By Jane Chung SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea fired a short-range missile from its east coast on Sunday, a day after launching three of these missiles, a South Korean news agency said, ignoring calls for restraint from Western powers. Launches by the North of short-range missiles are not uncommon but, after recent warnings from the communist state of impending nuclear war, such actions have raised concerns about the region's security. ...
Yahoo! News India
- Sarabjit death probe: Pakistani official may visit India IANS
A one-man inquiry tribunal comprising Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi of Lahore High Court may visit India to complete the judicial inquiry into the death of More »
- UP: 42 cops booked for alleged murder of terror suspect Ani
42 Uttar Pradesh policemen, including some top officers, were booked on Sunday for the alleged murder of Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the serial blasts in the More »
- Rahul Gandhi criticises opposition for 'stalling' Food Bill ANI
Congress Vice President Rahul has criticised the opposition parties for stalling the Food Security Bill in Parliament, and asserted the UPA government was More »
- Saudi woman creates history by reaching Mount Everest summit ANI
A Saudi woman has become the first female from the country and the youngest Arab to reach the summit of Mount Everest - the world's highest mountain. More »
- Nadal to meet Federer in Rome final, Serena rolls on Reuters
Roger Federer will meet great rival Rafa Nadal in the Italian Open final after the Swiss held off a spirited challenge by unseeded Frenchman Benoit Paire on More »
- Kayani 'throws weight' behind Nawaz Sharif ahead of govt. transition ANI
Pakistan Army Chief, General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani has met Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president and expected prime minister for the next parliamentary More »
- Development alone is the solutions to problems faced by India, claims Modi ANI
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has said that development in all spheres is the sole key and formula of solutions to the problems faced by India. More »
- Two Andhra ministers charged in Jagan case may quit IANS
Two cabinet ministers in Andhra Pradesh charged in the Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy's disproportionate assets case are likely to resign following orders from the Congress More »
- Afghanistan's Karzai seeks Indian military aid amid tensions with Pakistan Reuters
By Hamid Shalizi KABUL (Reuters) - Afghan President Hamid Karzai plans to discuss potential arms deals with Indian officials during a trip to New Delhi this week, officials said, at a time when tensions are running high on Afghanistan's disputed border with Pakistan. Kabul's overtures to New Delhi are likely to rile Islamabad where a new government led by two-time prime minister Nawaz Sharif is set to take office soon, promising improved ties with India. ...
- Australia's Griffin wins weather-hit event in South Korea Reuters
REUTERS - Australian Matthew Griffin won the SK Telecom Open at South Korea's Jeju Island by one shot after Sunday's final round was called off due to heavy fog. A 40-foot putt from the back of the green on the 18th guaranteed him the third-round lead on Saturday and it turned out to be the winning shot at the 1 billion Korean won OneAsia event at the Pinx Golf Club. "It's unfortunate to finish like this, but I'll take it," Griffin, who leapt to the top of the OneAsia Order of Merit with the win, said. ...
- Bankia compensation qualms signal loss of faith in Spain's banks Reuters
By Sonya Dowsett MADRID (Reuters) - Many duped savers at Spanish lender Bankia are shunning a state-supervised compensation scheme in favour of expensive lawsuits, prolonging a mis-selling scandal and complicating efforts to restore faith in the banking system. The disputes over mis-selling at Bankia and other nationalised banks have created a major headache for the government as it tries to take the next step in their rescue, imposing large losses on holders of junior debt. ...
- Indian cinema on a mission at Cannes to dispel Bollywood image Reuters
By Belinda Goldsmith CANNES (Reuters) - Indian movie actors and a new wave of directors are on a mission at the Cannes film festival - to show that their industry, which turns 100 this year, is more than just Bollywood. The largest Indian contingent to date is on the French Riviera at the world's leading cinema showcase to promote their country, which has the world's biggest film industry, making over 1,000 films a year compared to about 600 in Hollywood. ...
- Netanyahu takes aim at weapons "leakage" in Syria Reuters
By Jeffrey Heller JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held out the prospect on Sunday of further Israeli strikes inside Syria, pledging to act to prevent advanced weapons from reaching Hezbollah and other militant groups. Although Israel has not publicly taken sides in the civil war between Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and rebels trying to topple him, Western and Israeli sources say it has launched air strikes in Syria to destroy weapons it believed were destined for Lebanon's Hezbollah. ...
