REUTERS - American Jay Haas charged into early contention for a third Senior PGA Championship title by shooting a flawless five-under-par 66 in Thursday's opening round at Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis, Missouri. The 59-year-old shrugged off lingering back pain with accurate driving and deft course management to end a cool, blustery day tied at the top with compatriot Duffy Waldorf, who qualified for the over-50 Champions Tour last August. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- London attacker was British-born of Nigerian descent Reuters
British authorities have established that one and possibly both of the men who hacked a soldier to death on a London street was born in Britain of Nigerian descent, More »
- Mumbai cops summon cricket board chief's son-in-law IANS
Chennai, May 23 (IANS) A Mumbai police team here Thursday served summons on Gurunath Meiyappan, chief executive of Chennai Super Kings team of the IPL who is More »
- China to support Pakistan for stability, development: Li IANS
Islamabad, May 23 (IANS) The Chinese government will unswervingly stick to its friendly policy toward Pakistan and support the South Asian nation in realising More »
- Driver held for massacre of seven of family in Ghaziabad IANS
Lucknow, May 23 (IANS) Cracking the gruesome murder case in Ghaziabad where seven persons of a family, including three children, were hacked to death late Tuesday, More »
- PIL challenges Shashi Kant Sharma's appointment as CAG ANI
A public interest litigation (PIL) has been filed in the Supreme Court challenging the appointment of new Comptroller and Auditor General and former defence More »
- Australia looks into allowing Sikhs to wear turban at work IANS
Sydney, May 23 (IANS) Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has said that she would look into the issue of allowing Sikhs in her country to wear the turban while More »
- Google, like Facebook, in talks to buy Waze for $1 billion: report Reuters
REUTERS - Google Inc is considering buying Israeli mobile satellite navigation start-up Waze Inc, which may lead to a bidding war with Facebook Inc , Bloomberg news reported, citing people familiar with the matter. Waze is seeking more than $1 billion and is fielding expressions of interest from multiple parties, Bloomberg cited a source as saying. Maps and navigation services have become a key asset for technology companies as consumers increasingly adopt smartphones and other mobile devices. Other media have reported that Facebook Inc has held talks to buy Waze for as much as $1 billion. ...
- NBA - Pacers, Heat bring playoffs to life with overtime thriller Reuters
By Simon Evans MIAMI (Reuters) - The Indiana Pacers fell just short in the Eastern Conference finals opener but their gritty display pumped life into the NBA playoffs and let the defending champion Miami Heat know they have a battle on their hands. The ease with which the top-seeded Heat have brushed aside opponents during the regular season and playoffs has given an air of inevitability to this year's postseason, resulting in falling television ratings and plummeting interest. ...
- Cannes auction of space trip with DiCaprio raises 1.2 million euros for charity Reuters
By Belinda Goldsmith CANNES (Reuters) - A trip to space with Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio raised 1.2 million euros for charity at a glitzy fundraiser at the Cannes film festival on Thursday. At the 20th annual event organized by amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research, DiCaprio emerged as the mystery guest to accompany the winner on a Virgin Galactic flight into space. DiCaprio stars in the film "The Great Gatsby," which opened the 66th Cannes film festival. Actress Sharon Stone said the winning bidder would spend three days in training with DiCaprio in New Mexico before blast-off. ...
- Stores shut, schools close amid curfew by Rio drug dealers Reuters
By Paulo Prada RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Drug traffickers in Rio de Janeiro ordered shops closed in one of its biggest slums early Thursday, defying efforts to restore order to the city's vast shantytowns and renewing safety concerns in Brazil as it prepares to host the World Cup and Olympics. Shops were shuttered and more than 5,400 children were turned away from school Thursday morning after traffickers, shouting from motorcycles, ordered a curfew following a shootout with police late Wednesday that killed a drug dealer. ...
- Palmer takes control with a 62 at Colonial Reuters
REUTERS - American Ryan Palmer took advantage of ideal scoring conditions and local knowledge with a birdie fest as he charged into a one-shot lead in Thursday's opening round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. The 36-year-old Texan piled up eight birdies on the way to a flawless eight-under-par 62 on a relatively calm morning at iconic Colonial Country Club, matching the lowest first round ever recorded at the long established PGA Tour event. ...
