LONDON (Reuters) - Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng and Venezuela centre back Fernando Amorebieta have both joined Premier League Fulham on free transfers, the club said on Wednesday. Boateng, 30, has 46 caps for his country and joins Fulham from Ukrainian side FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk on an extendable one-year deal after playing against the west London club in last season's Europa League qualification round. ...
Yahoo! News India
Best of Videos
- Manmohan is neither leader of party nor country: BJP IANS
As the UPA got down to celebrating its fourth anniversary, the BJP Wednesday trained its guns on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and said he was neither leader of his More »
- Woman gang-raped, friend assaulted in Bihar, two held IANS
A day after a 22-year-old woman was gang-raped and her friend was beaten up by three men in Bihar, two of the accused were arrested Wednesday, police said. More »
- Saradha scam: Suicide abetment case slapped on Sudipta Sen IANS
A suicide abetment case was registered Wednesday against suspected kingpin of Saradha Group chit fund scam Sudipta Sen and two others following the suicide of an More »
- BJP urges Andhra governor to sack tainted ministers IANS
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday urged Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan to sack six allegedly tainted state ministers. More »
- Mamata violated model code, Congress tells poll panel IANS
Leaders of the Congress in West Bengal Wednesday met Chief Election Commissioner V.S. Sampath to lodge a complaint against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for More »
- Luis Suarez to have another summer with Liverpool: Rodgers ANI
Liverpool is expecting to retain Luis Suarez for another summer, if Reds boss Brendan Rogers is to be believed. More »
- Perez still confident McLaren can win Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - McLaren can win races this season despite their car still being some way off the pace, Mexican Sergio Perez said on Wednesday. "That's the target. To win a race or a couple of races," the driver told reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix where last year he set the fastest lap for Sauber. "We know that at the moment there's no chance, no way we can think of that but we have to give our best...no-one in the team is giving up. "I am very proud of my whole team that they are not giving up and I am sure that we will win some races this year. ...
- Del Potro pulls out of French Open - reports Reuters
PARIS (Reuters) - World number seven Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina has pulled out of next week's French Open tennis after failing to recover from a virus, Argentine media reported on Wednesday. Del Potro, who reached the quarter-finals at the claycourt grand-slam event last year, flew home after losing to Frenchman Benoit Paire in the Rome Masters event last 16 last week. "I am sad to miss such an important tournament, one that you always dream of winning," Del Potro was quoted as saying by the daily Ultima Hora's website (www.ultimahora.com). ...
- Former England striker Cole to leave West Ham Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Former England striker Carlton Cole is leaving West Ham United after seven seasons at the club. Cole, 29, played 237 times and scored 57 goals for the Hammers but netted only two goals in 29 appearances in the 2012-13 season. He was overshadowed by on-loan striker Andy Carroll who West Ham are hoping to sign from Liverpool on a permanent basis for a club record fee of around 15 million pounds. West Ham manager Sam Allardyce told the club's website (www.whufc.co.uk): "Carlton's need at his age is to be playing football as often as he can. ...
- New Zealand's Watling ruled out of second test Reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - New Zealand wicketkeeper BJ Watling has been ruled out of the second test against England starting at Headingley on Friday because of a knee injury, New Zealand Cricket said on Wednesday. "Watling, who injured his left knee diving for a run out on the third day of the first test, trained with the side at Headingley this morning but was ruled out after training," a team statement said. Captain Brendon McCullum will keep wicket in a match the visitors must win to square the two-match series after Sunday's 170-run defeat at Lord's. ...
- Britain calls emergency meeting after man killed in London Reuters
By Li-mei Hoang LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister David Cameron called an emergency security meeting on Wednesday after a man was killed near an army barracks in London, and two men were shot and wounded by police. Media reports said the dead man was a British soldier who was hacked to death by unidentified assailants. Some reports suggested his attackers tried to behead him while shouting "God is greatest" in Arabic. "This is a sickening and barbaric attack," Home Secretary Theresa May said in a statement. ...
- I wouldn't have won 2012 Open with short putter, says Els Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Ernie Els would not have won last year's British Open without the aid of a belly putter, the South African four-times major champions said on Wednesday. Golf's governing bodies announced on Tuesday a ban on the anchoring of putters from 2016 and Els believes he would have had little chance of lifting the Claret Jug if he been forced to use a more conventional approach on the greens at Lytham last July. ...
