By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Germany's Nico Rosberg scorched to his third successive Formula One pole position with team mate Lewis Hamilton completing a front row lockout for Mercedes at the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday. The pole was the fourth in a row for Mercedes, whose qualifying form has faded in the races so far this season, and second successive sweep of the top two places. Red Bull's triple world champion Sebastian Vettel qualified third, on a drying track after a damp session, with Australian team mate and last year's winner Mark Webber lining up alongside. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested a man under anti-terrorism laws at BBC headquarters after an interviewee said security services tried More »
- Cong defeat, not prime-ministership, is Modi's aim: Rajnath Hindustan Times
A new axis between Narendra Modi and BJP president Rajnath Singh - since Gujarat CM's elevation to the party's parliamentary board - has more to do with battle More »
- Inform us of security cover for panchayat polls, Congress urges SEC IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Concerned over security issues during the upcoming panchayat elections in West Bengal, the Congress Saturday said it has urged the State More »
- India Cements not to be impacted financially if CSK booted out of IPL IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) India Cements may not be majorly impacted if its Indian Premier League (IPL) team, Chennai Super Kings' licence is revoked in the wake of the More »
- Formidable Chennai stand in Mumbai's way of maiden IPL crown IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Amid the intriguing but dark saga of the unfolding spot fixing and betting scam, two-time champions Chennai Super Kings take on traditional More »
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh More »
- Syrian opposition resumes tough talks on unity key to peace push Reuters
By Khaled Yacoub Oweis ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Syria's opposition resumed talks on Saturday aimed at closing their fractious ranks, crucial to launching an international peace conference, and government forces pressed an onslaught on a rebel-held town to try to gain the upper hand in civil war. Failure of the opposition to unite could weaken the hand of conference co-sponsors Russia and the United States in ending Syria's conflict, which has killed 80,000 people, threatens to spill across borders and whip up wider sectarian conflict. The U.S. ...
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British police arrested a man under anti-terrorism laws at BBC headquarters after an interviewee said security services tried to recruit one of the two men arrested after a soldier was hacked to death in a London street. Michael Adebolajo, 28 and Michael Adebowale, 22, are under armed guard in hospital after being shot and arrested by police on suspicion of the murder of 25-year-old Lee Rigby, a veteran of the Afghan war, on Wednesday. ...
- England stutter after Cook and Trott fall Reuters
By Justin Palmer LEEDS (Reuters) - England lost Jonathan Trott and Alastair Cook to successive balls just before lunch as New Zealand rallied on the second day of the second and final test at Headingley on Saturday. The hosts had recovered from the early dismissal of Nick Compton with Cook and Trott sharing a half-century stand before both fell late in the session to leave England 67 for three after the first day was lost to rain. ...
- Beckham left out of PSG squad as retirement starts Reuters
REUTERS - David Beckham was not included in Paris St Germain's squad for their final Ligue 1 game of the season at Lorient on Sunday as the former England captain headed into retirement. The 38-year-old midfielder had expected as much after his special send-off in Paris last weekend, saying he did not think he would play on the artificial pitch at the Brittany side because the surface could aggravate previous Achilles injury problems. Beckham was not among the 19-man squad named by manager Carlo Ancelotti on Saturday on the Ligue 1 champions' website (www.psg.fr). ...
- Gold faces more pressure as inflation stays tame Reuters
By Jan Harvey LONDON (Reuters) - Gold prices are looking even more vulnerable after April's price crash, as rampant inflation expected from successive rounds of monetary easing fails to materialise. The idea that record-low interest rates would damage paper currencies and boost inflation was a key factor pushing gold to record highs in the wake of the financial crisis. Ultra-loose monetary policies are still in vogue, but gold prices have slid nearly 20 percent since the start of the year and are on track for their biggest quarterly drop in more than 15 years. ...
- In Syria's shadow, Iraq violence presents new test for U.S Reuters
By Warren Strobel WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saddled with Middle East problems ranging from Iran to Syria and beyond, President Barack Obama now faces one that is both old and new: Iraq. Unresolved sectarian tensions, inflamed by the raging civil war in neighboring Syria, have combined to send violence in Iraq to its highest level since Obama withdrew the last U.S. troops in December 2011, U.S. officials and Middle East analysts say. A Sunni Muslim insurgency against the Shi'ite-led Baghdad government has also been reawakened. ...
