By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British counter-terrorism police on Saturday arrested three people suspected of involvement in the killing of a soldier hacked to death in a London street by two men shouting Islamist slogans. The killing of the soldier in what the government said appeared to be a terrorist attack has led to angry protests against radical Islam and fears of a possible anti-Muslim backlash. Michael Adebolajo, 28 and Michael Adebowale, 22, are under armed guard in hospital after being shot and arrested by police on suspicion of murder on Wednesday. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested a man under anti-terrorism laws at BBC headquarters after an interviewee said security services tried More »
- Cong defeat, not prime-ministership, is Modi's aim: Rajnath Hindustan Times
A new axis between Narendra Modi and BJP president Rajnath Singh - since Gujarat CM's elevation to the party's parliamentary board - has more to do with battle More »
- Inform us of security cover for panchayat polls, Congress urges SEC IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Concerned over security issues during the upcoming panchayat elections in West Bengal, the Congress Saturday said it has urged the State More »
- India Cements not to be impacted financially if CSK booted out of IPL IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) India Cements may not be majorly impacted if its Indian Premier League (IPL) team, Chennai Super Kings' licence is revoked in the wake of the More »
- Formidable Chennai stand in Mumbai's way of maiden IPL crown IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Amid the intriguing but dark saga of the unfolding spot fixing and betting scam, two-time champions Chennai Super Kings take on traditional More »
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh More »
- Swedish capital returning to normal after week of violence Reuters
By Mia Shanley and Simon Johnson STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden's capital was relatively calm on Saturday night with only isolated incidents of violence by youths after nearly a week of car-burnings and vandalism that have highlighted growing inequality in Swedish society. Police had brought in reinforcements from around the country to stem the rioting and were out in force in the poorer suburbs of Stockholm that have seen the worst incidents. "It is pretty calm," police spokesman Lars Bystrom said. "It isn't worse than a normal night. ...
- Cannes film festival draws to a close with cliffhanger ending Reuters
By Belinda Goldsmith CANNES (Reuters) - The 2013 Cannes festival wraps up with a cliffhanger ending on Sunday, with uncertainty surrounding which film will be declared best picture after a 12-day frenzy of premieres, celebrities, rain and dramatic jewellery thefts. Twenty films packed with sex, violence and emotional anguish are vying at the world's biggest cinema showcase for the Palme d'Or, one of the most coveted film awards after the Oscars. ...
- Scandal engulfs Indian cricket; web of players, bookies faces scrutiny Reuters
By Amlan Chakraborty and Sudipto Ganguly NEW DELHI (Reuters) - It wasn't a typical photo opportunity for cricketer Shanthakumaran Sreesanth as he stood outside a New Delhi court in a pair of faded jeans and a dark blue full-sleeve tee-shirt. Flanked by two policemen and his face covered with a black cloth, one of the most recognisable sportsmen in India kept his head bowed as newspaper photographers clicked away. ...
- Bayern's Heynckes makes record books after retirement Reuters
By Karolos Grohmann LONDON (Reuters) - Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes's career looked over a few years ago but the 68-year-old veteran capped a third spell at the Bavarians on Saturday by becoming only the fourth manager to win the European Cup with two different teams. Heynckes joined Ernst Happel, Ottmar Hitzfeld and Jose Mourinho with two Champions League trophies from two clubs after Bayern beat German rivals Borussia Dortmund 2-1 to add to his 1998 European crown with Real Madrid. ...
- Bayern triumph has origins in bitter 2012 defeat Reuters
By Karolos Grohmann LONDON (Reuters) - Bayern Munich's shock 2012 Champions League defeat in Munich was a dark chapter in the club's history but it sowed the seeds for their fifth European triumph at Wembley stadium on Saturday. Bayern grabbed a dramatic 2-1 victory over Borussia Dortmund with an 89th-minute winner from Dutchman Arjen Robben to clinch their first European Cup since 2001 after losing both the 2010 and 2012 finals. ...