- Judge says leaning toward U.S. in Apple e-books case Reuters
By Nate Raymond NEW YORK (Reuters) - In an unusual move before a trial, a federal judge expressed a tentative view that the U.S. Justice Department will be able to show evidence that Apple Inc engaged in a conspiracy with publishers to increase e-book prices. U.S. District Judge Denise Cote, who is set to oversee a trial on June 3, gave her view during a pretrial hearing on Thursday. ...
- Boy Scouts of America votes to end century-old ban on gay scouts Reuters
By Marice Richter GRAPEVINE, Texas (Reuters) - The Boy Scouts of America voted on Thursday to lift a century-old ban on openly gay scouts in a major victory for gay rights activists, but the decision means a sea of change for an organization that depends heavily on faith-based groups. More than 60 percent of the group's National Council, comprised of some 1,400 delegates, voted in favor of ending the ban, effective January 1, 2014, the group said in a statement. A prohibition on openly gay adult leaders remains in place. ...
- P&G brings back A.G. Lafley as CEO, McDonald out Reuters
By Jessica Wohl REUTERS - Procter & Gamble Co on Thursday brought back A.G. Lafley to run the world's largest household products maker, replacing Bob McDonald immediately in the midst of a major restructuring. Lafley is taking on the roles of chairman, president and chief executive officer, effective immediately, while McDonald is set to retire on June 30 after 33 years at P&G. The move comes as some investors have pushed for faster improvements from the maker of Tide detergent and Gillette razors. P&G unveiled a $10 billion restructuring program in February 2012. ...
- Google faces new federal antitrust probe - source Reuters
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. regulators are in the early stages of an antitrust probe into whether Google Inc , the top player in Web display advertising, breaks antitrust law in how it handles some advertising sales, a source told Reuters on Thursday. The source said that it was unlikely that the Federal Trade Commission had sent out civil investigative demands in relation to the probe, which would be the sign of a formal and more serious investigation. ...
- FBI reviews death of Chechen man shot during Florida questioning Reuters
By Barbara Liston and Mark Hosenball ORLANDO, Fla./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A special Federal Bureau of Investigation team from Washington on Thursday began reviewing the death of a Chechen immigrant linked to the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, a day after he was shot and killed by an agent during questioning in Orlando. The dead man, Ibragim Todashev, 27, was a friend of suspected bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev and was under investigation for alleged ties to a triple homicide in Massachusetts in 2011, according to media reports citing law enforcement officials. ...
- Asian stocks steadier, Nikkei bounces back Reuters
By Ian Chua SYDNEY (Reuters) - Asian shares opened cautiously higher on Friday with Tokyo's Nikkei steadying from its biggest one-day drop in two years as investors breathed a sigh of relief when Wall Street cut losses on an upbeat outlook from Hewlett-Packard. As some semblance of calm returned to markets, the yen drifted lower against the dollar and euro, giving back some of the chunky gains made on Thursday. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan edged up 0.2 percent, having slumped more than 2 percent on Thursday in its largest one-day decline in 10 months. ...
- Analysis: Markets face rough summer ride as Fed pullback feared Reuters
By Rodrigo Campos NEW YORK (Reuters) - For the past few months, the U.S. Federal Reserve has been squarely in the financial markets' corner, thanks to its massive dollops of monetary stimulus. But signs that the central bank is discussing reducing that support by purchasing fewer bonds mean that trading is likely to get bumpier in coming months. ...
- Obama shifts U.S. from 'perpetual war-footing,' limits drone strikes Reuters
By Matt Spetalnick and Roberta Rampton WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Thursday shifted the United States away from a "boundless global war on terror," restricting deadly drone strikes abroad and signaling that America's long struggle against al Qaeda will one day end. In a major policy speech, Obama narrowed the scope of the U.S. targeted-killing campaign against al Qaeda and its allies and took new steps toward closing the Guantanamo Bay military prison - controversial elements of the U.S. counterterrorism fight that have drawn condemnation at home and abroad. ...
- Andretti eager to end family's Indy500 'curse' Reuters
By Steve Keating INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - It was media day at the Indianapolis 500 on Thursday and Marco Andretti knew the question was coming before it was even asked. What about the Andretti curse? For Marco, grandson of former Formula One champion Mario Andretti and son of IndyCar champion and team owner Michael, the family name is both a blessing and curse when it comes to racing at the famed Brickyard. American motor racing royalty, the Andrettis have ruled over open wheel racing in the United States with a string of victories that has linked generations. ...
