By Subhadip Sircar MUMBAI (Reuters) - The rupee recovered from a more than 8-1/2 month low hit earlier on Thursday, as exporters took advantage of a spike in the dollar to sell the greenback and on fears the central bank would intervene to stabilise the local currency. The rupee still posted a fifth day of falls to mark its longest losing streak in over three months as worries about a potential pullback in the U.S. monetary stimulus programme and a weak manufacturing survey in China sparked a shift sway from riskier currencies. Any pullback on U.S. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Spot-fixing: Police to quiz BCCI chief's son-in-law Hindustan Times
The Mumbai Police on Thursday reached Chennai to question Chennai Super Kings 'principal' Gurunath Meiyappan, the son-in-law of team owner and Indian cricket board More »
- PIL challenges Shashi Kant Sharma's appointment as CAG ANI
A public interest litigation (PIL) has been filed in the Supreme Court challenging the appointment of new Comptroller and Auditor General and former defence More »
- Australia looks into allowing Sikhs to wear turban at work IANS
Sydney, May 23 (IANS) Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has said that she would look into the issue of allowing Sikhs in her country to wear the turban while More »
- 'Invisible forces' trying to stall Kerala's progress: Minister IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 23 (IANS) Kerala Industries and Information Technology Minister P.K. Kunhalikutty Thursday said some invisible forces were trying to stall More »
- Malaysia police arrest opposition figures in crackdown Reuters
By Siva Sithraputhran KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysian police arrested several opposition politicians and activists on Thursday, launching a crackdown on dissent More »
- Stringent law shields UP hospitals, staff from vandalism IANS
Lucknow, May 23 (IANS) People who vandalise medical facilities or thrash hospital doctors in Uttar Pradesh can now be arrested by police faster, without a More »
- Japanese octogenarian becomes oldest to reach Everest summit Reuters
An 80-year-old Japanese mountain climber who has had four heart surgeries reached the top of Mount Everest on Thursday becoming the oldest person to conquer the More »
- Saudi Arabia confirms another death from SARS-like virus Reuters
DUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia has announced another death from the SARS-like novel coronavirus (nCoV) in its central al-Qassim region, bringing the total number of deaths in the kingdom to 17. A non-Saudi, whose nationality and age were not given, died on Tuesday, the Health Ministry said on its website late on Wednesday. It said he had been admitted to a hospital in al-Qassim several days ago with an "acute respiratory syndrome". "Most cases recorded so far are among elderly patients and people with multiple chronic diseases," it added. ...
- Subbarao went against panel suggestion on rate cut Reuters
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Reserve Bank of India Governor Duvvuri Subbarao went against the suggestion of a majority of external members of the central bank's monetary policy committee that recommended no change in repo rate at the annual monetary policy statement 2013/14 on May 3. The RBI cut the key policy repo rate for a third straight time in 2013 to 7.25 percent on May 3, pulling it to a two-year low, in a bid to revive slow growth and taking into account benign inflation reading. ...
- Court to decide on Sterlite smelter case by end-May Reuters
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - A court will resume a hearing on Monday into complaints of emissions from India's biggest copper smelter plant, shut since end-March, but will take a decision before May 31, a judge said on Thursday. Imports have doubled and cable makers face a severe shortage of copper since authorities shut the plant, which meets half of India's demand and exports nearly 50 percent of its 30,000 tonnes of output to China, on complaints of emissions by local residents. ...
- At least 18 soldiers, four Islamists killed in Niger - sources Reuters
NIAMEY (Reuters) - At least 18 soldiers and four suspected Islamists were killed in a fierce gunbattle following a dawn car bomb attack at a barracks in the northern Niger town of Agadez, military sources and a local official said. "There are 18 soldiers and four attackers dead in Agadez," said one source. "One of the attackers has taken two or three soldiers hostage and is holed up in a house. We have him surrounded." (Reporting by Abdoulaye Massalatchi in Niamey and David Lewis in Bamako; Writing by Daniel Flynn; Editing by Andrew Roche)
- Switching from scandals, Obama to address drones and Guantanamo Reuters
- Wockhardt says FDA alert affects potential sales of $100 million Reuters
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Drug maker Wockhardt Ltd said up to $100 million in annualised revenue could be lost as a result of a U.S. Food and Drug Administration "import alert" on one of its plants, but said it should be able to restore most of that within 6 to 9 months by shifting production elsewhere. "That is a worst-case scenario," Wockhardt Chairman Habil Khorakiwala said, referring to the $100 million, in a conference call with reporters. Wockhardt shares fell 20 percent on Thursday to their lowest level in more than seven months after the U.S. ...
