By Iain Rogers MADRID (Reuters) - Barcelona's victory over bitter rivals Real Madrid in the race to sign Brazil forward Neymar will increase the pressure on Real president Florentino Perez to come up with a similarly high-profile acquisition. The 21-year-old Neymar, seen as one of the brightest prospects in soccer, announced on Saturday he had picked Barca over Real and would be leaving Santos to sign a five-year deal with the Catalan club. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Modi calls for zero tolerance policy toward Naxalism ANI
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has termed the naxal attack on Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh as gruesome, and said that the government needed to adopt a More »
- Rahul reaches Raipur, proceeds straight to meet the injured Hindustan Times
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi landed at Chhattisgarh capital Raipur at around 1.15am by special aircraft and has proceeded straight to a private nursing home More »
- Naxal attack: Manmohan Singh, Sonia reach Raipur to assess situation ANI
Following Saturday's tragic and dastardly attack on Congress leaders and activists by Maoists in Chhattisgarh, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Congress More »
- Naxal attack: Injured Shukla airlifted to Gurgaon's Medanta hospital ANI
Senior Congress leader V.C.Shukla, who was injured after heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of party leaders in Chhattisgarh's Bastar district, was on Sunday More »
- Belaguered BCCI chief attends Dalmiya dinner in Kolkata IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) BCCI president N. Srinivasan, facing uncomfortable questions over his son-in-law's arrest in the spot fixing scam, attended a dinner thrown More »
- Spot fixing: Srinivasan says he can't be bulldozed to resign IANS
"I have no intention to resign," Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president N. Srinivasan said here Saturday after his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was More »
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested a man under anti-terrorism laws at BBC headquarters after an interviewee said security services tried More »
- Munich parties as Dortmund mourns in divided Germany Reuters
By Erik Kirschbaum BERLIN (Reuters) - Bayern Munich fans celebrated long into the night after their team's 2-1 Champions League triumph over Dortmund at Wembley on Saturday ensured two defeats in the previous three finals were quickly forgotten. More than 40,000 Bayern fans erupted in delirious joy when Arjen Robben scored the 89th minute winner as they watched the match on a chilly, wet night at a special public viewing event set up on Munich's Oktoberfest grounds. ...
- Suspected Maoist rebels kill 19 in Congress convoy ambush Reuters
By Devidutta Tripathy NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Suspected Maoist rebels killed at least 19 people in Chhattisgarh when they ambushed a convoy carrying regional leaders from the ruling Congress party in dense forest on Saturday, officials said, one of the deadliest such attacks in recent years. The rebels felled trees to block the 20-car convoy and then detonated a landmine and raked the vehicles with gunfire, Indian media reported. Among those killed was Mahendra Karma, a senior Congress leader from Chhattisgarh who founded an anti-Maoist group and was believed to be the main target of the attack. ...
- INSIGHT - In West Bank shadows, repressed Hamas breathes on Reuters
By Noah Browning and Ali Sawafta DURA, West Bank (Reuters) - In his sparse village home adorned only with framed verses from the Quran, Mohammed Ghannam opens his shirt, pointing silently to his bruised chest. Ghannam, 44, whose job was to deliver the call to prayer in Dura's local mosque, said plainclothes security forces from the Palestinian Authority (PA) detained him last month for belonging to the Islamist movement Hamas and beat him mute. "They didn't ask me any questions, just punched me hard in the face and the chest," he wrote limply on a notepad. ...
- Nigeria's "war on terror" wins tentative support Reuters
By Joe Brock MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Nuradin Mohammed used to resent and fear the troops who swept past his fish stall in this northeast Nigerian city on the trail of Islamist insurgents Boko Haram. Now, for the first time, he thinks they may be on his side. "We are pleased the president has finally recognised our peril and we pray his plan works," Mohammed said, frying fish by the roadside as a crowd of young children looked on hungrily and trucks packed with troops rumbled past. ...
- Magnitude 6 earthquake strikes Uzbekistan - USGS Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - An earthquake with a magnitude of at least 6 struck southeast Uzbekistan on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage. (Reporting by Tom Pfeiffer)
- Frontier Markets booming but risks mounting Reuters
By Manuela Badawy NEW YORK (Reuters) - With the world's biggest central banks driving yields on safe assets to near zero, some investors are tossing caution to the wind and rushing to buy illiquid and previously overlooked bonds sold by countries with no capital markets track record. Even the biggest investors acknowledge that "frontier markets" like Vietnam and Romania aren't for the faint of heart because nobody knows whether these new debt market players will be able to make good on their obligations. ...