- 150 years after Gettysburg, drummer to recreate reunion march Reuters
By Jeffrey B. Roth PITTSBURGH (Reuters) - Fifty years after the Battle of Gettysburg, the bloodiest of the U.S. Civil War, a survivor of that fight marched 200 miles (320 km) from Pittsburgh to the site of the battle for a reunion attended by both Union and Confederate veterans. On Sunday, another veteran, Jim Smith, 70, of Hempfield, Pennsylvania, will start out on the same trek as part of the observation of Memorial Day, when Americans honor their war dead. ...
- Nigerian army says rescues hostages taken by Islamists Reuters
ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's military has freed a number of women and children held hostage by Islamist sect Boko Haram, the army said on Saturday, after its offensive in the northeast of the country overran three of the insurgents' camps. Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau said in a video earlier this month that the group had kidnapped several women and children in retaliation against security forces who, it says, detained the wives and children of its members without cause. ...
- Interpol rejects Russia's "political" case against fund manager Browder Reuters
By Jason Bush MOSCOW - Interpol has refused to include UK-based fund manager William Browder on its international search list after deciding that Russia's tax evasion case against him is "of a predominantly political nature". The decision is the latest twist in a long-running battle between the government of Russian President Vladimir Putin and Browder, whose investment company Hermitage Capital was once the largest investor in Russia's equity market. ...
- Thousands watch murdered anti-Mafia priest beatified in Sicily Reuters
ROME (Reuters) - A Sicilian priest gunned down by the Mafia twenty years ago outside his home in Palermo was beatified in a seafront ceremony on Saturday attended by an estimated 100,000 people from all over Italy. Father Giuseppe Puglisi was shot in the back of the head in September 1993 in the crime-ridden Brancaccio district of the Sicilian capital where he preached against the Mafia. School parties, local dignitaries and top government ministers braved a stiff wind as the emeritus archbishop of Palermo read out the formal letter of beatification from Pope Francis in Latin. ...
- Sunshine comes Just-in time as Rose blooms with 69 Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER (Reuters) - Britain's Justin Rose was relieved to feel the sun on his back again at the PGA Championship on Saturday and the world number four took advantage with a three-under-par 69. Most of the players contesting the European Tour's flagship event at Wentworth struggled to cope with wintry conditions on the first two days. The eight-degree temperatures and winds gusting up to 20-mph finally gave way to blue skies and warm sunshine in the third round and Rose blossomed as four birdies helped him glide gently through the field. ...
- Djokovic and cold weather threaten Nadal's Paris bid Reuters
By Julien Pretot PARIS (Reuters) - Old foe Novak Djokovic and damp weather conditions are the most likely obstacles to claycourt machine Rafael Nadal's bid for a record-extending eighth French Open title over the next two weeks. Nadal, who last year beat Bjorn Borg's record of six Roland Garros crowns, has lost only one match on the Paris clay and has already won five titles on the slow surface this year. However, Serbia's Djokovic ended the Spaniard's eight-year reign at the Monte Carlo Masters to show he is beatable on the red dust after all. ...
- Raikkonen in the hunt without the Hunt Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Formula One title contender Kimi Raikkonen has covered up a tribute on his helmet to late champion James Hunt after the lettering was deemed to contravene television regulations. The party-loving Lotus driver, second in the championship at present, is a big fan of Britain's 1976 champion and once entered a snowmobile race under Hunt's name. He has also paid tribute to him in the past with Monaco helmets. This year's had the words 'James Hunt' on the top, positioned to face the camera behind. The regulations do not allow rear-facing messages. ...
- Fernley says costs threaten some F1 teams Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Some Formula One teams face a fight for survival next season when engine costs more than double, Force India deputy principal Bob Fernley said on Saturday. "You shouldn't underestimate the resolve of Formula One teams, they are incredibly resilient and probably will come through," the Briton told Reuters in an interview at the Monaco Grand Prix. "But to add to the level of costs to the teams at this time in an economic cycle, one has to question whether they can all survive." Formula One is introducing a new 1. ...
- No decision on Modi as PM: BJP leader IANS
Panaji, May 25 (IANS) A decision on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the BJP's prime ministerial candidate will only be taken by the party's parliamentary board "when it is appropriate" and not when the national executive meets here next month, a BJP leader said Saturday.