- Independent Scotland open to Cyprus-style bank risks, says Britain Reuters
By William James LONDON (Reuters) - An independent Scotland would have a vastly oversized financial sector that would leave it vulnerable to a Cyprus-style banking crisis, Britain's finance ministry says. Before a referendum due in September 2014 on whether Scotland should split from the United Kingdom, the British government is analysing the impact of independence on Scotland, which has a population of about 5 million. ...
- U.N. chief Ban says worried over N.Korea missile launch Reuters
MOSCOW (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday over North Korea's launch of short-range missiles, urging Pyonyang to refrain from further launches and return to stalled nuclear talks with world powers. Ban, who spoke to Russian state news agency RIA Novosti during a visit to Moscow, called North Korea's launch of three short-range missiles from its east coast on Saturday a "provocative action". "We are very worried over North Korea's provocative action," he told RIA in comments translated into Russian. ...
- Iran hangs two spies working for Israel and U.S. - report Reuters
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iranian authorities executed two men on Sunday convicted of working for Israeli and U.S. spy agencies, Iran's Fars news agency reported. Mohammad Heidari, accused of passing security-related information and secrets to Israeli Mossad agents in exchange for money, and Kourosh Ahmadi, accused of gathering information for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, were hanged at dawn, it said. The sentence for their execution was handed down by Tehran's Revolutionary Court and confirmed by the country's Supreme Court. ...
- Upmarket Pakistan district votes again as Imran Khan decries killing Reuters
By Katharine Houreld and Syed Raza Hassan ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - An upmarket constituency of Pakistan's violence-plagued city of Karachi voted again under tight security on Sunday, a day after gunmen killed a senior politician from a reformist party in the district and a week after general elections. It was not immediately clear who killed Zara Shahid Hussain, a leading member of the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaf (PTI) party of former cricket star Imran Khan. Imran blamed the killing on the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) party, which has a stranglehold on the city. ...
- Training push fails to halt U.S. military sexual assault crisis Reuters
By Tabassum Zakaria and David Alexander WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Under pressure to fight sexual assault, the U.S. armed forces in recent years rolled out education programs about proper sexual conduct through methods like role playing and video games. The increase in education has nevertheless failed to prevent what the nation's top general called last week "a crisis" after the Pentagon reported a 37 percent jump in the estimated number of sexual assault cases in 2012. ...
- Qatar Holding, Italy fund eying Versace - paper Reuters
MILAN (Reuters) - Qatar Holding and an Italian state-controlled investment fund are interested in investing in Italian fashion house Versace, Il Sole 24 Ore said on Saturday. The Qatar sovereign fund is "carefully looking at" Versace, the Italian daily said, citing financial sources. The paper cited market rumours as saying the fund was flanked by FSI, the Italian strategic investment fund owned by state financing company Cassa Depositi e Prestiti. In November, Qatar Holding signed a joint venture agreement with FSI to invest in Italian companies in sectors including food, fashion and luxury. ...
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida Reuters
By Karen Brooks and Steve Gorman REUTERS - A single winning ticket for a record U.S. Powerball lottery jackpot worth $590.5 million was sold in Florida, organizers said late on Saturday, but there was no immediate word about who won or where in the state the ticket was bought. The winning numbers from Saturday night's drawing were: 10, 13, 14, 22 and 52, with a Powerball number of 11, and the odds of winning were put at one in 175 million. The grand prize, accumulated after two months of drawings, surpassed the previous record Powerball payoff of $587. ...
- All eyes on Vodafone's Colao for signs on Verizon Reuters
By Kate Holton LONDON (Reuters) - After months of speculation, Vodafone's Vittorio Colao will be under pressure next week to set out whether he may sell its prized stake in Verizon Wireless in what would be one of the biggest deals ever. Chief executive for five years, Colao has said only that he has an "open mind" on Vodafone's 45-percent stake in the U.S. operator, whose majority owner, Verizon Communications , is interested in buying out the British company's share. ...
- Warner to face disciplinary hearing over Twitter rant Reuters
REUTERS - Australia opening batsman David Warner will face a disciplinary hearing for his Twitter outburst against two senior Australian cricket journalists, the country's cricket board said on Sunday. The flamboyant left-handed batsman criticised News Limited journalists Robert Craddock and Malcolm Conn in an expletive-filled tirade, which grabbed headlines in Australia. The 26-year-old has been charged with breaking the code of behaviour which pertains to "unbecoming behaviour, regarding comments posted on his Twitter account," Cricket Australia said in a statement. ...
