By Tim Bross ST. LOUIS (Reuters) - Two freight trains collided at a rail intersection in rural Missouri on Saturday, triggering the collapse of a highway overpass when at least a dozen rail cars derailed and struck a support pillar, authorities said. None of the seven people hurt in the fiery crash - two train workers and five occupants of two cars on the overpass - suffered life-threatening injuries, Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter said in a statement. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Spot fixing: Srinivasan says he can't be bulldozed to resign IANS
"I have no intention to resign," Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president N. Srinivasan said here Saturday after his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was More »
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested a man under anti-terrorism laws at BBC headquarters after an interviewee said security services tried More »
- Cong defeat, not prime-ministership, is Modi's aim: Rajnath Hindustan Times
A new axis between Narendra Modi and BJP president Rajnath Singh - since Gujarat CM's elevation to the party's parliamentary board - has more to do with battle More »
- Inform us of security cover for panchayat polls, Congress urges SEC IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Concerned over security issues during the upcoming panchayat elections in West Bengal, the Congress Saturday said it has urged the State More »
- India Cements not to be impacted financially if CSK booted out of IPL IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) India Cements may not be majorly impacted if its Indian Premier League (IPL) team, Chennai Super Kings' licence is revoked in the wake of the More »
- Formidable Chennai stand in Mumbai's way of maiden IPL crown IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Amid the intriguing but dark saga of the unfolding spot fixing and betting scam, two-time champions Chennai Super Kings take on traditional More »
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh More »
- Tyson Gay wins Diamond League sprint in New York Reuters
By Julian Linden NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former world champion Tyson Gay, free from injury for one of the few times in recent years, blitzed his rivals on Saturday to win the 100 metres at the Adidas Grand Prix. Kenya's Olympic champion David Rudisha also outclassed his opponents to easily win the 800m at the New York leg of the Diamond League series. Croatia's Blanka Vlasic, competing for the first time since 2011, won the women's high jump while veteran Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown showed a clean pair of heels to win the women's 200m dash. ...
- Root comes of age for England in familiar surroundings Reuters
By Justin Palmer LEEDS (Reuters) - Proud sons of Yorkshire have served England well with the bat in 136 years of test cricket and Headingley rose as one on Saturday to acclaim a new home-grown hero in centurion Joe Root. The likes of Herbert Sutcliffe, Leonard Hutton, Geoffrey Boycott and Michael Vaughan have batted with distinction for England. Sutcliffe and Hutton's run-scoring feats have never been forgotten by proud Yorkshire folk despite fading in the mists of time since they made hay in the first half of the 20th century. ...
- Klopp looks on bright side despite Dante let-off Reuters
By Mark Meadows LONDON (Reuters) - Borussia Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp is such a bouncy character that not even a Champions League final defeat can really get him down, but the decision not to send off Bayern Munich defender Dante in Saturday's 2-1 defeat did rankle. Dante was already on a yellow card when he kneed the impressive Marco Reus in the chest to concede an obvious penalty but Italian referee Nicola Rizzoli did not reach for his pocket. ...
- Bayern's Heynckes hints at Lewandowski transfer Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski could soon join German rivals and newly-crowned Champions League winners Bayern Munich, Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes hinted on Saturday. Dortmund top-scorer Lewandowski, who notched 12 goals in the Champions League this season, has already said he will not extend his contract that runs to 2014 with reports linking him with a move to Bayern. "We all know that (Mario) Goetze has already been signed and that Lewandowski will not have to wait too much longer. ...
- Rogers joins Los Angeles Galaxy Reuters
REUTERS - Former U.S. soccer international Robbie Rogers has joined Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy, the team said on Saturday, making him the latest openly gay male athlete in an American professional team sport. Rogers, who came out in February on the same day he retired from the game, will be on the Galaxy's roster for Sunday's home match against the Seattle Sounders if his international transfer certificate arrives in time. ...
- Kuchar takes one-shot lead into final round at Colonial Reuters
REUTERS - American Matt Kuchar put the finishing touches on his impressive rain-hit second round on Saturday and then maintained a one-shot lead after the third round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. Kuchar, who clinched his fifth PGA Tour title at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship in February, made three pars in the early hours at Colonial Country Club to complete a five-under 65 second round before a third-round 69 left him with an 11-under total of 199. ...
