MILAN (Reuters) - Qatar Holding and an Italian state-controlled investment fund are interested in investing in Italian fashion house Versace, Il Sole 24 Ore said on Saturday. The Qatar sovereign fund is "carefully looking at" Versace, the Italian daily said, citing financial sources. The paper cited market rumours as saying the fund was flanked by FSI, the Italian strategic investment fund owned by state financing company Cassa Depositi e Prestiti. In November, Qatar Holding signed a joint venture agreement with FSI to invest in Italian companies in sectors including food, fashion and luxury. ...
Yahoo! News India
- UP: 42 cops booked for alleged murder of terror suspect Ani
42 Uttar Pradesh policemen, including some top officers, were booked on Sunday for the alleged murder of Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the serial blasts in the More »
- Rahul Gandhi criticises opposition for 'stalling' Food Bill ANI
Congress Vice President Rahul has criticised the opposition parties for stalling the Food Security Bill in Parliament, and asserted the UPA government was More »
- Saudi woman creates history by reaching Mount Everest summit ANI
A Saudi woman has become the first female from the country and the youngest Arab to reach the summit of Mount Everest - the world's highest mountain. More »
- Nadal to meet Federer in Rome final, Serena rolls on Reuters
Roger Federer will meet great rival Rafa Nadal in the Italian Open final after the Swiss held off a spirited challenge by unseeded Frenchman Benoit Paire on More »
- Kayani 'throws weight' behind Nawaz Sharif ahead of govt. transition ANI
Pakistan Army Chief, General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani has met Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president and expected prime minister for the next parliamentary More »
- Development alone is the solutions to problems faced by India, claims Modi ANI
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has said that development in all spheres is the sole key and formula of solutions to the problems faced by India. More »
- Two Andhra ministers charged in Jagan case may quit IANS
Two cabinet ministers in Andhra Pradesh charged in the Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy's disproportionate assets case are likely to resign following orders from the Congress More »
- Mumbai police seize Sreesanth's phones, laptops, data cards IANS
Probing deeper into the IPL spot-match fixing scam, Mumbai police have seized the mobiles, iPhones, laptops, data cards and other personal belongings of cricketer More »
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida Reuters
By Karen Brooks and Steve Gorman REUTERS - A single winning ticket for a record U.S. Powerball lottery jackpot worth $590.5 million was sold in Florida, organizers said late on Saturday, but there was no immediate word about who won or where in the state the ticket was bought. The winning numbers from Saturday night's drawing were: 10, 13, 14, 22 and 52, with a Powerball number of 11, and the odds of winning were put at one in 175 million. The grand prize, accumulated after two months of drawings, surpassed the previous record Powerball payoff of $587. ...
- U.N. chief Ban says worried over N.Korea missile launch Reuters
MOSCOW (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern on Sunday over North Korea's short-range missile launch, calling on Pyongyang to refrain from further launches and return to stalled nuclear talks with world powers. Ban, in an interview with Russia's RIA Novosti news agency, called North Korea's launch of three short-range missiles from its east coast on Saturday a "provocative action". (Reporting by Alissa de Carbonnel; Editing by Alison Williams)
- All eyes on Vodafone's Colao for signs on Verizon Reuters
By Kate Holton LONDON (Reuters) - After months of speculation, Vodafone's Vittorio Colao will be under pressure next week to set out whether he may sell its prized stake in Verizon Wireless in what would be one of the biggest deals ever. Chief executive for five years, Colao has said only that he has an "open mind" on Vodafone's 45-percent stake in the U.S. operator, whose majority owner, Verizon Communications , is interested in buying out the British company's share. ...
- Warner to face disciplinary hearing over Twitter rant Reuters
REUTERS - Australia opening batsman David Warner will face a disciplinary hearing for his Twitter outburst against two senior Australian cricket journalists, the country's cricket board said on Sunday. The flamboyant left-handed batsman criticised News Limited journalists Robert Craddock and Malcolm Conn in an expletive-filled tirade, which grabbed headlines in Australia. The 26-year-old has been charged with breaking the code of behaviour which pertains to "unbecoming behaviour, regarding comments posted on his Twitter account," Cricket Australia said in a statement. ...
- Upmarket Pakistan district votes again as Imran Khan decries killing Reuters
By Katharine Houreld and Syed Raza Hassan ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - An upmarket constituency of Pakistan's violence-plagued city of Karachi voted again under tight security on Sunday, a day after gunmen killed a senior politician from a reformist party in the district and a week after general elections. It was not immediately clear who killed Zara Shahid Hussain, a senior member of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party of former cricket hero Imran Khan, who accused the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) party, which has a stranglehold on the city. ...
