Reuters Market Eye - The rupee is at a new six-month low on global dollar strength after Bernanke testimony, says a dealer. The rupee is at 55.77/78 after falling to 55.86, last closed at 55.46/47. The USD/INR pair has a resistance at 55.89, a break of which may open the way for 56. Dealers say a large private refiner seen selling dollar in early session. Most emerging Asian currencies on Thursday fell as a weak China manufacturing survey increased concerns over the world's No. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- UPA happy at completion of four years; BJP bashes its performance ANI
The Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), , completed the fourth year of its second term in power on Wednesday and the government said that it had ushered More »
- UPA-II report card promises growth over 6%, coal scam probe ANI
Listing the achievements of the UPA-II government, Prime Minsiter Manmohan Singh said that in the coming year they will report directly to the people to seek a More »
- Jessica Lal case: Shayan Munshi, Prem Manocha to face perjury trial Yahoo! India News
The court earlier had suo motu taken cognisance of the matter and sought to prosecute the 19 witnesses for perjury who turned hostile. More »
- Manmohan is neither leader of party nor country: BJP IANS
As the UPA got down to celebrating its fourth anniversary, the BJP Wednesday trained its guns on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and said he was neither leader of his More »
- Woman gang-raped, friend assaulted in Bihar, two held IANS
A day after a 22-year-old woman was gang-raped and her friend was beaten up by three men in Bihar, two of the accused were arrested Wednesday, police said. More »
- Saradha scam: Suicide abetment case slapped on Sudipta Sen IANS
A suicide abetment case was registered Wednesday against suspected kingpin of Saradha Group chit fund scam Sudipta Sen and two others following the suicide of an More »
- Tradition meets modernism in German Wembley showdown Reuters
By Karolos Grohmann BERLIN (Reuters) - The all-German Champions League final on Saturday pits traditional powerhouses Bayern Munich against modernists Borussia Dortmund at London's Wembley Stadium (1845 GMT) with more at stake than Europe's premier club trophy. Bayern, four-times European champions, are Germany's richest and most successful club, while rejuvenated Borussia Dortmund won the trophy in 1997 but came to the brink of financial ruin in 2005. ...
- Pressing tactical engagement for Bayern and Dortmund Reuters
By Brian Homewood LONDON (Reuters) - Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich are bitter rivals, yet in tactical terms they offer variations on the same theme. Both press their opponents high up the pitch, can move the ball from defence to attack with bewildering speed and play with a 4-2-3-1 formation featuring wide players on each flank and a lone striker. Dortmund, however, are more lightweight and lean towards a more counter-attacking style. ...
- Good defending is simple answer to Robben riddle Reuters
- England eye series win before attention turns to Ashes Reuters
By Justin Palmer LONDON (Reuters) - Buoyed by Stuart Broad's match-winning burst at Lord's, England will look to seal a series win over New Zealand in the second and final test starting at Headingley on Friday before turning their attention to Australia in July. Broad's seven-wicket haul in the second innings of the first test bowled England to a 170-run victory as New Zealand were skittled for just 68 having matched the hosts for three days on a slow and difficult batting pitch. ...
- Man linked to Boston bombing suspect killed by FBI in Florida Reuters
By Barbara Liston and Mark Hosenball ORLANDO, Fla./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Chechen immigrant who was being questioned about his possible links to one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects was shot and killed by a federal agent in Florida on Wednesday after he suddenly turned violent, the FBI said. A friend of the dead man identified him to Reuters as 27-year-old Ibragim Todashev, who had lived in Boston and knew Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the two brothers suspected of planting two bombs at the marathon on April 15, killing three people and injuring 264. ...
- China HSBC flash PMI hits 7-mth low, fans growth fears Reuters
By Aileen Wang and Koh Gui Qing BEIJING (Reuters) - China's factory activity shrank for the first time in seven months in May as new orders fell, a preliminary survey of purchasing managers showed, adding to concerns that a recovery in the world's second-largest economy is sputtering. The flash HSBC Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) for May fell to 49.6, slipping under the 50-point level demarcating expansion from contraction for the first since October. The final HSBC PMI stood at 50.4 in April. A sub-index measuring overall new orders dropped to 49. ...