- Garcia sorry after 'stupid' Woods fried chicken jibe Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Sergio Garcia said "sorry" 11 times and used the word "apology" on five occasions as he spoke of his regret at causing a furore by making a "fried chicken" jibe at world number one Tiger Woods. Spaniard Garcia told reporters on Wednesday that his comment, made at the European Tour Player of the Year awards the night before, was "stupid and out of place" and said he regretted it the moment he made it. Fourteen-times major winner Woods, whose relationship with the Spaniard is frosty at best, was in unforgiving mood earlier in the day. ...
- Mourinho, Ronaldo get two-match bans for Cup final reds Reuters
MADRID (Reuters) - Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo were handed two-match bans in the King's Cup after they were sent off in last week's final at the Bernabeu, the Spanish football federation (RFEF) said on Wednesday. Mourinho was dismissed for vigorously disputing a refereeing decision in the 75th minute of Friday's 2-1 final defeat by Atletico Madrid. The Portuguese will not serve his punishment in next season's Spanish cup competition as he agreed to leave the club by mutual consent on Monday. Media speculation has linked him with a possible return to Chelsea. ...
- Alonso suggests Red Bull sound like sore losers Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Red Bull sound like sore losers for complaining about the Formula One tyres, Ferrari's Fernando Alonso suggested on Wednesday. The Spaniard, winner in China in April and Barcelona this month, told reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix that it was up to the champions to explain their comments but offered a theory of his own anyway. "We know that Barcelona was a good race for us and not so good for some of our competitors," he said. "Some of these competitors claim to have a super car but the last three pole positions were for another car, when the tyres were new. ...
- McIlroy tight-lipped on management split Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - World number two Rory McIlroy refused on Wednesday to confirm reports he had parted company with his management group, Horizon Sports. Close friend and fellow Northern Irishman Graeme McDowell suggested at last week's World Match Play Championship in Bulgaria that McIlroy had split with Horizon. "Look, I'm here to talk about golf and I cannot really comment on speculation at this point," the U.S. PGA Championship winner told reporters on the eve of the PGA Championship at Wentworth. "Obviously you guys know that something's up. ...
- Hamilton lets sleeping dogs lie - and snore Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Lewis Hamilton made his point and Roscoe, his pampered pet bulldog, promptly proved him right at the Monaco Grand Prix on Wednesday. Positioning, the 2008 Formula One world champion told British reporters gathered round him in the Mercedes harbourside motorhome, is everything in Monaco. The Briton was referring to the special skills required to win the most glamorous and glittering race on the calendar but Roscoe demonstrated that positioning was important in other ways as well. ...
- Adriano's versatility helps secure new Barca contract Reuters
MADRID (Reuters) - Barcelona utility player Adriano Correia has agreed a four-year contract extension until 2017, the La Liga champions said in a statement on Wednesday. The Brazilian, who was signed from Sevilla in 2010, has a buy-out clause of 90 million euros. "He's become known as one of the most versatile players on Barcelona's roster," Barca said. "He's performed well in the centre back position, as well as the right and left full back positions, and as an attacking midfielder. ...
- Monaco ace Webber loves the race, not the place Reuters
By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - As a race, Mark Webber loves Monaco. As a place, he would much rather be somewhere else. Red Bull's gritty Australian racer has won the most glamorous event on the Formula One calendar twice in the last three years and counts doing so as one of the greatest thrills of his career. The great outdoors remains his favourite surroundings, however, and unlike most other drivers he has shunned the Mediterranean millionaires' and tax exiles' playground for a more normal life with his dogs and partner in the English countryside. ...
- Olazabal dreaming of Ryder Cup playing comeback Reuters
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Jose Maria Olazabal knows it is a long shot at the age of 47 but he has not given up hope of making a Ryder Cup return as a player at Gleneagles next year. The inspirational Spaniard was Europe's captain at the 2012 edition in Illinois where his team produced a remarkable comeback to beat Davis Love's U.S. side by 14 1/2 points to 13 1/2. After spending almost two years planning and fretting over the biennial team event, Olazabal is back working on his own game and feels a return to the playing ranks is just about within his reach. ...
- IPL scoreboard: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Rajasthan Royals IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) The scoreboard of the Indian Premier League Eliminator between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Rajasthan Royals at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Wednesday.
- Royals beat Sunrisers in IPL Eliminator IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Rajasthan Royals beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by four wickets in the Indian Premier League Eliminator at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Wednesday.
- Tendulkar out of IPL with hand injury IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Sachin Tendulkar will not take further part in the Indian Premier League owing to an injury on his left hand, his team Mumbai Indians said Wednesday.