- Kenny Perry stalks Senior PGA Championship title Reuters
REUTERS - American Kenny Perry is one round away from claiming his first major championship after taking a two-shot lead after the third round of the Senior PGA Championship in St. Louis on Saturday. Perry fired a three-under 68 at Bellerive Golf Club to move to 10-under 203 for the tournament, two clear of fellow American Jay Haas (67) who is in second at eight-under. Russ Cochran (71) holds outright third at seven-under with Canadian Rod Spittle (67) fourth at six-under. Australian Peter Senior (69) and Japan's Kohki Idoki (68) remain in the mix in a tie for fifth at five-under. ...
- Froch beats Kessler to retain IBF super middleweight title Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Carl Froch got his revenge with victory over Denmark's Mikkel Kessler in a unanimous points decision to retain the IBF super middleweight title in a thrilling clash at a packed 02 Arena on Saturday. The 35-year-old Froch, who lost to Kessler in Denmark three years ago, put on a typically gutsy performance to win with a scorecard that read 115-113, 116-112 and 118-110 in favour of the Nottingham fighter to the delight of the 20,000 crowd. ...
- Revellers brave cold to fight AIDS at Vienna ball Reuters
VIENNA (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton, singer Elton John and actor Hilary Swank joined thousands of costumed revellers on Saturday at Europe's biggest AIDS charity event, Vienna's Life Ball. Dressed in skimpy costumes for the ball's 1,001 Nights theme, or simply in extravagant drag, party-goers braved unseasonally chilly temperatures of 8 degrees Celsius (46 degrees Fahrenheit) for the outdoor party. ...
- Bitter election creates long-term headache for Malaysia's Najib Reuters
By Niluksi Koswanage KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia's divisive election has left a bitter taste for millions of people that risks creating a long-term problem of legitimacy for Prime Minister Najib Razak's long-ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition. The outrage was clear at a busy intersection across from one of Kuala Lumpur's fanciest shopping malls, where a huge poster of Najib and his deputy had been defaced -- a rare display of public disrespect in the Southeast Asian nation. ...
- Cambodian documentary wins Cannes prize for innovative cinema Reuters
By Belinda Goldsmith CANNES (Reuters) - A documentary using small clay figures to tell the story of how Cambodian filmmaker Rithy Panh's family perished under the Khmer Rouge regime won the top prize in the second most important competition at the Cannes film festival on Saturday. "L'Image Manquante" (The Missing Picture) was among the 18 films that premiered in the Un Certain Regard category that was set up to encourage emerging and innovative filmmakers and run alongside the main competition at the world's top film festival. ...
- Syrian opposition struggles for unity as battle rages Reuters
By Khaled Yacoub Oweis ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Syria's opposition resumed talks on Saturday aimed at closing their fractious ranks, as government forces launched a fierce onslaught on a rebel-held border town to try to gain the upper hand in the civil war. A failure of the opposition to unite could weaken the hand of Russia and the United States, co-sponsors of a proposed peace conference on the war, which has killed 80,000 and threatens to spill over borders and whip up wider sectarian violence. The U.S. ...
- British police arrest three over soldier's killing Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British counter-terrorism police on Saturday arrested three people suspected of involvement in the killing of a soldier hacked to death in a London street by two men shouting Islamist slogans. The killing of the soldier in what the government said appeared to be a terrorist attack has led to angry protests against radical Islam and fears of a possible anti-Muslim backlash. Michael Adebolajo, 28 and Michael Adebowale, 22, are under armed guard in hospital after being shot and arrested by police on suspicion of murder on Wednesday. ...
- Swedish capital returning to normal after week of violence Reuters
By Mia Shanley and Simon Johnson STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden's capital was relatively calm on Saturday night with only isolated incidents of violence by youths after nearly a week of car-burnings and vandalism that have highlighted growing inequality in Swedish society. Police had brought in reinforcements from around the country to stem the rioting and were out in force in the poorer suburbs of Stockholm that have seen the worst incidents. "It is pretty calm," police spokesman Lars Bystrom said. "It isn't worse than a normal night. ...
