TUNIS (Reuters) - A Tunisian man taking part in a pro-Islamist protest in Tunisia on Sunday died after clashing with police, the state news agency said. The agency identified the man as 27-year-old Moez Dahmani. A Reuters witness saw several people injured in scuffles with police at the protest in the Ettadamen district of the capital Tunis. (Reporting By Tarek Amara; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)
Yahoo! News India
- Indian cinema on a mission at Cannes to dispel Bollywood image Reuters
Indian movie actors and a new wave of directors are on a mission at the Cannes film festival - to show that their industry, which turns 100 this year, is more than More »
- Protests by Aam Admi Party in Delhi over inflated electricity bills ANI
Supporters of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), protested against inflated electricity and water bills in New Delhi on Sunday and submitted complaint letters to the Congress More »
- Sarabjit death probe: Pakistani official may visit India IANS
A one-man inquiry tribunal comprising Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi of Lahore High Court may visit India to complete the judicial inquiry into the death of More »
- UP: 42 cops booked for alleged murder of terror suspect Ani
42 Uttar Pradesh policemen, including some top officers, were booked on Sunday for the alleged murder of Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the serial blasts in the More »
- Rahul Gandhi criticises opposition for 'stalling' Food Bill ANI
Congress Vice President Rahul has criticised the opposition parties for stalling the Food Security Bill in Parliament, and asserted the UPA government was More »
- Saudi woman creates history by reaching Mount Everest summit ANI
A Saudi woman has become the first female from the country and the youngest Arab to reach the summit of Mount Everest - the world's highest mountain. More »
- Arsenal grab Champions League spot ahead of Spurs Reuters
By Sonia Oxley REUTERS - Arsenal claimed the final Champions League spot at the expense of their arch rivals Tottenham Hotspur on the last day of the Premier League season on Sunday with a 1-0 win at Newcastle United. Defender Laurent Koscielny put visitors Arsenal ahead in the 52nd minute to secure fourth place with 73 points, one point ahead of fifth-placed Spurs who mustered a late goal from Gareth Bale to beat Sunderland 1-0 at White Hart Lane. Chelsea sealed third place on 75 points with a 2-1 win at home to Everton. ...
- 'Star Trek' sequel tops weekend box office in North America Reuters
REUTERS - Sci-fi movie "Star Trek Into Darkness" journeyed to the top of weekend box office charts as the latest voyage of the Starship Enterprise pulled in $70.6 million at U.S. and Canadian theaters. The new 3D installment in the "Star Trek" franchise knocked the mighty "Iron Man 3" to second place. The superhero sequel from Walt Disney Co's Marvel Studios grossed $35.2 million over the weekend. "Into Darkness" stars Chris Pine as Captain James T. Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock, the pointy-eared, human-Vulcan first officer. The film added $13. ...
- Indian cinema on a mission at Cannes to dispel Bollywood image Reuters
By Belinda Goldsmith CANNES (Reuters) - Indian movie actors and a new wave of directors are on a mission at the Cannes film festival - to show that their industry, which turns 100 this year, is more than just Bollywood. The largest Indian contingent to date is on the French Riviera at the world's leading cinema showcase to promote their country, which has the world's biggest film industry, making over 1,000 films a year compared to about 600 in Hollywood. ...
- Nadal and Williams win easily in Rome Reuters
By Eric Salliot ROME (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal made short work of his great rival Roger Federer to win the Italian Open, his sixth trophy of the year, 6-1 6-3 on Sunday. The crowd sitting in the sunshine at Rome's Foro Italico watched Nadal race to victory in 69 minutes on the red clay. The Spaniard, back in his best form after last year's long injury layoff, spent less time on court than Serena Williams who won her fourth consecutive tour title when she thrashed former world number one Victoria Azarenka 6-1 6-3 to take the women's title earlier on Sunday. ...
- Carlo Ancelotti's future still in doubt - reports Reuters
PARIS (Reuters) - Carlo Ancelotti's future at Paris St Germain was in doubt on Sunday when Qatar-owned television channel BeIN Sport reported that he was leaving while sporting director Leonardo said the Italian had asked to go but the club wanted him to stay. "Carlo Ancelotti will not be the PSG coach next season. He met (club president Nasser al-Khelaifi) and (sporting director) Leonardo this afternoon in Paris for more than an hour," BeIN Sport, who have television rights for Ligue 1, said on their Twitter feed. ...