- Spot fixing fails to dampen IPL fans' spirit IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) The spot fixing scandal in the Indian Premier League seems to have had little impact on the enthusiasm of cricket fans as there was a huge crowd in attendence for the eliminator between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Rajasthan Royals at the Ferozeshah Kotla here Wednesday.
- One killed, two injured in London attack IANS
London, May 22 (IANS) Two men attacked a man near the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich in Southeast London Wednesday afternoon, leaving one dead, two injured, Britain's Metropolitan Police said.
- Firemen still battling Coca Cola yard blaze IANS
Gurgaon, May 22 (IANS) Firemen were still trying to douse a fire that broke out in the stock yard of Coca Cola company here in Udyog Vihar a day before, an official said Wednesday.
- Ghaziabad trader, six of family murdered, valuables looted IANS
Ghaziabad, May 22 (IANS) A businessman and six members of his family, including his three grand-children, were murdered in their house here Wednesday and cash and valuables worth over Rs.1 crore looted, police said.
- Iran's n-power plant to be launched 'shortly': Russian agency IANS
Moscow, May 22 (IANS ) Iran's first nuclear power plant in Bushehr could start working "shortly", Xinhua reported Wednesday, quoting Russia's state atomic energy agency Rosatom.
- Manmohan, Sonia praise one another IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) On the ninth anniversary of the UPA government Wednesday, its two key figures - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi - praised one another.
- Government taking corrective steps, says PM IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Attempting to dispel the public perception about lack of governance and charges of policy paralysis, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday said his government is taking corrective steps to set things right.
- With Sonia backing, PM vows to build better India IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Marking nine years of the UPA government, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday promised to build "an economically resurgent and socially just India" and unveil a transparent regime to do away with corruption.
- Jessica case: Shayan Munshi to face trial for perjury IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday ordered that a case of perjury be registered against Bollywood actor Shayan Munshi and ballistic expert Prem Sagar Manocha for turning hostile during their deposition in the murder trial of model Jessica Lall here.
- Dikshit misused public money: Lokayukta IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Delhi Lokayukta Manmohan Sarin Wednesday came down heavily on Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for misusing public money to "gain favour" for her and her political party ahead of the assembly polls in 2008.
- Government misleading people: BJP IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) While the UPA counted its achievements in the nine years of its rule, the BJP Wednesday said the government was "misleading" the people.
- Highlights of PM, Sonia speeches IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Highlights of what Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi said Wednesday at the UPA-II's fourth anniversary:
- AMRI to move court against Mamata govt Hindustan Times
- Barkha Bisht: new mom for Parvarrish Hindustan Times
- Taking stock of stalking Hindustan Times
- Li Keqiang reaches out with 'handshake across the Himalayas' Hindustan Times
- Modi charts out road map for 2014 elections Hindustan Times
- SC calls for change in Air Force Act Hindustan Times
- Pushed to breaking point again Hindustan Times
- Mumbai beats NCR in commercial property returns Hindustan Times
- UP chief minister warns IAS officers Hindustan Times
- Another MP minor dies after being raped and set on fire Hindustan Times
- Sonia Gandhi, Manmohan Singh to unveil UPA report card today Hindustan Times
- If leaders are on same page, success follows Hindustan Times
- UPA banks on reforms for 2014 polls Hindustan Times
- Vidya Balan meets Chiranjeevi at Cannes Hindustan Times
- UP cops on Akhilesh security duty thrash each other with lathis Hindustan Times
Follow Us on Facebook
- Firemen still battling Coca Cola yard blaze1 hour 7 minutes ago
- Ghaziabad trader, six of family murdered, valuables looted1 hour 11 minutes ago
- Manmohan, Sonia praise one another1 hour 25 minutes ago
- Analysis: From opera to exercises, U.S. and China deepen military ties1 hour 13 minutes ago
- Iran pushes ahead with new nuclear plant that worries West1 hour 31 minutes ago
- Fulham sign Boateng and Amorebieta on free transfers11 minutes ago
- Perez still confident McLaren can win12 minutes ago
- Del Potro pulls out of French Open - reports14 minutes ago
- SAP looks to recruit people with autism as programmers1 hour 9 minutes ago
- British opposition leader says Google tax behaviour "wrong"2 hours 3 minutes ago
- Happy Birthday Ali Zafar!Sat 18 May, 2013
- Boman Irani hurts his knee on the sets of SANTA BANTASat 18 May, 2013
- Sonakshi Sinha takes painting tips from Salman KhanSat 18 May, 2013