Reuters Market Eye - The government will release January-March quarter GDP on Friday, which is expected to confirm the economy grew at its slowest pace in a decade in the 2012/13 fiscal year. GDP data should also show whether the economy has gained some traction after the government's reforms moves and RBI's rate cuts. Investors will also be eyeing whether strong foreign buying continues. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- President Pranab concerned over disruptions in legislatures IANS
President Pranab Mukherjee Friday expressed concern over repeated disruptions in parliament and state legislatures. More »
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's plea IANS
The Delhi High Court Friday reserved its verdict on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's plea challenging a trial court order to frame charges against him in a 1984 More »
- Koda surrenders after week-long bail, sent to judicial custody IANS
Ranchi, May 24 (IANS) Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, allegedly at the centre of a Rs.2,500 crore money laundering scam, surrendered in a court here More »
- BJP demands Sheila's resignation after Lokayukta charge IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Delhi unit Friday staged a sit-in protest near Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's official residence here, More »
- US drone strikes violate sovereignty, says Pakistan IANS
Islamabad, May 24 (IANS) Pakistani government Friday reiterated its opposition to US drone strikes on its territory, saying the strikes were "counter-productive" More »
- Averse to frisking, Meira Kumar shoots down Ukraine visit Hindustan Times
India, May 24 -- Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar shot down a bilateral meet at Kiev after Ukraine refused to exempt her and accompanying six MPs from More »
- Wall St Week Ahead: Investors look for signs in the rally's break Reuters
By Caroline Valetkevitch NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. stock market's break in its recent rally this week left investors wondering if they're seeing a turning point or just a blip in the upward path. Next week could make it harder to figure out, considering that the long Memorial Day weekend typically signals the start of the summer. The three major U.S. stock indexes posted a decline for the week on Friday, their first weekly loss since mid-April, raising some fresh worries that this year's rally may be weakening. ...
- News Corp to take charge of up to $1.4 billion this quarter Reuters
By Jennifer Saba REUTERS - News Corp said on Friday it will write down the value of its Australian and U.S. publishing assets by up to $1.4 billion, as the company prepares to split its business between its newspaper and entertainment operations. The company said the goodwill impairment charge was primarily for its Australia newspapers though it gave no more details. It also said it expected reduced cash flows in the future. The charge will be taken in the quarter ending June 30 and could effectively wipe out News Corp's profit. Analysts were expecting News Corp to report a pretax profit of ...
- Woods heads potent field for next week's Memorial Reuters
REUTERS - Next week's Memorial tournament at Muirfield Village in Dublin, Ohio will feature one of the season's strongest fields with the world's top six players all taking part in the PGA Tour event hosted by Jack Nicklaus. Top-ranked Tiger Woods will be back to defend the title he claimed by two shots last year while Rory McIlroy (second), Adam Scott (third), 2010 champion Justin Rose (fourth), Brandt Snedeker (fifth) and Luke Donald (sixth) will also be competing. Apart from five-times winner Woods and Rose, seven other former champions will be returning - K.J. ...
- Google to bankroll, build wireless networks across Africa - WSJ Reuters
REUTERS - Google Inc intends to finance, build and help operate wireless networks from sub-Saharan Africa to Southeast Asia, hoping to connect a billion or so people in emerging countries to the Internet, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday. The Internet search giant - which has for years espoused universal Web access - is employing a patchwork quilt of technologies and holding discussions with regulators from South Africa to Kenya, the WSJ cited people familiar with the strategy as saying. ...
- Unhappy with how your fave series is faring? Amazon gives you a say Reuters
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Amazon is once again shaking up traditional publishing models. This time, it's giving fans a chance to add their own personal touches to their favorite fiction - and get paid in the process. This week, Amazon.com Inc announced "Kindle Worlds," which offers aspiring writers an opportunity to pen their own takes on franchises in books, TV, movies, even games and comics. The world's largest Internet retailer plans to license content, then accept submissions online that may then be sold through its Kindle ebook store. ...
- Bosnia president, charged with graft, freed from jail Reuters
SARAJEVO (Reuters) - The president of Bosnia's autonomous Muslim-Croat federation was freed from jail on Friday after the Constitutional Court ordered his release following his arrest last month on corruption charges. President Zivko Budimir was arrested along with 19 other officials in late April in the most high-profile anti-corruption drive in Bosnia since independence more than two decades ago. A court ordered Budimir and his four co-accused aides to be kept in detention because some of them held Croatian passports and there was a risk they might try to flee. ...