- Danger and separation from families changing job of U.S. diplomats Reuters
By Susan Cornwell WASHINGTON (Reuters) - When the Yemen-based branch of al Qaeda placed a bounty on her husband's head, Mary Feierstein learned of it from a friend who called and said, "You must be a mess!" U.S. Ambassador Gerald Feierstein was thousands of miles (km) away at the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa, without his wife and family on what is called an "unaccompanied" posting. He is one of more than a thousand U.S. diplomats on such tours of duty in danger spots around the world, part of a trend that is changing the definition of being a diplomat. ...
- Greying China taps rural elderly to care for those even older Reuters
By Li Hui and Maxim Duncan QIANTUN, China (Reuters) - Two years short of 70, Zhang Guosheng spends his days caring for an 81-year-old fellow villager - washing his clothes, bringing meals to his bed, and keeping him company - a routine he'll keep up until he himself needs the type of care he is now giving. "Living here is better than staying at home alone. We help each other and have a common language," said the spritely Zhang, an enthusiastic dancer. "We are very happy here. ...
- Weakened Congress wondering if early elections will help Reuters
By Satarupa Bhattacharjya and Ross Colvin NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The Congress party is debating holding a general election in November, six months ahead of schedule, senior party leaders said, reflecting an internal discussion over whether to pull the plug on the shaky ruling coalition or have it serve a full term. Officially, the Congress party says the government - which has been battered by a series of corruption scandals and now governs as a minority after two allies withdrew from the ruling coalition - will limp on until elections are due in May 2014. ...
- Southee leads late New Zealand fightback Reuters
By Ed Osmond LONDON (Reuters) - Paceman Tim Southee claimed three late wickets as New Zealand reduced England to 180 for six on a dramatic third day of the first test at Lord's on Saturday. A patient third-wicket partnership of 123 between Joe Root and Jonathan Trott looked to have put the home team in control but the Kiwis grabbed four wickets for 12 runs in the final session to give themselves a scent of victory. England, who earlier in the day bowled the tourists out for 207 in their first innings, lead by 205 runs with two days remaining. ...
- Beckham tears and Ibrahimovic joy as PSG triumph Reuters
By Julien Pretot PARIS (Reuters) - Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored twice while David Beckham produced an emotional Parc des Princes farewell as Ligue 1 champions Paris St Germain beat bottom club Stade Brest 3-1 on a memorable night on Saturday. Sweden striker Ibrahimovic took his league tally this season to 29 goals, a personal best. Former France forward Jean-Pierre Papin was the last player to hit 30 Ligue 1 goals in a season, for Olympique Marseille in 1989-90. ...
- Nadal to meet Federer in Rome final, Serena rolls on Reuters
By Eric Salliot ROME (Reuters) - Roger Federer will meet great rival Rafa Nadal in the Italian Open final after the Swiss held off a spirited challenge by unseeded Frenchman Benoit Paire on Saturday. The 7-6 6-4 scoreline suggested a routine victory for the world number three, but the 24-year-old Paire was a break up in the first set and held three mini breaks in the tiebreak before being let down by poor shot selection. The second set was more straightforward for Federer, into the Rome final for the third time and first since 2006, as he wrapped up victory in just under 90 minutes. ...
- Bradley remains in charge despite late bogey Reuters
REUTERS - Former champion Keegan Bradley overcame a wobbly start to stay on track for a wire-to-wire victory at the Byron Nelson Championship in Irving, Texas, despite bogeying the par-four 18th for a third day in a row on Saturday. Three ahead of the chasing pack overnight, the 26-year-old American ground out a two-under-par 68 on a fast-running layout in tricky, gusting winds to end the third round with a slender one-shot lead at 13-under 197. ...
- Israel warns against Russian arms supply to Syria Reuters
By Maayan Lubell JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel said on Saturday that advanced weapons supplied by Russia to war-torn Syria could end up in the wrong hands and be used against the Jewish state. A Russian shipment of Yakhont anti-ship missiles to Syria was condemned by the United States on Friday and Israel is also alarmed by the prospect of Russia supplying S-300 advanced air defence missile systems to Damascus. ...
- France detains suspect in Toulouse killings investigation Reuters
PARIS (Reuters) - French anti-terror judges ordered the detention on Saturday of a man on suspicions he aided an al Qaeda-inspired gunman prepare for a shooting spree last year, a judicial source said. Mohamed Merah killed four Jews and three soldiers in and around the southern city of Toulouse in March 2012 before he was shot dead by police. Anti-terror judges have put the unnamed 25-year-old detained man under formal investigation to determine whether he helped Merah steal a scooter that was used in the shootings. ...
- Sarabjit death probe: Pakistani official may visit India IANS
Islamabad, May 19 (IANS) A one-man inquiry tribunal comprising Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi of Lahore High Court may visit India to complete the judicial inquiry into the death of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, a media report said.