- Top Chinese leader urges N.Korea envoy to work toward denuclearisation Reuters
BEIJING (Reuters) - Liu Yunshan, the Chinese Communist Party's fifth-ranked leader, told a North Korean envoy on Thursday that China hopes all parties would work toward denuclearisation and called on all sides to restart talks on North Korea as soon as possible, state television reported. Liu, who is also the propaganda tsar, also told Choe Ryong-hae, a "special envoy" of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un that China is committed to its relationship with North Korea and that peace and stability on the Korean peninsula is in the interests of all sides. ...
- Interview: Olazabal urges Woods and Garcia to settle row Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Former European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal drew on the memory of his 2003 spat with Padraig Harrington as he urged fellow Spaniard Sergio Garcia and Tiger Woods to settle their differences. Garcia and 14-times major winner Woods have always had a frosty relationship and the Spaniard had to issue an apology on Wednesday after making a "fried chicken" jibe at the world number one at the European Tour's Player of the Year dinner the previous day. ...
- Hands soaked in blood, London knifeman declares his creed on video Reuters
By Peter Griffiths and Estelle Shirbon LONDON (Reuters) - A young man with bloodied hands holds a knife and a meat cleaver soaked in blood as he faces the camera to say he has just killed a soldier on a London street in retaliation for the deaths of Muslims killed by British troops in faraway lands. As the man speaks, a woman in a blue skirt pulls a shopping cart down the pavement towards him, glances briefly in the direction of a corpse lying in the road, and walks right past the man, apparently oblivious to the bloody weapons in his hand. ...
- Sensex loses 388 points, Nifty ends below 6,000 on Fed, China concerns Reuters
By Abhishek Vishnoi MUMBAI (Reuters) - The Nifty posted its biggest percentage fall in a year on Thursday, as the prospect of an end to the U.S. stimulus programme and a weak China manufacturing survey sparked concerns foreign investors would end their recent buying spree. The Sensex fell 388 points. The biggest concerns focused on Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke's comments suggesting bond purchases could be scaled back if the U.S. economy improves, with falls magnified after State Bank of India slumped after disappointing quarterly earnings. A potential early wind-down of the U.S. ...
- London attacker was British-born of Nigerian descent - source Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - One of the attackers who hacked a soldier to death in London was British-born and of Nigerian descent, a source with knowledge of the investigation said. The other man may also be British with a Nigerian background, the source told Reuters. British media identified one of the men as Michael Adebolajo, citing police sources. (Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge)
- London attacker British, of Nigerian origin - source Reuters
By Guy Faulconbridge and Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - British authorities have established that one and possibly both of the men who hacked a soldier to death on a London street was born in Britain of Nigerian descent, a source with knowledge of the investigation said on Thursday. Local media named the man who was definitely born in the country as 28-year-old Michael Adebolajo and said police raided the home of his Nigerian family in a village near the eastern English city of Lincoln. Both men appeared to have converted to Islam from Christian immigrant backgrounds, British media said. ...
- State Bank of India Q4 profit falls, shares drop Reuters
REUTERS - State Bank of India, the country's largest lender, posted its first quarterly net profit drop in two years, missing market estimates after being dragged down by lower interest income and higher provisions for loan losses. The state-run bank posted net profit of 32.99 billion rupees in the January-March quarter, compared with 40.50 billion rupees in the same period a year ago. Net interest income, the difference between interest earned and interest expended, fell 4.4 percent to 110.8 billion rupees. Analysts, on average, had expected net profit of 37. ...
- Milan ultras want Allegri to stay as coach Reuters
REUTERS - AC Milan's influential ultras want Massimiliano Allegri to remain as coach amid widespread speculation that club president Silvio Berlusconi plans to fire him. The Curva Sud (South Curve) fan group issued a statement praising Allegri for his handling of a young squad last season, when Milan recovered from a poor start to finish third in Serie A and qualify for next season's Champions League playoff. "Today, we find ourselves with a project which has only just started and which will soon be dismantled by presidential choice," said the statement on the group's website ...
- Manipur, Mizoram governments to honour Everesters IANS
Imphal/Aizawl, May 23 (IANS) The governments of Manipur and Mizoram will felicitate the members of the first Northeast India Top of the World Mount Everest Expedition, 2013, who recently scaled the highest peak of the world, officials said Thursday.