- Pipeline explosion halts gas supplies to southern China - Xinhua Reuters
BEIJING (Reuters) - A section of a cross-country gas pipeline in China exploded on Sunday, injuring at least two people and halting gas supplies, local media said. The second west-east natural gas pipeline, which transports gas from central Asia to south China, exploded in an industrial zone in China's southeastern province of Jiangxi, state news agency Xinhua said. The pipeline has a capacity to transport 30 billion cubic metres of gas a year. Energy released from the explosion knocked over people hundreds of metres away, Xinhua said, without detailing the length of the exploded pipeline. ...
- Arab spring nations face delayed economic recovery - IMF Reuters
- NBA - Spurs one game away from Finals after huge comeback win Reuters
REUTERS - The San Antonio Spurs are just one win away from the NBA Finals after coming back from an 18-point deficit to beat the Memphis Grizzlies 104-93 in overtime in Memphis on Saturday. The Spurs lead the best-of-seven Western Conference Finals 3-0 after the victory and can sweep into the title series for the first time since 2007 with another win on Monday. The Grizzlies led 29-11 late in the first quarter but were worn down across the rest of the game, with the Spurs taking their first lead in the fourth quarter. ...
- Kerry presses Egypt on economic reform, says aid depends on it Reuters
By Arshad Mohammed ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urged Egypt to act swiftly on economic reforms to secure a $4.8 billion International Monetary Fund loan, saying the measures were needed to get further aid from the U.S. Congress, an American official said. Kerry met Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi for about an hour on the sidelines of an African Union summit on Saturday, discussing Syria's civil war, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, human rights in Egypt and the country's faltering economy, the official said. ...
- Will immigration reform get killed in Republican-led U.S. House? Reuters
By Thomas Ferraro WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The biggest overhaul of U.S. immigration laws in a generation won bipartisan approval from a powerful U.S. Senate committee last week, but there is a strong chance that Republicans in the House of Representatives will end up killing it. The problem: House Republicans are far from convinced by arguments from party leaders that passage of the bill would help Republicans draw support from Hispanic voters. Many also believe any kind of amnesty for the estimated 11 million immigrants who are in the United States illegally is just plain wrong. ...
- Girl power no longer a novelty at Indy 500 Reuters
By Steve Keating INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - While Formula One flirts with the idea of a female driver, girl power is already as much a part of the Indianapolis 500 as turbo-charged engines and the winner chugging cold milk in Victory Lane. Swiss Simona de Silvestro, Brazilian Ana Beatriz and Britons Pippa Mann and Katherine Legge represent the four women who will take the command to start their engines alongside 29 men at the famed Brickyard for Sunday's race. ...
- Root lifts England with maiden test century Reuters
By Justin Palmer LEEDS (Reuters) - Joe Root hit a maiden test century on his home ground at Headingley and county colleague Jonny Bairstow chipped in with 64 to leave England on top at 337 for seven in the second test against New Zealand on Saturday. Root, in his sixth test, punched the air and gleefully hugged fellow Yorkshireman Bairstow after steering Doug Bracewell to the third-man boundary to bring up his hundred. "It was a fantastic moment. I lost it a bit... ...
- At least five killed as Guinea protests escalate Reuters
CONAKRY (Reuters) - At least five people were killed on Saturday when security forces in Guinea opened fire on protesters in opposition strongholds in the capital, medical sources and witnesses said. The violence brings to 11 the number of people killed since Thursday in unrest that began over election preparations but has frequently degenerated into looting and clashes between ethnic groups. "According to our information, they (the five) all died after being shot," said Thierno Maadjou Sow, president of the OGDH human rights group. ...
- 300 kg drugs seized in China IANS
Beijing, May 26 (IANS) Nearly 300 kg of drugs have been seized in China's Hubei province and 12 suspects detained during the latest police crackdown on people making and selling them.
- PM and Sonia meet injured in Raipur hospital IANS
Raipur, May 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi arrived in Raipur Sunday morning and visited those injured in Saturday's Maoist ambush in the Darba Ghati valley, in southern Chhattisgarh's restive Bastar region.
- Indian conglomerate to sponsor West Indies cricket IANS
St. John's (Antigua), May 26 (IANS/CMC) Indian conglomerate Confident Group has agreed to sponsor the West Indies cricket team for the ICC Champions Trophy in the United Kingdom next month and ICC World Twenty20 2014 in Bangladesh, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has announced.
- Maoists have attacked our democratic values: Sonia Gandhi IANS
Raipur, May 26 (IANS) Calling it a "cowardly act" on the part of Maoists, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi Sunday said the strike was not an attack on the Congress or its leaders, but an attack on democratic values.