- IMF's Lagarde escapes formal investigation in court Reuters
By Noémie Olive PARIS (Reuters) - French magistrates decided on Friday not to place IMF chief Christine Lagarde under formal investigation over her role in a 285-million-euro arbitration payment made to a supporter of former president Nicolas Sarkozy. Lagarde instead was given the status of a "supervised witness" after two full days of questioning on her 2008 decision as Sarkozy's finance minister to use arbitration to settle a legal battle between the state and businessman Bernard Tapie. ...
- Billionaire investor apologizes for saying women traders inferior Reuters
REUTERS - Billionaire investor Paul Tudor Jones, who riled both Wall Street and Main Street when he said that women will never quite rival men in investing or trading, apologized on Friday, noting that he has encouraged his daughters to pursue careers on Wall Street. "Much of my adult life has been spent fighting for equal opportunity, and the idea that I would support limiting opportunity for any segment of society, particularly women, is antithetical to who I am and what I have done," Jones, who runs the $13 billion Tudor Investment Corp, said in a statement. ...
- President Obama again to serve as honorary Cup chairman Reuters
REUTERS - President Barack Obama has accepted an invitation to be honorary chairman of this year's Presidents Cup, the second time he will fulfill the role at the biennial team competition, the PGA Tour said on Friday. Obama, an avid basketball player who often escapes the pressures of the Oval Office by taking to the golf course, served as honorary chairman when the event was last played in the United States, at San Francisco's Harding Park in 2009. ...
- Molinari flourishes while Donald and McIlroy falter Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER (Reuters) - Francesco Molinari flourished while five of his European Ryder Cup team mates fell flat on their faces as the Italian grabbed the lead after the PGA Championship second round on Friday. Luke Donald, the 2011 and 2012 winner, Rory McIlroy, Ian Poulter, Graeme McDowell and Paul Lawrie all missed the halfway cut after struggling in cold, dank conditions at the European Tour's flagship event. ...
- Canada's DeLaet sets Colonial pace with strong finish Reuters
REUTERS - Canadian Graham DeLaet succumbed to the infamous 'Horrible Horseshoe' but rebounded with two closing birdies to move into an early one-shot lead in Friday's second round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. In pursuit of his first PGA Tour victory, the 31-year-old from Saskatchewan put a welcome smile back on his face as he carded a three-under-par 67 in overcast conditions at Colonial Country Club to post a nine-under total of 131. ...
- Donald bemoans 'terrible' display as he exits PGA Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER (Reuters) - Luke Donald, the PGA Championship winner in 2011 and 2012, missed the cut after returning a level-par 72 for a six-over total of 150 at Wentworth on Friday. The real damage was done in Thursday's opening round when the world number six collapsed to a six-over 78 in cold, damp conditions at the European Tour's flagship event. The weather was no better for the second round and Donald suffered an early blow when he took a double-bogey five at the second. ...
- Preview: Indy 500's elite club may welcome new member Reuters
By Steve Keating INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Four-time Indianapolis 500 winners A.J. Foyt, Al Unser and Rick Mears grace the cover of the souvenir program for the 'Greatest Spectacle in Racing' like a trio of senior GQ models. The race's only four-time winners form an exclusive but aging club that has not welcomed a new member since Mears claimed his fourth Indy 500 win in 1991. The fraternity, however, could welcome some young blood on Sunday if 40-year-old defending champion Dario Franchitti of Britain or Brazilian Helio Castroneves, 38, can steer their way to Victory Lane. ...
- Oklahoma singer Shelton to headline May 29 tornado relief benefit Reuters
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oklahoma country singer Blake Shelton said on Friday that he will headline a concert to benefit the victims of the Oklahoma tornado that swept through the city of Moore earlier this week, leaving 24 dead and thousands homeless. Shelton, a native of Ada, Oklahoma, which is 75 miles (120 km) northwest of Moore, said the "Healing in the Heartland: Relief Benefit Concert" will be held on May 29 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, and will be televised live at 9 p.m. EDT on NBC. ...
- Italian held in Thailand in $8 mn fraud case IANS
Bangkok, May 25 (IANS/AKI) An Italian national, suspected of defrauding Italian lenders of over $8 million, has been arrested in Thailand and will be deported to his country, Thai police said.