- Hashish from India seized in Germany IANS
Milan, May 24 (IANS/AKI) A parcel containing two kg of hashish reportedly sent from India has been seized in Germany. The substance was found hidden inside beach tennis rackets mailed to an address in Italy, police said.
- Rare birth of mega-galaxy captured by space telescope IANS
Washington, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Researchers in the US have captured rare images of the creation of a massive galaxy about 10 times the size of the Milky Way that was formed when two young galaxies collided 11 billion years ago, a study said.
- Italian man immolates himself after losing home IANS
Rome, May 24 (IANS/AKI) An unemployed 64-year-old labourer in Italy's Sicily island died after setting himself alight, when he failed to repay a 10,000 euro loan and lost his home.
- Russia to build new parliament compound IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A new Russian parliamentary centre will be built in central Moscow, that will house both the upper and lower houses as well as their administrative and support services, an official said.
- Berlusconi at centre of massive tax fraud, says court IANS
Milan, May 24 (IANS/AKI) Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi played a key role in a "massive" fraud by his media group, appeals judges in Milan have said.
- Man held in Italy for exploiting prostitute IANS
Naples, May 24 (IANS/AKI) A man was arrested in the southern Italian city of Naples on suspicion that he was "exploiting" a Romanian prostitute on the pretext of regularly driving her to work.
- Taylor Swift likes smart, comfortable wear IANS
Los Angeles, May 24 (IANS) Singer Taylor Swift likes to wear clothes which exude style, but still don't restrict her movement on stage.
- Sale of Russian weapons to Syria 'destabilising': Kerry IANS
Tel Aviv, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The sale of S-300 air defence systems by Russia to Syria would be "destabilising" for the region, US Secretary of State John Kerry said.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt enjoys being in own skin IANS
Los Angeles, May 24 (IANS) Jennifer Love Hewitt feels people will never stop commenting - whether you're thin or voluptuous. But she says it is more important to feel good in your skin, and she does so with her regular dose of running, yoga and Pilates.
- New Russian spacecraft reusable for up to five flights IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia's new reusable spacecraft being developed by the Energia Rocket and Space Corporation will be able to make up to five space flights, the rocket maker said.
- 'The Hangover' franchise over, say actors IANS
Los Angeles, May 24 (IANS) For Comedian Ed Helms and actor Bradley Cooper, actors of the successful "The Hangover" films, the franchise is "over".
- New light rocket Angara ready for launch IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia's first light-class modification Angara 1.2PP carrier rocket is ready for its maiden launch, its manufacturer Khrunichev Center said.
- On US request, Russian arms dealer held in Lithuania IANS
Vilnius (Lithuania), May 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Lithuanian security services have arrested a Russian national at the request of the US Justice Department, which suspects him of smuggling export-restricted military equipment.
- Cruise liner captain to stand trial over shipwreck IANS
Rome, May 24 (IANS/AKI) The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that hit rocks and sank off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, will go on trial in July.
- Eva Longoria gets her Master's degree IANS
Los Angeles, May 24 (IANS) Actress Eva Longoria gladly flaunted a graduation gown after picking her Master's degree from the California State University.
- BJP gives it back, says govt to blame for delayed bills Hindustan Times
- JEE row: CBSE told to give answer keys to students Hindustan Times
- Models probed for Vindoo-Gurunath links Hindustan Times
- Number-crunching teen in Limca Book of Records Hindustan Times
- Teachers back on election duty Hindustan Times
- BMC cell to hasten RTI process Hindustan Times
- No exam papers, report cards if pupils want refund: school Hindustan Times
- Sr cop who probed 26/11 case retires Hindustan Times
- FSI not applied to most constructed areas in Worli building Hindustan Times
- Matunga institute wins $1,60,000 for innovation Hindustan Times
- 314 files on bldgs go 'missing' from civic body records Hindustan Times
- Delhi police to get lessons in gender sensitivity Hindustan Times
- Number-crunching teen finds a place in Limca Book of Records Hindustan Times
- Captaincy helps Rohit Sharma bloom as player Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Boy Scouts of America votes to end century-old ban on gay scouts1 hour 22 minutes ago
- FBI reviews death of Chechen man shot during Florida questioning1 hour 52 minutes ago
- Obama shifts U.S. from 'perpetual war-footing,' limits drone strikes2 hours 8 minutes ago
- Cannes auction of space trip with DiCaprio raises 1.2 million euros for charity1 hour 5 minutes ago
- Haas, Waldorf set pace at Senior PGA Championship18 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013