- Marlon Samuels eager to make a mark at Champions Trophy IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados), May 26 (IANS/CMC) Resurgent batsman Marlon Samuels says he is unfazed by the responsibility of having to shoulder the brunt of the West Indies batting over the last year.
- Former PM Jamali joins Nawaz Sharif's party IANS
Islamabad, May 26 (IANS) Pakistan's former prime minister Mir Zafrullah Jamali has joined the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Geo News reported.
- Jamaican sprinters steal spotlight in New York meet IANS
New York, May 26 (IANS/CMC) Jamaican sprinters stole the spotlight in the athletic events at the Adidas Grand Prix, New York Diamond League meet at Icahn Stadium.
- PM, Sonia to pay tributes to Nand Kumar Patel IANS
Raipur, May 26 (IANS) The bodies of slain leader of opposition in the Chhattisgarh assembly Nand Kumar Patel and his son Dinesh Patel, who were among those killed by Maoist insurgents in a bloody attack Saturday, were brought to Raipur.
- BCCI suspends Meiyappan, promises cops help in probe IANS
Kolkata, May 26 (IANS) The Indian cricket board Sunday suspended Chennai Super Kings' Chief Executive Officer Gurunath Meiyappan, who is now under arrest for his alleged involvement in the spot fixing scandal in the Indian Premier League (IPL), and promised cooperation in the investigations.
- Neymar agrees to five-year deal with Barcelona IANS
Sao Paulo, May 26 (IANS) Brazil's football star Neymar has agreed to a five-year contract with Spanish giants Barcelona and will join the club during this summer's European transfer window.
- Sana Khan not required for current schedule of 'Mental' IANS
Mumbai, May 26 (IANS) Actress Sana Khan is reportedly in hiding after getting embroiled in a controversy surrounding an alleged kidnapping of a 15-year-old girl, but her absence won't affect the shooting of Salman Khan starrer "Mental".
- Mahi Racing's Sofuoglu to start second at Donington Park IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Mahi Racing Team lead rider and reigning world champion Kenan Sofuoglu will start the fifth leg of the World Supersport championship in second position at Donington Park, England Sunday.
- Deepti Naval documentary on Balraj Sahni hits roadblock IANS
Mumbai, May 26 (IANS) Films about Indian cinema's legendary personalities are still a rarity. And one of those rare attempts is being made by Deepti Naval - she is keenly interested in making a non-fictional film on the life and times of that amazingly naturalistic actor Balraj Sahni, but facing certain problems.
- A Swedish varsity with over 100 Indian research tie-ups IANS
Stockholm, May 26 (IANS) Sweden's Karolinska Institutet (KI), one of the world's leading medical universities, is undertaking research-collaboration work with over 100 educational institutions and research institutes in India, with a professor saying it was of "indescribable interest".
- Arshad off to Goa for 'Mr Joe B Carvalho' IANS
Mumbai, May 26 (IANS) What is actor Arshad Warsi excited about? Shooting last schedule of his upcoming movie "Mr Joe B Carvalho" in Goa.
- Board's governing council members' inaction questioned Hindustan Times
- Abducted Chhattisgarh PCC chief Nand K Patel killed by Maoists Hindustan Times
- Maluka whipped up scam for science kits too Hindustan Times
- Well begun, hardly done Hindustan Times
- 'Cyber command coming up in armed forces' Hindustan Times
- Aspiring techie associates hope with elections Hindustan Times
- Virdhi leads race for top railway post Hindustan Times
- 22-year-old man drowns in ghaziabad swimming pool Hindustan Times
- Read labels, make judicious sunscreen choices Hindustan Times
- Say no to tobacco, with a Bollywood concert Hindustan Times
- Pesky calls: TRAI for snapping Net, phone links Hindustan Times
- City students win accolades for community service Hindustan Times
- No Indian choppers, guns for Karzai Hindustan Times
- Haryana school board to give copy of answer sheets to candidates Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- PM, Sonia to pay tributes to Nand Kumar Patel37 minutes ago
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi meet victims of Chhattisgarh Maoist attack1 hour 28 minutes ago
- Magnitude 6 earthquake strikes Uzbekistan - USGS2 hours 59 minutes ago
- Frontier Markets booming but risks mounting3 hours ago
- Barca's Neymar capture turns pressure on Real president22 minutes ago
- Bookies suspend bets on Becks being knighted43 minutes ago
- Munich parties as Dortmund mourns in divided Germany50 minutes ago
- Sasheh Agha: people believe that I am a hot-n-happening babeSat 25 May, 2013
- Happy Birthday Karan Johar!Sat 25 May, 2013
- Zindagi 50-50 Movie ReviewSat 25 May, 2013
- How to win at dating game14 minutes ago