- Samsung says Galaxy S4 sales hit 10 million Reuters
SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co said sales of the latest version of its flagship Galaxy S smartphone have reached 10 million since its launch in late April, making the model its fastest selling smartphone. The S4, the South Korean firm's challenge to Apple Inc's iPhone, is already selling in 60 countries and Samsung plans to expand sales to 327 carriers in 155 countries by next month, the world's biggest smartphone maker said on Thursday. Solid sales have come even as supply issues have snarled the U.S. rollout through some carriers. ...
- JGBs dive, dollar index hits 3-year high on Bernanke comment Reuters
By Masayuki Kitano SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Japanese government bond prices dived and 10-year JGB futures tumbled a full point, prompting the Tokyo Stock Exchange to temporarily suspend trade as the dollar hit a near three-year high versus a basket of currencies on Thursday. After the resumption of trade, 10-year JGB futures recouped some of their losses but were still down 0.71 point at 141.19. The 10-year JGB yield jumped to as high as 1.0 percent, its highest level since April last year. The dollar's rise followed U.S. ...
- Gold slips after Bernanke hints at slowing bond buys Reuters
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Gold fell for a third straight session on Thursday after U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke hinted at reducing an $85 billion bond-buying programme that has increased the metal's appeal as a hedge against inflation. FUNDAMENTALS * Spot gold dropped 0.3 percent to $1,363.96 an ounce by 0018 GMT, holding near a two-year low of $1,321.35 reached in April. * The metal hit a one-week high of $1,414.25 on Wednesday after Bernanke told Congress that the U.S. economy needs further traction before it scales back monetary stimulus. ...
- U.S. acknowledges killing four Americans in drone strikes Reuters
By Mark Hosenball and David Ingram WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government formally acknowledged for the first time on Wednesday that it had killed four Americans, including militant cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who died in drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan. Attorney General Eric Holder named the dead U.S. citizens in a letter to members of Congress a day before President Barack Obama is expected to promise more transparency on national security issues in a speech on counterterrorism. ...
- In China, food scares put Mao's self-sufficiency goal at risk Reuters
By David Stanway and Niu Shuping BEIJING (Reuters) - The discovery of dangerous levels of toxic cadmium in rice sold in the southern city of Guangzhou, the latest in a series of food scandals, has piled more pressure on China to clean up its food chain - possibly at the expense of Mao Zedong's cherished goal of self-sufficiency. ...
- GM recalls more than 27,000 Cadillac crossovers with wheel issue Reuters
REUTERS - General Motors Co is recalling worldwide more than 27,000 Cadillac crossover vehicles whose wheels could fall off due to potentially loose wheel nuts. GM said on Wednesday it knows of no crashes or injuries due to the issue and that no wheels have separated from the sport utility vehicles built on car-based platforms. The recall by the largest U.S. automaker affects certain 2013 Cadillac SRX models equipped with 18-inch wheels. About 18,871 of the affected vehicles are in the United States, 913 are in Canada, and 7,397 have been exported beyond North America, a GM spokesman said. ...
- Stockholm riots challenge image of happy, generous state Reuters
By Patrick Lannin and Philip O'Connor STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Hundreds of youth have torched cars and attacked police in four nights of riots in immigrant suburbs of Sweden's capital, shocking a country that dodged the worst of the financial crisis but failed to solve youth unemployment and resentment among asylum seekers. Violence spread from the North to the South of the city on Wednesday as groups of youth pushed through Stockholm's suburbs casting stones, breaking windows and setting cars alight. Police in the southern Swedish city of Malmo said two cars had been set ablaze. ...
- U.S. immigration bill gets Senate boost; House effort teetering Reuters
By Richard Cowan WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Supporters of U.S. immigration reform are hoping that the smooth and drama-free passage of their legislation through a Senate committee - a departure from almost everything that has happened in Congress over the past four years - will boost the likelihood of the bill winning full Senate approval. Even Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa, the senior Republican on the Judiciary Committee who voted against the immigration bill on Tuesday, told Reuters TV that the "very fair" debate by the panel "does improve its chances. ...