- Golfer Sharmila set for Deloitte Ladies Open IANS
Amsterdam, May 23 (IANS) Indian golfer Sharmila Nicollet is raring to go at the Deloitte Ladies Open after her recent success at the Turkish Airlines Ladies Open at Antalya, where she finished tied 17th.
- Experiment with nail art, piercing IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Experts say summer is a good time for nail care, so how about adding some jazz to them with stylish tattoos, nail art or nail piercing this season?
- Rajeev Shukla defends BCCI chief IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) IPL chairman and union minister Rajeev Shukla Thursday came out in defence of BCCI president N. Srinivasan, saying there is no need for him to step down.
- Dravid hints at retirement from domestic T20 IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals skipper Rahul Dravid hinted at retiring from the Indian Premier League (IPL) after this season.
- China to support Pakistan for stability, development: Li IANS
Islamabad, May 23 (IANS) The Chinese government will unswervingly stick to its friendly policy toward Pakistan and support the South Asian nation in realising stability and better development, visiting Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said here Thursday.
- Ex-Malaysian Indian lawyer, three others get death IANS
Singapore, May 23 (IANS) A former Malaysian Indian lawyer and three others were sentenced to death Thursday in the high profile murders of a Malaysian businesswoman and three others in 2010.
- London attack victim was a serving soldier IANS
London, May 23 (IANS) British police confirmed Thursday the man killed in Southeast London was a "serving soldier".
- Sunrisers can be proud of their effort: White IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Sunrisers Hyderabad came up short against Rajasthan Royals in the Eliminator here but their inaugural Indian Premier League campaign was a successful one, their captain Cameron White has said.
- Londoner of Nigerian descent suspect in terror attack IANS
London, May 23 (IANS) Michael Adebolajo, a 28-year-old Londoner of Nigerian descent, is one of the two suspects who hacked to death a British soldier in London, a media report said Thursday.
- Indian-origin man's death in custody classified as murder IANS
Singapore, May 23 (IANS) The death of a 32-year-old Indian-origin man while in police custody in Malaysia has now been classified as a murder.
- Dealing with spot-fixing has been tough: Dravid IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals skipper Rahul Dravid said that dealing with the spot-fixing allegations surrounding his team in the Indian Premier League (IPL) has been one of the toughest phases of his illustrious career.
- Don't forget fitness on holiday! IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Health is wealth, and that doesn't change even when you're on a holiday. Experts suggest eating healthy and being conscious that about one hour of exercise a day can help you stay in shape even while you have fun.
- My fans are my report card: Ranbir Kapoor IANS
Mumbai, May 23 (IANS) For Bollywood heartthrob Ranbir Kapoor, appreciation by his fans is like a barometer of his success.
- Bihar to spend Rs.17 crore on 200 police dogs IANS
Patna, May 23 (IANS) Bihar has decided to buy 200 canines of various breeds at an estimated cost of Rs.17 crore in order to raise 50 more dog squad units to help police in their investigations, officials said Thursday.
- Insensitive remark makes UP home secy lose his post Hindustan Times
- Now,terrorism haunts SP Hindustan Times
- Fewer allies, quiet rejoicing mark UPA's dinner party Hindustan Times
- 'Jack' the bettor sings Bollywood tune to police Hindustan Times
- With Cong support, ray of hope for PPP Hindustan Times
- Math no longer a must for DU Commerce Hons Hindustan Times
- Stop kids below 13 from opening FB accounts, HC tells centre Hindustan Times
- Quest for spirituality Hindustan Times
- BJP split over PM candidate, Sushma seeks talks with allies Hindustan Times
- Meritorious students in MP may miss good engg seats Hindustan Times
- Bollywood's tryst with betting Hindustan Times
- A T20 match both teams fiercely fought to lose Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Prisoner dies in Andhra jail8 minutes ago
- Tribals in Niyamgiri demonstrate against Bauxite mining 12 minutes ago
- Italian envoy terms visit to Amritsar as successful13 minutes ago
- Interview: Olazabal urges Woods and Garcia to settle row30 minutes ago
- Milan ultras want Allegri to stay as coach53 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- First edition of Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone fetches 150,000 pounds1 hour 9 minutes ago
- Do women get two types of orgasms?1 hour 25 minutes ago
- Food-inspired clothing like butcher briefs, meat socks could soon be reality1 hour 25 minutes ago
- IPL spot fixing: Mumbai Police issues summons to CSK boss Gurunath Meiyappan 1 hour 9 minutes ago
- 'Retiring' Kirsten hopes to 'go out with a bang' with Proteas' Champions Trophy win1 hour 25 minutes ago