- Robben infuriates, bemuses, misses goals and wins match Reuters
By Brian Homewood LONDON (Reuters) - Arjen Robben's Champions League final was a microcosm of his career as the Bayern Munich winger perplexed opponents, left team mates waiting in vain for passes, infuriated fans and produced two match-winning moments. As usual, the Dutchman stubbornly refused to contemplate using his right foot in a man-of-the-match performance. Throughout his career with PSV Eindhoven, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern and the Netherlands, Robben has been an exasperating enigma. ...
- Ribery and Robben combine to give Bayern victory Reuters
By Mike Collett LONDON (Reuters) - A brilliant Franco-Dutch move involving Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben in the final minutes settled a memorable all-German Champions League final as Bayern Munich beat Borussia Dortmund 2-1 at Wembley on Saturday. Frenchman Ribery's backheel allowed Dutchman Robben to break through a gap in the Dortmund defence and dance round goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller to score the 89th minute winner. The goal sent Bayern's fans into raptures as their team became European champions for the fifth time to match Liverpool's haul of titles. ...
- Rosberg on pole in Mercedes Monaco sweep Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Germany's Nico Rosberg scorched to his third successive Formula One pole position with team mate Lewis Hamilton completing a front row lockout for Mercedes at the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday. The pole was the fourth in a row for Mercedes, whose qualifying form has faded in the races this season, and second successive sweep of the top-two places. Red Bull's triple world champion Sebastian Vettel qualified third, on a drying track after a damp session, with Australian team mate and last year's winner Mark Webber lining up alongside. ...
- Bomb in Yemeni military vehicle kills two and injures six Reuters
ADEN (Reuters) - A remotely-detonated bomb planted in a military vehicle killed a soldier and a civilian and injured six other soldiers in the Hadramaut region of eastern Yemen on Saturday evening, a local security official said. The explosion took place in the town of al-Shehr as the vehicle drove along a main road, the official said. He added Islamist militants were suspected of the bombing. Islamist militants seized control of swathes of south and east Yemen during the political chaos of the Arab Spring in 2011. ...
- Mercedes discussing engine deal with Williams Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Mercedes are talking to Williams about a Formula One engine supply from 2014, the German company's motorsport head Toto Wolff said on Saturday. Mercedes are already contracted to supply their own works outfit, Force India and McLaren next year but the latter team have announced they will be reviving their partnership with Honda in 2015. ...
- Raikkonen allowed to race with Hunt tribute Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Formula One title contender Kimi Raikkonen has been cleared to race with a tribute on his helmet to late champion James Hunt after the lettering was initially deemed to contravene television regulations. The party-loving Lotus driver, second in the championship at present, is a big fan of Britain's 1976 champion and once entered a snowmobile race under Hunt's name. He has also paid tribute to him in the past with Monaco helmets. This year's had the words 'James Hunt' on the top, positioned to face the camera behind. ...
- PGA leader Canizares back after meningitis scare Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Spain's Alejandro Canizares is hoping to pull off a remarkable victory at the PGA Championship, three and a half weeks after being diagnosed with viral meningitis. The 30-year-old admitted it was "scary" when he became ill on a flight from the Ballantine's Championship in South Korea to the China Open at the start of the month. "I started getting headaches, didn't attach too much importance to it, but the next day I woke up with the biggest headache I've had in my life," Canizares told Reuters in an interview on Saturday. ...
- Root lifts England with maiden test century Reuters
By Justin Palmer LEEDS (Reuters) - Joe Root hit a maiden test century on his home ground at Headingley and county colleague Jonny Bairstow chipped in with 64 to leave England on top at 337 for seven in the second test against New Zealand on Saturday. Root, in his sixth test, punched the air and gleefully hugged fellow Yorkshireman Bairstow after steering Doug Bracewell to the third-man boundary to bring up his hundred. Batting with ease and showing exemplary footwork and timing, Root and Bairstow made New Zealand's attack toil in a fifth-wicket stand of 124 on an extended second day. ...
- Egypt court rejects religious slogans in election law Reuters
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's highest court ruled on Saturday that parts of a revised election law setting out terms for a parliamentary vote were unconstitutional, casting fresh doubt over a poll that has already been delayed. The Islamist-dominated upper house of parliament had approved the law last month and sent it to the Supreme Constitutional Court to check the legality of the voting procedures for a new lower house. Opposition politicians had denounced the text of the revised election law approved by parliament and repeated threats to boycott the vote. ...