- BJP demands halting of Nitaqat law in Saudi Arabia IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Demanding a halt in the implementation of the Nitaqat law in Saudi Arabia, the BJP Saturday said here that it would work against Indian interests.
- Double for Dhruv Sunish IANS
Bangalore, May 25 (IANS) Dhruv Sunish, the 13-year old from Maharashtra, capped his fine run with a maiden title triumph in the boys singles of the Karle Infra ATF Under-14 Asian junior ranking tennis tournament here Saturday as he scalped top seed and statemate Siddhanth Jagdish Banthia 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 in the final.
- Law soon to deal with malpractices in sports: Sibal IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Amid widening ambit of investigations into the IPL-6 spot fixing scam, Law Minister Kapil Sibal Saturday said that the government will soon bring a stand-alone law to deal with malpractices in sports.
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India' IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) While the recent controversy around the Indian Premier League (IPL) has revealed a network of betting in cricket, official national crime data shows gambling, in various forms, is rampant in the country, a think tank said Saturday.
- Four dead in UP village after drinking illicit liquor IANS
Lucknow, May 25 (IANS) Four people died in Uttar Pradesh's Sultanpur district after consuming illicit liquor at a wedding, police said Saturday.
- Rain forecast for IPL final day IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) With the met office forecasting "rain or thunder showers likely in some places" in the city Sunday, Indian Premier League (IPL) fans will be fervently praying for the rain gods to spare the Eden Gardens scheduled to host final between two-time champions Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians.
- BCCI chief defiant, police question Meiyappan IANS
Mumbai/New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Embattled BCCI president N. Srinivasan refused to quit Saturday as his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was sent to police custody till May 29 in connection with the raging spot fixing scam in Indian cricket.
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik returns land given by Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Internationally acclaimed sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik Saturday said he has returned a piece of land the state government had allotted him in Odisha as he was not allowed to construct on it.
- Cops say arrested spot boy linked to many cricketers IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Mohammad Ahya alias Yusuf, a Bollywood spot boy arrested in the connection of the spot fixing scandal, was in touch with several cricketers apart from the three arrested Rajasthan Royals players, Delhi Police said Saturday.
- PM the laughing stock, social media is proof: BJP leader IANS
Panaji, May 25 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has become a laughing stock for the country and comments on the active social media world are proof of it, a BJP leader said here Friday.
- BJP launches campaign for Himachal parliamentary by-poll IANS
Shimla, May 25 (IANS) Taking the lead, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday formally launched its campaign for the June 23 Mandi parliamentary by-election in Himachal Pradesh.
- Mahaakshay found it 'nerve-wracking' to work with dad IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Actor Mahaakshay Chakraborty, who has shared screen space with his father, veteran actor Mithun Chakraborty in his forthcoming film "Enemmy", says it was a "nerve-wracking" experience for him.
- Andhra Pradesh to get third manufacturing zone IANS
Hyderabad, May 25 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh will get another National Investment Manufacturing Zone (NIMZ), Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma announced Saturday.
- India is 'regressive, depressing', says Mallika Sherawat IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) India is "regressive for women" and a "depressing" place to be, says Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat, explaining why she divides her time between India and the US.
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- Kalam conferred Wernher von Braun Memorial Award Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- CM announces more buses for DTC fleet Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Review: Faith and Freedom, Gandhi in History Hindustan Times
- AIMPLB to take up Mujahid case at Delhi meet Hindustan Times
- Review: A life apart, an autobiography Hindustan Times
- Cong leader remains in jail, Trinamool leader gets bail Hindustan Times
- Odisha sizzles with season's highest temperature of 47.5 degree Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Law soon to deal with malpractices in sports: Sibal28 minutes ago
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'34 minutes ago
- Four dead in UP village after drinking illicit liquor38 minutes ago
- Rosberg puts Mercedes on pole in Monaco15 minutes ago
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik returns land given by Odisha1 hour 10 minutes ago
- Why sex doesn't sell in movies anymore2 hours 40 minutes ago
- Simple steps to happiness revealed2 hours 40 minutes ago
- N.Srinivasan denies any knowledge of Gurunath's involvement in betting 1 hour 46 minutes ago