- McDowell tames Thongchai to win first World Match Play Reuters
KAVARNA, Bulgaria (Reuters) - Britain's Graeme McDowell came from behind to win his maiden World Match Play Championship with a 2 & 1 victory over Thailand's Thongchai Jaidee on Sunday. Former U.S. Open Champion McDowell, the highest-ranked player in the field, battled back from two holes down after four and one at halfway to secure his eighth European Tour title. "I'm very excited because it's a massive event and it was hugely disappointing to lose the final last year," said McDowell, who was beaten by Belgium's Nicolas Colsaerts in 2012. "This was a fantastic week for me. ...
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida Reuters
By Brendan O'Brien REUTERS - A single winning ticket for a record U.S. Powerball lottery jackpot worth $590.5 million was sold in Florida, organizers said late on Saturday, but there was no immediate word about who won one of the largest jackpots in U.S. history. The winning numbers from Saturday night's drawing were: 10, 13, 14, 22 and 52, with a Powerball number of 11. The odds of winning were put at 1 in 175 million. The winning ticket was sold at a Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills, a suburb of Tampa, according to the Florida Lottery. ...
- China seeks release of fishing boat seized by N.Korea Reuters
By Adam Jourdan SHANGHAI (Reuters) - North Korean forces have seized a Chinese fishing boat, Chinese officials told state-run news agency Xinhua late on Sunday, creating a potential new irritant in ties between the two allies. Chinese counsellor to North Korea Jiang Yaxian said North Korea had "grabbed" the private vessel from the northern city of Dalian in waters between China and the Korean peninsula, according to the official news portal. Tensions have been mounting between North Korea and China, its most important economic and political backer. ...
- Netanyahu takes aim at weapons "leakage" in Syria Reuters
By Jeffrey Heller JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held out the prospect on Sunday of further Israeli strikes inside Syria, pledging to act to prevent advanced weapons from reaching Hezbollah and other militant groups. Although Israel has not publicly taken sides in the civil war between Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and rebels trying to topple him, Western and Israeli sources say it has launched air strikes in Syria to destroy weapons it believed were destined for Lebanon's Hezbollah. ...
- Cook satisfied as England hit the ground running Reuters
By Ed Osmond LONDON (Reuters) - England captain Alastair Cook was satisfied with his team's performance after they beat New Zealand by 170 runs in a fluctuating first test at Lord's on Sunday. Widely criticised following the recent 0-0 series draw in New Zealand against a side ranked six places below them, England produced a disciplined bowling display to skittle the touring side for 68 in their second innings. "It was a good test win but it's important to keep a lid on it," Cook told a news conference."We knew we wanted to hit the ground running this summer. ...
- Serena Williams beats Azarenka to win Rome title Reuters
ROME (Reuters) - Serena Williams won her fourth consecutive tennis tour title when she thrashed former world number one Victoria Azarenka 6-1 6-3 to take the Italian Open on Sunday. The American, who has not lost a match since Azarenka defeated her in the Doha final in February, completely overpowered the Belarussian on the Rome clay. Williams, 31, hit nine aces and 41 winners in the two sets played in bright sunshine. ...
- Broad bowls England to emphatic victory over NZ Reuters
By Ed Osmond LONDON (Reuters) - Stuart Broad took seven wickets to rip through the New Zealand batting order and bowl England to an emphatic 170-run victory on the fourth day of the first test at Lord's on Sunday. The touring side were skittled for 68 in just 22.3 overs, putting England 1-0 up in the two-match series and giving them the perfect start to a summer in which they also host Australia in five Ashes tests. ...
- EU says worried by Russia's human rights record Reuters
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union criticised Russia's human rights record on Sunday, saying it was increasingly concerned at a wave of restrictive legislation and prosecutions against activists. The 27-nation bloc cited the cases of protesters arrested at a demonstration on the eve of President Vladimir Putin's inauguration last year who are still awaiting trial, and a new law requiring charities with funding from abroad to register as "foreign agents". ...
- Down-on-luck singer steals show in Coen brothers Cannes film Reuters
By Alexandria Sage CANNES (Reuters) - Folk music, Greenwich Village and a quick-footed cat star in the new Coen brothers movie at the Cannes film festival on Sunday, kicking off the first of five U.S. entries with its engaging misadventures of a struggling singer. "Inside Llewyn Davis" by directing duo Ethan and Joel Coen is a delightful tale about the early 1960s folk music scene, a tribute to artists living hand to mouth, and an ode to New York all at once. ...
- BJP appoints Amit Shah as incharge of UP IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) The BJP Sunday appointed party general Amit Shah, considered close to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, as incharge of electorally crucuial Uttar Pradesh.
- SEBI warns against investing in two Bengal 'ponzi' firms IANS
Kolkata, May 19 (IANS) Continuing the heat on ponzi firms in the wake of the Saradha scam, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Sunday issued caution advertisements against two West Bengal based companies which have been raising funds under the collective investment schemes (CIS).