- Menopause can affect memory IANS
Chicago, May 25 (IANS) New research suggests women who have hot flushes during menopause, could also suffer memory issues.
- Completely support Mumbai Indians, says Ranbir IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor asserts that he "completely" supports his home team Mumbai Indians in the sixth edition of Indian Premier League.
- Brad Pitt follows Gwyneth Paltrow's dad's advice IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Hollywood star Brad Pitt follows his former fiancee Gwyneth Paltrow's father advice on remaining grounded.
- Lady Gaga ready for live gig in August? IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Pop star Lady Gaga, who underwent a hip operation earlier this year, is likely to perform on stage at a Beyonce Knowles' show in New York in August.
- Gay parade banned in Kiev IANS
Kiev, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in the Ukrainian capital has banned the holding of any non-official public events, including a gay pride (LGBT) parade, Saturday.
- Azerbaijan not to join NATO IANS
Baku, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Azerbaijan will join neither NATO nor the Russia-led Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), but is prepared to cooperate with both, a presidential aide said.
- UAE, OIC condemn killing of British soldier IANS
Abu Dhabi, May 25 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) have strongly condemned the killing of a British soldier in Woolwich, London.
- Air Arabia launches flight to Abha in Saudi Arabia IANS
Sharjah, May 25 (IANS/WAM) Air Arabia, the largest low-cost carrier in the Middle East, has launched a flight to Abha in Saudi Arabia from the airlines' main hub in Sharjah.
- Beyonce creates fashion range for website IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Singer Beyonce Knowles has created her own fashion range named Beyonce Boutique for a fashion rental website.
- Hasselhoff spends $1.95 mn on new home IANS
Los Angeles, May 25 (IANS) Actor David Hasselhoff, 60, has bought himself a new mansion for as much as $1.95 million.
- Pleasure to lead Rajasthan Royals: Rahul Dravid IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Despite having gone down to the Mumbai Indians in a nerve-wracking IPL playoff, Rajasthan Royals skipper Rahul Dravid lauded his teammates for splendidly rising up to challenges both on and off the field, and said it has been a "pleasure to lead this team".
- Mumbai stutter past Rajasthan to book IPL final berth IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Notwithstanding a blistering Dwayne Smith knock, Mumbai Indians stuttered to a four-wicket victory over Rajasthan Royals in a nail-biting Indian Premier League (IPL) playoff to enter the finals.
- Mumbai Indians pip Royals to reach IPL final IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) Mumbai Indians overcame middle over hiccups to carve out a thrilling four-wicket win over Rajasthan Royals off the penultimate ball to move into the Indian Premier League final here Friday.
- Gurunath arrested by Mumbai police IANS
Mumbai, May 25 (IANS) Mumbai police late Friday night arrested Gurunath Meiyappan, son-in-law of Indian cricket board chief N. Srinivasan, in the IPL spot fixing scam after three hours of intense interrogation, an official said.
- Tainted cop reinstated Hindustan Times
- ECA admissions to be on basis of only certified documents Hindustan Times
- CRPF man drags MLA opposed to Gogoi by hair Hindustan Times
- Can CSK franchise be scrapped? Hindustan Times
- Minor molested by BJYM activist Hindustan Times
- Royals run into Agent Smith and Turbanator Hindustan Times
- Family doubts police's theory Hindustan Times
- Modi not there, but the big bash goes on Hindustan Times
- Rashid Irani's review: Fast And Furious 6 Hindustan Times
- Odisha sizzles with season's highest temperature of 47.5 degree Hindustan Times
- Cong leader remains in jail, Trinamool leader gets bail Hindustan Times
- Veil of secrecy on CSK abode Hindustan Times
- Woman sarpanch puts husband in the dock Hindustan Times
- Vindoo, two models admit Hindustan Times
- Gurunath used to place bets through Vindoo Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Bosnia president, charged with graft, freed from jail1 hour 22 minutes ago
- Bail denied to Massachusetts teen accused of Facebook terror post2 hours 3 minutes ago
- Woods heads potent field for next week's Memorial33 minutes ago
- President Obama again to serve as honorary Cup chairman1 hour 39 minutes ago
- Molinari flourishes while Donald and McIlroy falter1 hour 42 minutes ago
- Google to bankroll, build wireless networks across Africa - WSJ1 hour 11 minutes ago
- Unhappy with how your fave series is faring? Amazon gives you a say1 hour 19 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013