- Kirani James outpaces rivals to win in Shanghai IANS
Shanghai, May 19 (IANS/CMC) World and Olympic champion Kirani James powered to victory against his main rivals from London 2012 Olympics in the 400 metres at Shanghai's Diamond League meet.
- John Lennon's guitar sells for $408,000 IANS
London, May 19 (IANS) A custom-made guitar played by John Lennon and George Harrison has sold for $408,000 at an auction.
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014 IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Corruption scandals past and present have cast long shadows on the Manmohan Singh-led UPA government that completes four years of its second term May 22, amid a big question mark on whether it will be back for a third time.
- Why would I want to do my mother's film remake, asks Soha IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) She isn't in filmdom for either fame or money, rather Soha Ali Khan wants to do good work and also clarifies that doing a remake of her mother's film is not on her wish-list.
- 4G to debut in Shanghai next month IANS
Beijing, May 19 (IANS) 4G services, which provide mobile users with internet access up to 50 times faster than the current 3G network, will be launched in Shanghai next month when the China Mobile company begins large-scale trials.
- Juventus confirm Tevez talks IANS
Rome, May 19 (IANS) Juventus general manager Beppe Marotta confirmed that the Italian Serie A champions are in contact with Carlos Tevez in an attempt to sign the Argentine striker.
- Isinbayeva to continue as Youth Olympics ambassador IANS
Lausanne, May 19 (IANS) The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Sunday announced that two-time Olympic champion Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia will be an official ambassador of the 2014 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in Nanjing, China.
- Isinbayeva wins comeback meet in Shanghai IANS
Shanghai, May 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayeva won her first competition of the season by jumping 4.70 metres at the Diamond League meeting here.
- Russian dies in Vietnam after fight with compatriot IANS
Moscow, May 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian tourist died in Vietnam after a fight with a compatriot and fellow-traveller in the coastal city of Nha Trang.
- Four prisoners flee Russian jail IANS
Moscow, May 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Four inmates jailed for murder and burglary have escaped from a prison in Russia by digging a 20-metre-long tunnel, investigators said.
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Daredevils IANS
Pune, May 19 (IANS) Pune Warriors India opted to bat first in their Indian Premier League clash against Delhi Daredevils at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium here Sunday.
- I don't have any limitations as an actor: Pooja Gupta IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) Actress Pooja Gupta, who is gearing up for her next film "Shortcut Romeo", says as an actress she doesn't have any limitations.
- Saradha boss, aide sent to police custody in new case IANS
Kolkata, May 19 (IANS) A West Bengal court Sunday sent Saradha Group promoter Sudipta Sen and a close aide to 10 days' police custody in a new case against them.
- Closer ties between China, India to strengthen BRICS IANS
Only weeks after Chinese President Xi Jinping had a much-publicized meeting with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Durban on the sidelines of a BRICS summit, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang reached New Delhi Sunday on the first leg of his maiden tour abroad.
- Chinese man jailed for raping, killing woman IANS
Beijing, May 19 (IANS) A Chinese man has been sentenced to life in prison for raping and killing a woman 15 years ago.
- MP: youth molests girl, accused's father sets her ablaze Hindustan Times
- Gurgaon: Constable accused of rape Hindustan Times
- Cricket betting reveals its pan-India presence Hindustan Times
- Chandila went expensive shopping with the bookie Hindustan Times
- Rape-accused doc flees while on way to police station Hindustan Times
- Moveable feasts Hindustan Times
- NCP legislator booked for assault in bank faces arrest Hindustan Times
- Hidden, in plain sight Hindustan Times
- Police seek footage from the official broadcast channel Hindustan Times
- Question their interest in this time of conflict Hindustan Times
- Rape survivor comes to terms, awaits another surgery Hindustan Times
- Developers axe old tree, NMC residents protest Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014 35 minutes ago
- Severe heat wave conditions prevail across India 38 minutes ago
- Shikaras in Kashmir to promote culture and tourism38 minutes ago
- Netanyahu takes aim at weapons "leakage" in Syria1 hour 24 minutes ago
- Saradha boss, aide sent to police custody in new case55 minutes ago
- Indian cinema on a mission at Cannes to dispel Bollywood image1 hour 10 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- OZ school under fire for holding mini models contest1 hour 40 minutes ago
- Vitamin D supplements could combat Crohn's disease2 hours 36 minutes ago
- Cannes prostitutes can make 'up to $40K a night'2 hours 36 minutes ago
- Cricket: England v New Zealand 1st Test scoreboard6 minutes ago