- Bangladesh's Green Radio heralds new era of environment education IANS
Dhaka, May 23 (IANS) Nature lovers in Bangladesh can tune in to 89.6 FM for their daily dose of green awakening, courtesy a 45-minute programme which aims at bridging the gap between environmentalists and laymen by keeping them abreast of burning topics related to the sector.
- Italy has lowest graduate share in Europe IANS
Rome, May 23 (IANS/AKI) Italy has the lowest graduation rates in Europe with just one-fifth of people aged 30-34 holding a university degree, according to a study.
- Policeman shoots wife dead, commits suicide IANS
Rome, May 23 (IANS/AKI) A policeman allegedly shot his wife dead at their home in the northern Italian town of Cadoneghe and then turned the handgun on himself, officials said.
- Over 10 new oil fields found in Siberia IANS
Moscow, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Space imaging studies have revealed over 10 new oil deposits in Krasnoyarsk territory in Siberia, a scientist said.
- US tourist stabbed in Italy, loses kidney IANS
Florence, May 23 (IANS/AKI) A 68-year-old American tourist underwent emergency surgery to remove a kidney after he was stabbed in Italy's Florence city.
- Hollywood star Steven Seagal visits Chechnya IANS
Moscow, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Hollywood star Steven Seagal spent some time with Ramzan Kadyrov, the former militant fighter who now heads Chechnya, in the latest in a series of visits by Western celebrities to the volatile Russian republic.
- Six Ukrainians evacuated from Syria IANS
Kiev, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Six Ukrainian nationals have been evacuated from Syria and have returned to Kiev, the Ukrainian foreign ministry said.
- Farmer chains employee, scalds him with boiling water IANS
Moscow, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A farmer in south Russia allegedly chained up an employee and scalded him with boiling water, police said.
- Stewart, Swift new best friends? IANS
Los Angeles, May 23 (IANS) Actress Kristen Stewart was reportedly nursing her broken heart by spending an entire day at singer Taylor Swift's house here.
- Man found hanging at St. Petersburg theatre IANS
Moscow, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A workman who disappeared from St. Petersburg's Mariinsky Theatre in December was found hanging in the theatre's attic, investigators said.
- West urges Smith to get back to studio IANS
Los Angeles, May 23 (IANS) Singer Kanye West wants actor Will Smith to start making music again, but Smith says he needs to be "truly inspired".
- Drunk driver jailed for killing seven people IANS
Moscow, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A drunk driver who crashed into a bus stop in Moscow, killing two adults and five teenagers, has been sentenced to eight and a half years in prison.
- UN asks Russia for more peacekeepers IANS
New York, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has been asked to increase the level of staff it commits to UN peacekeeping missions around the world, Russian Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev said.
- Belarus dismisses US report on religious freedom IANS
Minsk, May 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Belarusian foreign ministry has dismissed part of the Religious Freedom Report published by the US State Department about the country as "outdated" and failing to take into account the current situation in the country.
- Brad Pitt's drug tales IANS
Los Angeles, May 23 (IANS) Actor Brad Pitt says he wasted a lot of time using drugs in the past. He admits he damaged his health with it just in the quest of exploring new things.
- 'Jack' the bettor sings Bollywood tune to police Hindustan Times
- Fewer allies, quiet rejoicing mark UPA's dinner party Hindustan Times
- Now,terrorism haunts SP Hindustan Times
- BJP split over PM candidate, Sushma seeks talks with allies Hindustan Times
- Quest for spirituality Hindustan Times
- Stop kids below 13 from opening FB accounts, HC tells centre Hindustan Times
- Math no longer a must for DU Commerce Hons Hindustan Times
- With Cong support, ray of hope for PPP Hindustan Times
- A T20 match both teams fiercely fought to lose Hindustan Times
- Geetika Sharma suicide case: HC seeks records Hindustan Times
- Jind rape case: Villagers to send children to school from today Hindustan Times
- Insomnia ups your risk of heart attack 3-fold Hindustan Times
- Judicious spending undercut by high inflation Hindustan Times
- SHO suspended for Bharatpur Custody death Hindustan Times
- Forget Pak, live like true Indian: Swami to Kashmiris Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Rupee at new six-month low; refiner sells dollars15 minutes ago
- China HSBC flash PMI hits 7-mth low, fans growth fears1 hour 38 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013