder on the bus taking them to school exploded, media said. Ten children were injured in the blaze on the outskirts of Gujrat, 100 miles (170 km) southeast of Islamabad, DawnNews said. Many vehicles in energy-starved Pakistan are powered by relatively cheap compressed natural gas and cylinder blasts are common. (Reporting by Nick Macfie; Editing by Ron Popeski)
- Rich country investors return home for stable cash income Reuters
By Natsuko Waki LONDON (Reuters) - The world's biggest investors may be rethinking 20 years of boosting overseas holdings and are instead seeking more stable cash income at home, as aging societies and tighter regulation dull risk appetite. This heralds a structural shift toward investments that produce long-term income in advanced economies, home to two thirds of the money held by insurers and pension funds - some $55 trillion. ...
- AirAsia India launch seen in Q4; may order 50 more jets Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - AirAsia, which smashed order records for Airbus jets to become Asia's largest budget carrier, could buy another 50 planes as it targets aggressive expansion in India, Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said. Discussion of an order for another 50 A320-family jets, worth $5 billion at list prices, comes weeks ahead of the Paris air show and five months after the Malaysian carrier added 100 jets to its order book to lift total purchases to 475 planes. ...
- Travel Picks: Top 10 golf resorts around the world Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - If your idea of a nature hike involves driving an elusive ball over acres of meticulously manicured greens, then bookmark this list of premier putting destinations created with golf enthusiasts in mind, hand-picked by the boutique hotel experts Mr & Mrs Smith (www.mrandmrssmith.com). Fore! Reuters has not endorsed this list: 1. Primland; Virginia, USA Pristine Primland hotel in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains is an elegant estate surrounded by 12,000 verdant acres. ...
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit Reuters
By Tim Gaynor and David Schwartz PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona lawman Joe Arpaio violated the constitutional rights of Latino drivers in his crackdown on illegal immigration, a federal judge found on Friday, and ordered him to stop using race as a factor in law enforcement decisions. The ruling against the Maricopa County sheriff came in response to a class-action lawsuit brought by Hispanic drivers that tested whether police can target illegal immigrants without racially profiling U.S. citizens and legal residents of Hispanic origin. U.S. ...
- Chinese premier criticises EU move on trade measures Reuters
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Chinese Premier Li Keqiang criticised the European Union over its plans to investigate alleged anti-competitive behaviour by Chinese mobile telecom equipment makers and to impose punitive import duties on solar panels from China, state media reported. The official Xinhua news agency reported late on Friday that Li had told business leaders in Switzerland such measures would "harm others without benefiting oneself". Li is the most senior Chinese official to comment on the troublesome issue so far. ...
- Syria opposition unity talks face spectre of collapse Reuters
By Khaled Yacoub Oweis ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Syrian opposition talks aimed at presenting a coherent front at an international peace conference to end the civil war faced the prospect of collapse after President Bashar al-Assad's foes failed to cut an internal deal, opposition sources said on Friday. ...
- Penguin exhibit at Florida's SeaWorld will get 10 tons of snow daily Reuters
By Barbara Liston ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - SeaWorld Orlando opened its "Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins" on Friday, a new attraction that will be coated with 10 tons of fresh snow each day. To recreate a cold, dry climate suitable for penguins in hot, humid Florida, designers used airtight doors, humidifiers and air purifiers, SeaWorld said. Icicles and glittering ice crystals were created out of hand-blown Pyrex and glass. ...
- Niko finds significant gas in India block; shares soar Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian oil and natural gas producer Niko Resources Ltd said on Friday it made a significant gas discovery, along with its partners, in the KG-D6 block off India's east coast, sending its shares up 26 percent. Niko, which partners India's Reliance Industries Ltd and BP Plc , said the discovery is expected to add to the gas resources in the block, without revealing potential reserves. "It is a significant discovery in the sense that out of a half-inch choke you have got 2,000 barrels a day and over 30 million cubic feet a day of gas flowing ... ...
- French, Niger troops kill Islamists holding out at Niger base Reuters
By Abdoulaye Massalatchi NIAMEY (Reuters) - French special forces and Niger troops shot dead on Friday the last two Islamists involved in a twin attack on a military base and a French uranium mine in Niger claimed by the mastermind of January's mass hostage-taking in Algeria. Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a one-eyed veteran of al Qaeda's North African operations, said in a statement that his Mulathameen brigade organised Thursday's raids with the MUJWA militant group in retaliation for Niger's role in a French-led war on Islamists in Mali. ...