- Nepal, India to discuss cross-border crime IANS
Kathmandu, May 19 (IANS) Nepal and India have decided to discuss cross-border crime to curb this menace on the 1,700-km border shared by the two countries, an official said here Sunday.
- Motorsports: Team MRF deliver 1-2 finish IANS
Whangarei (New Zealand), May 19 (IANS) Team MRF achieved a 1-2 finish here Sunday with Esapekka Lappi and Gaurav Gill finishing in that order in the International Rally of Whangarei that also doubled up as the first round of the 2013 FIA Asia Pacific Rally Championship.
- South African president not involved in Gupta jet scandal: Minister IANS
Pretoria, May 19 (IANS) South African President Jacob Zuma was not involved in a wedding scandal in which a private plane of the affluent and well-connected Indian Gupta family landed at a sensitive military airbase, an investigation revealed on Sunday, reported Xinhua.
- KKR sets 131 target for Sunrisers IANS
Hyderabad, May 19 (IANS) Kolkatta Knight Riders set a target of 131 for Sunrisers Hyderabad in the must-win match for the latter, if they want to reach play-offs of the sixth Pepsi Indian Premier League (IPL), at the Rajiv Gandhi international stadium Sunday night.
- Before his death, Delhi Police inspector filed FIR on spot fixing IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) A day before he was found dead under mysteriouos circumstances last week, Delhi Police Inspector Badrish Dutt had filed a police complaint that spot fixing was to take place in the multi-crore IPL tournament and players would under-perform during agreed upon overs in exchange for huge amounts.
- IPL: Knight Riders score 130/7 against Sunrisers IANS
Hyderabad, May 19 (IANS) Kolkata Knight Riders scored 130 for seven against Sunrisers Hyderabad in an Indian Premier League (IPL) match at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium here Sunday.
- Bengal textile policy to help sector grow, say chambers IANS
Kolkata, May 19 (IANS) With the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal coming up with a draft textile policy to attract investment to revive the sector, leading industry lobbies have expressed hope that the policy roadmap would help the industry to grow significantly.
- Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments IANS
Bangalore, May 19 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah late Sunday allocated portfolios to his new 28-member ministry, keeping key posts such as finance, energy, industries, IT and Bangalore city with himself.
- Chhattisgarh orders judicial probe into civilians' killing IANS
Raipur, May 19 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government Sunday ordered a judicial probe into allegations that troopers in an anti-Maoist operation killed civilians in Bijapur district, and announced compensation for the families of the victims.
- Bangladeshis being trafficked to Brazil IANS
London, May 19 (IANS) Police in Brazil have identified a gang specialising in trafficking Bangladeshi nationals into the country, a media report said.
- Women cases getting top priority after Delhi gang-rape: Judge IANS
Gurgaon, May 19 (IANS) Supreme Court's Justice P. Sathasivam, who is also the executive chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA), Sunday said that cases related to women are being given priority by courts after the Delhi gang-rape.
- Three kids hurt as high tension wire snaps IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Three children, aged between one and five, suffered minor injuries after a high tension electricity wire here fell on a wall which collapsed and trapped the victims under its debris Sunday afternoon, said a fire service official.
- Three newspaper employees murdered in Tripura IANS
Agartala, May 19 (IANS) Three newspaper employees, including a manager, were killed by two unidentified assailants at their office here Sunday, police said.
- MP: youth molests girl, accused's father sets her ablaze Hindustan Times
- Gurgaon: Constable accused of rape Hindustan Times
- Cricket betting reveals its pan-India presence Hindustan Times
- Chandila went expensive shopping with the bookie Hindustan Times
- Rape-accused doc flees while on way to police station Hindustan Times
- Moveable feasts Hindustan Times
- Rape survivor comes to terms, awaits another surgery Hindustan Times
- Question their interest in this time of conflict Hindustan Times
- Police seek footage from the official broadcast channel Hindustan Times
- Hidden, in plain sight Hindustan Times
- NCP legislator booked for assault in bank faces arrest Hindustan Times
- Developers axe old tree, NMC residents protest Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Before his death, Delhi Police inspector filed FIR on spot fixing1 hour 6 minutes ago
- Karnataka CM allots portfolios, retains key departments1 hour 44 minutes ago
- Chhattisgarh orders judicial probe into civilians' killing2 hours 8 minutes ago
- Tunisian Islamist protester dies in clash with police24 minutes ago
- China seeks release of fishing boat seized by N.Korea1 hour 30 minutes ago
- Netanyahu takes aim at weapons "leakage" in Syria1 hour 40 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013