By Julien Pretot PARIS (Reuters) - Old foe Novak Djokovic and damp weather conditions are the most likely obstacles to claycourt machine Rafael Nadal's bid for a record-extending eighth French Open title over the next two weeks. Nadal, who last year beat Bjorn Borg's record of six Roland Garros crowns, has lost only one match on the Paris clay and has already won five titles on the slow surface this year. However, Serbia's Djokovic ended the Spaniard's eight-year reign at the Monte Carlo Masters to show he is beatable on the red dust after all. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Inform us of security cover for panchayat polls, Congress urges SEC IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Concerned over security issues during the upcoming panchayat elections in West Bengal, the Congress Saturday said it has urged the State More »
- India Cements not to be impacted financially if CSK booted out of IPL IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) India Cements may not be majorly impacted if its Indian Premier League (IPL) team, Chennai Super Kings' licence is revoked in the wake of the More »
- Formidable Chennai stand in Mumbai's way of maiden IPL crown IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Amid the intriguing but dark saga of the unfolding spot fixing and betting scam, two-time champions Chennai Super Kings take on traditional More »
- Indian software industry to see strong revenue growth: PwC IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) The Indian software industry is poised for a strong revenue growth driven by social media, mobility, analytics and cloud, said a report More »
- Jairam points out irregularities in jobs scheme in Odisha IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Pointing out several irregularities in the implementation of rural jobs scheme in Odisha, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh More »
- Shah Rukh to pay only Rs. 8.3 crore for a Rs. 200-crore plot Hindustan Times
Actor Shah Rukh Khan gets to buy the 26,329-square-foot Bandra plot on which his sea-facing bungalow, Mannat, stands for Rs. 8.3 crore under a new government scheme More »
- British police arrest man after spy claim in soldier case Reuters
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - British counter-terrorism police arrested a man at the BBC's headquarters after an interviewee said that security services tried to recruit one of the two suspects in the murder of a soldier in London. Michael Adebolajo, 28 and Michael Adebowale, 22, are under armed guard in hospital after being shot and arrested by police following the murder of 25-year-old Afghan war veteran Lee Rigby on Wednesday. They have not yet been charged. ...
- Raikkonen in the hunt without the Hunt Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Formula One title contender Kimi Raikkonen has covered up a tribute on his helmet to late champion James Hunt after the lettering was deemed to contravene television regulations. The party-loving Lotus driver, second in the championship at present, is a big fan of Britain's 1976 champion and once entered a snowmobile race under Hunt's name. He has also paid tribute to him in the past with Monaco helmets. This year's had the words 'James Hunt' on the top, positioned to face the camera behind. The regulations do not allow rear-facing messages. ...
- Fernley says costs threaten some F1 teams Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Some Formula One teams face a fight for survival next season when engine costs more than double, Force India deputy principal Bob Fernley said on Saturday. "You shouldn't underestimate the resolve of Formula One teams, they are incredibly resilient and probably will come through," the Briton told Reuters in an interview at the Monaco Grand Prix. "But to add to the level of costs to the teams at this time in an economic cycle, one has to question whether they can all survive." Formula One is introducing a new 1. ...
- Rosberg tops crash-filled final Monaco practice Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO, May 25 (Reuters) - Ferrari's Felipe Massa crashed heavily in an accident-strewn final Monaco Grand Prix practice session on Saturday with Nico Rosberg completing a sweep of fastest times for Mercedes. The Brazilian wrestled with a seemingly unresponsive steering wheel before locking up on the brakes and smashing into the steel guardrail on the pit straight. The Ferrari then plunged nose-first into the energy-absorbing plastic safety barrier at the Ste. ...
- England win toss, bat first v New Zealand Reuters
LEEDS, England (Reuters) - England won the toss and chose to bat in the second and final test against New Zealand at Headingley on Saturday. England named an unchanged team from the side that won by 170 runs in the first test at Lord's, retaining paceman Steven Finn and leaving out Tim Bresnan. New Zealand called up Doug Bracewell to make an all-seamer attack having declined to take a gamble on spinner Daniel Vettori, who only arrived in England this week as a replacement for the injured Bruce Martin. ...