- NSE to implement transaction tax cut as of June 1 Reuters
Reuters Market Eye - The National Stock Exchange will reduce the securities transaction tax (STT) on equity futures to 0.01 percent from 0.017 percent from June 1, NSE said in a statement. Purchases of a unit in an equity-oriented fund will not attract any STT compared to 0.1 percent earlier, while sale of such units would have STT of 0.001 percent versus 0.1 percent previously, the NSE said. These changes in the STT were included in the budget unveiled for 2012/13 that has subsequently been passed by parliament. (Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- England Under-21 winger Townsend charged in betting probe Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - England Under-21 winger Andros Townsend has withdrawn from the squad for June's European Championship in Israel after being charged by the FA with alleged betting offences. "The FA has announced it has charged Andros Townsend in relation to alleged breaches of its rules governing misconduct and betting," an FA statement said on Friday. "The Tottenham Hotspur player has been charged with breaches of Rule E8 (b) in relation to a number of betting offences." Players in England are not allowed to bet on competitions they take part in or have an influence over. ...
- Zanardi hopes to make Indy 500 dreams a reality Reuters
By Steve Keating INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Alex Zanardi's dream of racing in the Indianapolis 500 continues to burn and team owner Chip Ganassi said on Friday that he has a car for his former champion whenever he is ready. But for the 46-year-old Zanardi, age, and not the fact that he is a double-amputee, is catching up with the two-time CART drivers champion who made an emotional appearance at the famed Brickyard for a reunion with Ganassi and his former team. ...
- Car sharing with strangers a growing business in US IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS/EFE) The sight of a hitchhiker on the curb trying to hail some charitable driver could be a thing of the past as the practice of car sharing grows.
- 'Film editor's job starts in pre-production phase' IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) A film editor is no longer part of just the post-production team. In fact, the work begins from a movie's pre-production phase itself, says southern editor T.S Suresh.
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has asked Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to address them urgently.
- Political storm in Himachal averted IANS
Shimla, May 25 (IANS) Ahead of the Mandi parliamentary by-election in Himachal Pradesh, a political crisis sparked by the purported resignation of a Congress minister who was miffed with Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh withered away in less than 24 hours.
- Dravid to retire from IPL? IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals skipper Rahul Dravid has indicated that he will retire from the Indian Premier League, after the Champions League T20 later this year.
- Spanish art gets privileged space in New York museum IANS
New York, May 25 (IANS/EFE) New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art has reopened its European paintings galleries after a two-year renovation, giving a privileged space to Spanish masters Velazquez, El Greco and Goya.
- 15 Pakistani kids die in cylinder blast IANS
Islamabad, May 25 (IANS) At least 15 children were killed in a school van gas cylinder blast that took place Saturday in Pakistan's Punjab province, a media report said.
- Dravid hopes spot fixing truth will be revealed IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals skipper Rahul Dravid hopes that investigators "get to the bottom of the mess and reveal the truth" about spot fixing.
- `Liqour ban on Goa beaches will save Russian lives' IANS
Panaji, May 25 (IANS) Goa has received a pat on the back from Russian Ambassador Alexander M. Kadakin for banning consumption of hard liquor on the state's beaches. He said it will "help save" Russian lives.
- Gurunath spends night in lock-up, to be produced in court IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) After spending a night in the crime branch lock-up, Gurunath Meiyappan, son-in-law of BCCI chief N. Srinivasan is likely to be produced before a magistrate for remand here Saturday afternoon, police sources said.
- 'India's growth strategy has lessons for developing nations' IANS
Washington, May 25 (IANS) India's strategy of eradicating poverty by "growing the pie rather than slicing it", and fuelling the country's growth with market-based policies holds lessons for other developing countries, suggest two leading Indian-American economists.
- South Asians rely on informal money transfers: Gallup IANS
Washington, May 25 (IANS) Nearly six in ten adults in the South Asian region and Indonesia sent or received a payment or remittance in 2012 with a majority doing so informally, according to a new Gallup study.
- Woman, daughter jump off moving truck in UP, die IANS
Lucknow, May 25 (IANS) A mother and her three-year-old daughter were killed in Uttar Pradesh late Friday after they jumped off a speeding truck while resisting a sexual assault by the driver, police said Saturday.
- Russia plans four spacecraft launches in 2014 IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia's Energia Rocket and Space Corporation will make four launches next year from the Pacific Ocean-based Odyssey platform under the Sea Launch programme, an official said.
- Whose cat is beautiful: Chechen leader vs TV celebrity IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov entered into a bizarre public row with a Russian socialite over whose cat was the "most beautiful".
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- CM announces more buses for DTC fleet Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Review: Faith and Freedom, Gandhi in History Hindustan Times
- Family doubts police's theory Hindustan Times
- Modi not there, but the big bash goes on Hindustan Times
- Rashid Irani's review: Fast And Furious 6 Hindustan Times
- Odisha sizzles with season's highest temperature of 47.5 degree Hindustan Times
- Cong leader remains in jail, Trinamool leader gets bail Hindustan Times
- Review: A life apart, an autobiography Hindustan Times
- Veil of secrecy on CSK abode Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Political storm in Himachal averted 24 minutes ago
- Dravid hopes spot fixing truth will be revealed56 minutes ago
- Gurunath spends night in lock-up, to be produced in court1 hour 8 minutes ago
- Heart failure ups risk of male menopause 4 fold48 minutes ago
- Inked women 'more approachable but have looser morals'1 hour 12 minutes ago