- Old museum in Britain displays master drawings IANS
Oxford, May 26 (IANS) The Ashmolean Museum, one of the world's oldest public museums, has launched an exhibition of master drawings to mark its founding in 1683.
- Turkmen capital enters Guinness World Records IANS
Ashgabat, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Turkmen capital of Ashgabat has entered the Guinness World Records for the highest number of white marble buildings in the city.
- Missiles not meteorites on US-Russia agenda IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US plans to collaborate with Russia on missile issues and Afghanistan, but not planetary defence from space threats, a US diplomat said.
- Man held in Italy for abusing wife for 20 years IANS
Rome, May 26 (IANS/AKI) A 58-year-old man from Frosinone town near Rome was arrested after his wife reported him to police for more than two decades of domestic violence.
- Boston bomber's slain affiliate not an Islamist, says widow IANS
Washington, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Ibragim Todashev, an affiliate of slain Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was himself killed by US security personnel, was an aspiring athlete who took no interests in politics or radical Islam, his widow said.
- Russian military orders six Be-200 amphibious planes IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian defence ministry has signed a contract with the Beriev Aircraft Company for the purchase of six Beriev Be-200 amphibious planes.
- Tajikistan blocks YouTube without official explanation IANS
Dushanbe, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Tajikistan has blocked YouTube for the third time in less than a year without an official explanation, a representative of the country's internet industry said.
- 'Married to Jonas' is therapy for Kevin Jonas IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actor-musician Kevin Jonas says his reality TV show "Married to Jonas" is like therapy for him because it allows him and his co-star wife Danielle Deleasa to review their points of view after a fight.
- Russian police apologises for beating activists IANS
St. Petersburg, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) In a rare display of public humility, the head of police in Russia's St. Petersburg city publicly apologised to motorist rights activists after they were allegedly beaten up by policemen.
- Chris Rock auctions role for charity IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actor Chris Rock is auctioning a role in his next movie to raise money for the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation.
- Cameron Diaz looking for new man? IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actress Cameron Diaz is following veteran actress Jane Fonda's advice these days, and brushing up her intellectual abilities to find a Mr.Right for herself.
- Eight-year jail term sought for bomb-maker in Indonesia IANS
Jakarta, May 26 (IANS/AKI) Prosecutors in Indonesia have asked a court for an eight-year prison sentence for alleged bomb-maker Muhammad Thoriq.
- There's space sex in 'Gravity', jokes Sandra Bullock IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (IANS) Actress Sandra Bullock has joked how her upcoming thriller film "Gravity" has a lot of "space sex", which is slower than real life.
- US Air Force launches telecom satellite IANS
Washington, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Delta IV rocket has successfully launched a Wideband Global SATCOM 5 satellite of the US Air Force from Cape Canaveral.
- Female suicide bomber attacks police in Russia's Dagestan IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A female suicide bomber in Russia's turbulent region of Dagestan blew herself up, killing one and injuring at least 14 others, including police officers, officials said.
- Maluka whipped up scam for science kits too Hindustan Times
- Well begun, hardly done Hindustan Times
- 'Cyber command coming up in armed forces' Hindustan Times
- Aspiring techie associates hope with elections Hindustan Times
- Virdhi leads race for top railway post Hindustan Times
- 22-year-old man drowns in ghaziabad swimming pool Hindustan Times
- Read labels, make judicious sunscreen choices Hindustan Times
- Board's governing council members' inaction questioned Hindustan Times
- Abducted Chhattisgarh PCC chief Nand K Patel killed by Maoists Hindustan Times
- The power of charm Hindustan Times
- 200 domestic helps verified, residents applaud initiative Hindustan Times
- Don't think things will ever be the same: Dravid Hindustan Times
- Haryana school board to give copy of answer sheets to candidates Hindustan Times
- No Indian choppers, guns for Karzai Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- At least five killed as Guinea protests escalate1 minute 53 seconds ago
- Syrian opposition struggles for unity as battle rages1 hour 18 minutes ago