- EU steps up quest to solve youth unemployment Reuters
By Barbara Lewis BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European leaders have decided youth unemployment and the risk of social breakdown are among the toughest challenges they face and finding solutions will be a top priority for the coming months. In a letter released late on Friday, European Council President Herman Van Rompuy said youth unemployment was one of the most pressing issues for the 27-member European Union. ...
- Japan govt says unaware of ghosts at PM residence - paper Reuters
TOKYO (Reuters) - A delay in Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his wife moving into their official residence, the site of past assasinations, has revived talk of ghosts in the corridors, prompting the government to deny any knowledge of hauntings. Abe has not moved into the prime minister's official residence for five months since he took power. Asked by an opposition lawmaker about the reported hauntings, the government issued a formal statement on Friday saying it was not aware of ghost sightings, Asahi newspaper and other media reported. ...
- Sixth night of violence in Sweden, but police say capital calmer Reuters
By Mia Shanley STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Community patrols and a beefed-up police presence helped to calm violence around Stockholm overnight on Saturday but 20 to 30 cars were still torched in poor immigrant suburbs and serious incidents were reported outside the capital for the first time. The rioting in Stockholm abated after a week of masked youths vandalising schools and police stations, setting cars alight and hurling stones at firefighters, police said. "It was much calmer - rocks weren't being thrown at police or firefighters - and that's a sign that it's calmer. ...
- Freeport Indonesia union says mine shut but maintenance under way Reuters
JAKARTA (Reuters) - Between 35 and 40 percent of workers at Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc's Indonesian unit returned to work on Saturday to carry out maintenance work after a tunnel collapse that killed 28 people, a union official said. The resumption of work was a possible sign the firm was gearing up towards restarting operations at the world's No. 2 copper mine. Arizona-based Freeport suspended operations at the remote Papua mine on May 15, at a cost estimated at about $15 million a day in lost production. ...
- At least four exposed to radiation after Japan laboratory leak - agency Reuters
TOKYO (Reuters) - At least four people, and possibly up to 55, were exposed to radiation when radioactive material leaked during a laboratory experiment in Japan, the facility's operators said on Saturday, although authorities were not told of the leak for two days. The radioactive material also leaked outside the nuclear physics laboratory in Tokaimura, 110 km (65 miles) northeast of Tokyo, during the experiment on Thursday, the Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) said in a statement. The JAEA did not report the leak to the government's nuclear regulator until more than 34 hours later. ...
- Spot-fixing scandal: BCCI chief's son-in-law arrested Reuters
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Mumbai Police apprehended Gurunath Meiyappan, a key official of the Indian Premier League's (IPL) Chennai franchise, late on Friday in connection with a spot-fixing scandal that has also led to the arrest of three cricketers. Former test bowler Shanthakumaran Sreesanth and two other local cricketers were arrested last week on suspicion of taking money to concede a fixed number of runs and police have intensified investigations to discover the extent of the scandal. ...
- F1 is a superego trip for Wurz's wife Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Truth can be stranger than fiction in Formula One so perhaps it was inevitable that even some regulars were fooled when the launch of a new grand prix team was announced on April 1. Despite a polished website (www.dupontf1.com) and team details, there was no such thing as Dupont F1 - on the racetrack, at least. Julia Wurz, the former Benetton and Renault team public relations executive and wife of Austrian racer Alex, devised the stunt to publicise her debut novel set in the F1 paddock. ...
- Bayern meet Dortmund in all-German Champions League final Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Germans will descend on London's Wembley Stadium later on Saturday (1845 GMT) when four-times winners Bayern Munich take on domestic rivals Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League final. The world's most prestigious club soccer match pits unassuming 68-year-old Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes against excitable Dortmund boss Juergen Klopp, 45, in an intriguing clash of styles. ...
- NBA - Pacers turn up Heat in Miami to level series Reuters
By Simon Evans MIAMI (Reuters) - The Indiana Pacers threw open the NBA Eastern Conference finals on Friday, upsetting the Miami Heat with a 97-93 victory to level the best-of-seven series at 1-1. LeBron James scored 36 points for Miami but gave up two crucial turnovers down the stretch that cost the Heat, while Roy Hibbert top-scored for the Pacers with 29 points and Paul George added 22 and produced some outstanding defensive work. ...