- Boston bomber's slain affiliate not an Islamist, says widow IANS
Washington, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Ibragim Todashev, an affiliate of slain Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was himself killed by US security personnel, was an aspiring athlete who took no interests in politics or radical Islam, his widow said.
- Russian military orders six Be-200 amphibious planes IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian defence ministry has signed a contract with the Beriev Aircraft Company for the purchase of six Beriev Be-200 amphibious planes.
- Tajikistan blocks YouTube without official explanation IANS
Dushanbe, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Tajikistan has blocked YouTube for the third time in less than a year without an official explanation, a representative of the country's internet industry said.
- 'Married to Jonas' is therapy for Kevin Jonas IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actor-musician Kevin Jonas says his reality TV show "Married to Jonas" is like therapy for him because it allows him and his co-star wife Danielle Deleasa to review their points of view after a fight.
- Russian police apologises for beating activists IANS
St. Petersburg, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) In a rare display of public humility, the head of police in Russia's St. Petersburg city publicly apologised to motorist rights activists after they were allegedly beaten up by policemen.
- Chris Rock auctions role for charity IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actor Chris Rock is auctioning a role in his next movie to raise money for the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation.
- Cameron Diaz looking for new man? IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actress Cameron Diaz is following veteran actress Jane Fonda's advice these days, and brushing up her intellectual abilities to find a Mr.Right for herself.
- Eight-year jail term sought for bomb-maker in Indonesia IANS
Jakarta, May 26 (IANS/AKI) Prosecutors in Indonesia have asked a court for an eight-year prison sentence for alleged bomb-maker Muhammad Thoriq.
- There's space sex in 'Gravity', jokes Sandra Bullock IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actress Sandra Bullock has joked how her upcoming thriller film "Gravity" has a lot of "space sex", which is slower than real life.
- US Air Force launches telecom satellite IANS
Washington, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Delta IV rocket has successfully launched a Wideband Global SATCOM 5 satellite of the US Air Force from Cape Canaveral.
- Female suicide bomber attacks police in Russia's Dagestan IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A female suicide bomber in Russia's turbulent region of Dagestan blew herself up, killing one and injuring at least 14 others, including police officers, officials said.
- Dozens held at Moscow gay pride rally IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Several dozens of LGBT activists and their "opponents" were detained in the Russian capital Saturday during a string of gay pride events, Moscow police said.
- Heather Graham displays yoga skills IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) "Hangover Part III" actress Heather Graham showed off her yoga skills at a talk show.
- One Direction to donate 200,000 pounds for charity IANS
London, May 26 (IANS) One Direction band members have announced that they will support a charity organisation, Stand Up To Cancer by donating 200,000 pounds from ticket sales of their 2014 stadium tour.
- Maoists kill 16 in attack on Congress rally in Chhattisgarh IANS
Raipur/New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) An over 100-strong group of Maoists Saturday attacked a Congress party convoy, carrying out a landmine blast and then opening fire, resulting in the death of 16 people, including two senior Congress leaders and injuries to 25 others.
- Maluka whipped up scam for science kits too Hindustan Times
- Well begun, hardly done Hindustan Times
- 'Cyber command coming up in armed forces' Hindustan Times
- Aspiring techie associates hope with elections Hindustan Times
- Virdhi leads race for top railway post Hindustan Times
- 22-year-old man drowns in ghaziabad swimming pool Hindustan Times
- Read labels, make judicious sunscreen choices Hindustan Times
- Board's governing council members' inaction questioned Hindustan Times
- Don't think things will ever be the same: Dravid Hindustan Times
- 200 domestic helps verified, residents applaud initiative Hindustan Times
- The power of charm Hindustan Times
- Haryana school board to give copy of answer sheets to candidates Hindustan Times
- No Indian choppers, guns for Karzai Hindustan Times
- City students win accolades for community service Hindustan Times
- Pesky calls: TRAI for snapping Net, phone links Hindustan Times