- Much ado about nose rings at Cannes IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Among things Indian that Bollywood actresses Vidya Balan and Sonam Kapoor flaunted at the ongoing 66th Cannes International Film Festival, their bespoke nose rings, the traditional 'nath', drew immense attention. Designers believe this could set a trend of sorts among youth.
- Fish therapy makes its way into Gaza IANS
Gaza, May 19 (IANS) Fouad Yahya, a resident of the Gaza Strip, had never expected that one day a fish will help treat his skin disease, a therapy that he learnt about via the internet.
- Libya seeks India's help in democratic transition, economic rebuilding IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Libya's new government, formed in 2011 after four decades of Muammar Gaddafi's dictatorial rule, is keen to take India's help in the drafting of a constitution and economic rebuilding, the Libyan envoy here has said.
- Sachin Pilgaonkar's movie to have virtual premiere IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) Actor-director Sachin Pilgaonkar's forthcoming Marathi movie "Ekulti Ek", which marks his golden jubilee in showbiz, will be simultaneously premiered in five theatres in five cities in Maharashtra.
- Pakistani man lynched over prostitution IANS
Islamabad, May 19 (IANS) A man was lynched to death and two others, including an alleged prostitute, were injured after they were caught in an "objectionable" condition in a house near the Pakistani capital, a media report said Sunday.
- Sheen, Mueller's children better off with Richards IANS
Los Angeles, May 19 (IANS) Actors Charlie Sheen apparently feels that it's a good idea to let his sons stay in the custody of Denise Richards, while their mother Brook Mueller is in rehab.
- Mel C daughter's second choice, Jessie J comes first IANS
London, May 19 (IANS) Former Spice girl Singer Melanie Chisholm aka Mel C says her daughter Scarlet really adores singer Jessie J, who is a judge on the Britain's singing reality show "The Voice".
- Tamara Ecclestone not obsessed with wedding plans IANS
Los Angeles, May 19 (IANS) Model Tamara Eccelstone admits being excited about her marriage to fiance Jay Rutland, but says she is not obsessed about plans related to her D-day.
- 'Only music didn't make business sense for Channel V' IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) From a pure music channel to a youth-oriented general entertainment channel -- the transition of Channel V, which now boasts of a mix of drama content and reality shows, was an important business decision, says its spokesperson.
- Anchoring not stepping stone to movies: Manish Paul IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) After being a successful anchor on the small screen, Manish Paul moves to the big screen with "Micky Virus", but insists that he never used the small screen medium to get into movies.
- Pakistani woman politician shot dead IANS
Islamabad, May 19 (IANS) A senior woman politician in Pakistan's port city of Karachi was gunned down by motorcycle-riding assailants outside her residence late Saturday, a media report said Sunday.
- Land acquisition bill will lead to corporatization: Activists IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) While political consensus on the land acquisition bill, hailed as one of the most important reform measures, has been worked out, civil society activists are unhappy with its provisions and say it will lead to "corporatization" of land. They also say it lacks provisions for rehabilitating the displaced.
- Robotics, kick-boxing, horse-riding camps for children this summer IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Thirteen-year-old Amandeep Singh learnt to paint during the last summer vacation. This year, he has set his mind on kick-boxing, for which he is actively encouraged by his middle-class parents. His sister Simran, who is two years his senior, told her working parents that she wants to take up pottery - and wants to take it up as a career later in life.
- Over 20 percent polling in Punjab local elections IANS
Chandigarh, May 19 (IANS) Officials said 20-25 percent voting was reported from various parts of the state till noon in zila parishad and panchayat samiti elections being held in Punjab Sunday.
- Moveable feasts Hindustan Times
- Rape-accused doc flees while on way to police station Hindustan Times
- Chandila went expensive shopping with the bookie Hindustan Times
- Cricket betting reveals its pan-India presence Hindustan Times
- Gurgaon: Constable accused of rape Hindustan Times
- MP: youth molests girl, accused's father sets her ablaze Hindustan Times
- Rape survivor comes to terms, awaits another surgery Hindustan Times
- Question their interest in this time of conflict Hindustan Times
- Police seek footage from the official broadcast channel Hindustan Times
- Hidden, in plain sight Hindustan Times
- NCP legislator booked for assault in bank faces arrest Hindustan Times
- Developers axe old tree, NMC residents protest Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Robotics, kick-boxing, horse-riding camps for children this summer 1 hour 5 minutes ago
- Over 20 percent polling in Punjab local elections1 hour 5 minutes ago
- Police arrest four Maoist sympathisers in Jharkhand 1 hour 14 minutes ago
- Cyber experts fear escalation of attacks16 hours ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013
- Chronic trauma can inflict lasting damage to brain 47 minutes ago
- What not to do when your spouse finds your affair47 minutes ago
- Women fall for men with styled facial hair1 hour 35 minutes ago