- Cops probe link between Chennai hotel owner's wife, bookie IANS
Chennai, May 25 (IANS) Investigations are on to find out why the wife of a Chennai-based five-star hotel owner telephoned a cricket bookie, now under arrest, over a 100 times, police said Saturday.
- Scientists develop 'skin' for robots IANS
Rome, May 25 (IANS) European scientists have engineered artificial skins and sensor technologies to augment "sensitivity" in robots, says a study.
- Need to bring transparency in sports: Jitendra Singh IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Union Minister of State for Sports minister Jitendra Singh said Saturday that there is a need for good governance, cleansing of sports and bringing transparency in the working of sports federations.
- Deepika fortunate to be Prakash Padukone's daughter: Gavaskar IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Hailing former All England champion Prakash Padukone as "the greatest sportsman India has produced", cricketing legend Sunil Gavaskar Saturday said actor Deepika Padukone is lucky to be the badminton player's daughter.
- Banerjee's plans to take over Saradha channels triggers controversy IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Known for her penchant for stoking controversies, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has given fresh fodder to her detractors with her announcement that the government would acquire two television channels owned by the chit fund funded Saradha Group that has gone bust.
- Gurunath Meiyappan sent to police custody till May 29 IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) A magistrate here Saturday sent Gurunath Meiyappan, son-in-law of BCCI chief N. Srinivasan to police custody till May 29 in connection with the IPL spot fixing scam.
- Inform us of security cover for panchayat polls, Congress urges SEC IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Concerned over security issues during the upcoming panchayat elections in West Bengal, the Congress Saturday said it has urged the State Election Commission to inform it about the security arrangements for polling days.
- BCCI chief should resign: Kamal Nath IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath Saturday said BCCI chief N. Srinivasan should quit following the arrest of his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan in the IPL spot fixing scandal.
- Wedding anniversary wishes galore for Tendulkar IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar's fans have twin reasons to celebrate this weekend.
- Salman shows support to Sana Khan IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Bollywood star Salman Khan has stepped in to support actress Sana Khan, who is reportedly in hiding after getting embroiled in a controversy surrounding an alleged kidnapping of a 15-year-old girl.
- Anand Sharma lays foundation for NID Hyderabad IANS
Hyderabad, May 25 (IANS) Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma Saturday laid the foundation stone of the National Institute of Design (NID) here.
- Meiyappan sent to police custody till May 29 IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) A magistrate here Saturday remanded Gurunath Meiyappan to police custody till May 29 in connection with the IPL spot fixing scam.
- Formidable Chennai stand in Mumbai's way of maiden IPL crown IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Amid the intriguing but dark saga of the unfolding spot fixing and betting scam, two-time champions Chennai Super Kings take on traditional underachievers Mumbai Indians in the final of the controversy-ridden sixth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the iconic Eden Gardens here Sunday.
- Myanmar visit to turn new page in history: Japanese PM IANS
Yangon, May 25 (IANS) Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in a message published in Myanmar official media here Saturday that his current official visit to Myanmar will bring Japan-Myanmar cooperation to even higher level and serve as an opportunity to lay down a foundation for turning a new page in history.
- Himachal to reduce fertilizer use IANS
Shimla, May 25 (IANS) To reduce the use of fertilizers, Himachal Pradesh is going to check samples of soil under the Soil Health Programme, an official said here Saturday.
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- Kalam conferred Wernher von Braun Memorial Award Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- CM announces more buses for DTC fleet Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Review: Faith and Freedom, Gandhi in History Hindustan Times
- AIMPLB to take up Mujahid case at Delhi meet Hindustan Times
- Family doubts police's theory Hindustan Times
- Modi not there, but the big bash goes on Hindustan Times
- Rashid Irani's review: Fast And Furious 6 Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- EU steps up quest to solve youth unemployment2 hours 20 minutes ago
- Japan govt says unaware of ghosts at PM residence - paper2 hours 23 minutes ago
- Fernley says costs threaten some F1 teams1 hour 35 minutes ago